New crankset choice: SiSl2 or THM M3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new crankset, not because I necessarily need one (my DA9000 crank is performing well), but because I'd like to shave a few grams off, and remove the only area of non-black on my stealth-built Parlee, which has been affecting my OCD. As I see it, in my price bracket, there are two main options:

1. Cannondale SiSL2. Cost in UK about £550 (inc BB), weight 610g. Nice looking crank, would need to remove some/all of the decals, but I think this would fit the bill well.

2. THM M3 - Cost shipped to UK over £750 (plus BB), weight circa 580g. Amazing looking crank in matte (IMHO), and wouldn't need to 'change' a thing. The pricing delta may be the only real issue I can see.

Stiffness to weight is comparable (according to the most-excellent review by Fairwheel). So I suppose the question is down to real-world use: which of these options is going to give me fewer headaches in the long run?! I've read about cracked SiSL2's and their propensity to 'creak', but heard nothing bad about THM, other than my own personal experience of having chain rub with Praxis rings in the extreme ends of the gearing spectrum.

So which should plump for? Thoughts would be gratefully received!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

topflightpro

by topflightpro

The creak you refer to regarding the SISL2 is related to the bearings in the frame, not the crankset. So that is not really an issue.

I also don't believe you can remove the graphics from the SISL2. I think they are laser etched into the anodizing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

That's interesting, it's the first I've heard about the decals being laser etched. That might swing it for me, I really don't like the 'Cannondale' or 'Hollowgram' decals. Shame.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If you like the weight of M3 and like to cut the cost, you should really consider FSA K-Force Light BB 386 EVO.
It shift very well and has all the stiffness you need. Look great in Black/Grey.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

idinfo68

by idinfo68

wheelsONfire wrote:If you like the weight of M3 and like to cut the cost, you should really consider FSA K-Force Light BB 386 EVO.
It shift very well and has all the stiffness you need. Look great in Black/Grey.

Completely agree ! 565 grs with 50x34...
www.baron-noir.com

Specialized Aethos SUB5
Specialized Tarmac SL6 - 5.16 kgs
Scott SPARK RC 900 SL SUB 8
Specialized Epic HT - 6.18 kgs

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

wheelsONfire wrote:If you like the weight of M3 and like to cut the cost, you should really consider FSA K-Force Light BB 386 EVO.

What is the weight of the crank arms + spindle (no chainrings, no BB) on a scale?

The complete weight of the FSA K-Force Light 386EVO is 672.3 Grams.

The THM M3 complete weight is 579.9 Grams. That's crank arms + spindle + BB + chainrings

That's nearly 100g difference for the complete crankset. Not even close.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

prendrefeu wrote:

What is the weight of the crank arms + spindle (no chainrings, no BB) on a scale?

The THM M3 complete weight is 579.9 Grams. That's crank arms + spindle + BB + chainrings

That's nearly 100g difference for the complete crankset.

closest I can come to that

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks! No need to quote everything. :)

Unfortunately that isnt the crank in question. :(
But it does show that an incomplete crankset from FSA does come close to the weight of the complete crankset of THM M3. :lol:
Therefore, no, the FSA is nowhere near the weight of THM M3.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

make sure your frame can even use the sisl2. it is very specific to cannondale. certain specialized bikes can use it but many other bikes cannot use the sisl2 but every bike can use the thm

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

prendrefeu wrote:

That's nearly 100g difference for the complete crankset. Not even close.

Say what!? Who supplied you with that info, it is dead wrong if you talk of the crankset without BB!

I have two cranksets, the weight tolerance is +/-5%

Both 172.5mm arms, both 52/36 rings. One is 580 grams and the other is 560 grams.

Without rings it's 420 grams complete.

You must refer to an older model. Mine shift superb and looks great!

These chainrings shift extremely well and are super stiff.

I have no idea how the older sets were, but i can tell you the late version is a great set.

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... -bb386evo/

EDIT: This is for a crankset, NO BB!!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Qman

by Qman

The Parlee website says the Z-Zero has a PF30 BB, so both of those cranks will fit.

Another choice is Specialized. To match your bike you can remove the branding and use the carbon spider. The weight listed in the latest Crank Shootout is higher than any other one that I've seen, but I'm not sure why. My older one with a custom compact spider is 535g complete with bearings (and very light chainrings). The other benefit is that you can get them for much less money, particularly if you get a used one.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

SWorks is possibly a good call. My LBS has one for sale, could be had for a good price. It's not quite as nice as the THM, but without decals it could do the job.

Seems like there are no UK stockists of the compact SiSl2 at the moment anyway - possibly because of a new model coming out?! Pure speculation, especially given the new Si, But it would be good. I've seen them fitted to Z-Zeros before and they look ace.

I'd love a THM, but cost just looks too high, arguably for too little gain.

Don't think FSA fits the bill, but thanks for the suggestion.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Specialized cranks can also have the spider swapped out relatively easily to go from 110-130mm and an SRM/Quarq/p2m spider fitted. I've owned both the Sworks Fact 11 and Standard fact 10 and have never had an issue with them bar the small adjuster working loose on one set of cranks, that was my fault tho :)
Using Tapatalk

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

wheelsONfire wrote:Say what!? Who supplied you with that info, it is dead wrong if you talk of the crankset without BB!

You need to read carefully.
and the weight came from FairwheelBike's review. I do believe they state weights accurately. ;)

Complete = crank arms + spindle + chainrings + BB

You also, by your own post, proved my point: the complete M3 is around 100g less than a complete FSA K-Lite 386EVO.
Your incomplete FSA weighs similar to a complete M3.

The FSA is a lardo by comparison, mate. There is no debating reality.

Again, read carefully. Thanks. :thumbup:

nikotin

by nikotin

I would go for THM, it looks strange to me to use Cannondale parts on non-Cannondale frameset. Clavicula SE has even less weight and it doesn't matter its cost :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com