New crankset choice: SiSl2 or THM M3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Oki! Well, for me it's useless to compare with a BB. I have direct-fit bearings and different BB weight can differ pending on who made it.

A BB usually is along in a frameset, i think no one pull out an installed BB from a new bought frame.

I have Rotor 3D+ MAS, Shimano DA 9000 and the K-F Light so i can clearly see and what all parts is on my scale here.

Ofcourse, the über choice is Clavicula SE, but it also cost more than twice the FSA crank.

M3 is probably nice, but if i would have this option M3 would be out directly for Clavicula SE.

I have seen many suggestions of Shimano cranks weight, it pends over 50 grams for same setup from what i have seen.

Atleast i compare from same scale and same size rings and crankarms.

No BB included.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Qman wrote:The Parlee website says the Z-Zero has a PF30 BB, so both of those cranks will fit.

Another choice is Specialized. To match your bike you can remove the branding and use the carbon spider. The weight listed in the latest Crank Shootout is higher than any other one that I've seen, but I'm not sure why. My older one with a custom compact spider is 535g complete with bearings (and very light chainrings). The other benefit is that you can get them for much less money, particularly if you get a used one.

I weighed my S-Works the other day with your spider (Qman) and Extralite MC rings and bolts (I left the bearings in the frame). Weight came in at 492.5g.
:beerchug:

topflightpro

by topflightpro

greentimgreen wrote:That's interesting, it's the first I've heard about the decals being laser etched. That might swing it for me, I really don't like the 'Cannondale' or 'Hollowgram' decals. Shame.

I was mistaken in my comment. The original silver arms had Cannondale laser etched to the inside of the arms - it was very lightly done and not terribly noticeable. But on the black anodized arms, the logos appear to be all decals.

And I agree, the Cannondale on the inside of the arms is not attractive.

Qman

by Qman

I weighed my S-Works the other day with your spider (Qman) and Extralite MC rings and bolts (I left the bearings in the frame). Weight came in at 492.5g.
:beerchug:

Good to hear!
That's around 550g complete with bearings, which is roughly the same as the M3 for a fraction of the cost.
I'm curious how well those mid-compact rings will shift.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

prendrefeu wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:The FSA is a lardo by comparison, mate. There is no debating reality.

Complete with PF30 BB my system weight for a 2014 FSA BB386 is 638g (53x39, 170mm). No doubt Claviula is significantly lighter as a complete system. They are also about as stiff as each other according to fairwheel. The FSA feels like the stiffest crank Ive ridden, so by saving an extra 60-100g, the Clavicula is a very impressive piece of kit.

As such, I vote clavicula by a country mile. think about how much you earn in a week. If it takes less than a week for you to save 150 pounds, a few extra hours work, then why not be patient and get what is probably the best.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

djconnel

by djconnel

I don't regret my Lightnings, which are going strong after around 5 years.
https://www.lightningbikes.com/cgi-bin/ ... OAD_CRANKS

Comparing cranks on stiffness/weight is a bit silly. It's stiffness you'll feel, not stiffness/weight. If you want more stiffness the weight, which is a truly marginal difference, is worth it. The Lightnings aren't super stiff, but I don't think the flex at my weight and power is significant.

But all other things equal I'd be tempted to go with metal cranks due to lower hysteresis losses.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I can't feel any difference between my DA9000 and THM M3 stiffness wise. I do miss the looks of the m3.. Which I had to send back to THM when I broke the NDS arm.. I might upgrade to SE version.. Just waiting for THM to get back to me.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's a pitty i can't x-ray my FSA crankset. I sanded none driveside logo off and rounded off a few edges.

400 grams without bolts. I think we could lower weight more, but i have no clue of wall thickness.

M3 is 385 grams with spyder. I think i could hit that if i weren't such a chicken ;-)
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

zappafile123

by zappafile123

spdntrxi wrote:I can't feel any difference between my DA9000 and THM M3 stiffness wise. I do miss the looks of the m3.. Which I had to send back to THM when I broke the NDS arm.. I might upgrade to SE version.. Just waiting for THM to get back to me.

Thats surprising. If The M3 and the FSA BB386 are meant to be approximately as stiff as each other, there should be a noticeable difference - I certainly noticed the transition from 9000 cranks to FSA
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

zappafile123 wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:The FSA is a lardo by comparison, mate. There is no debating reality.

Complete with PF30 BB my system weight for a 2014 FSA BB386 is 638g (53x39, 170mm). No doubt Claviula is significantly lighter as a complete system. They are also about as stiff as each other according to fairwheel. The FSA feels like the stiffest crank Ive ridden, so by saving an extra 60-100g, the Clavicula is a very impressive piece of kit.

As such, I vote clavicula by a country mile. think about how much you earn in a week. If it takes less than a week for you to save 150 pounds, a few extra hours work, then why not be patient and get what is probably the best.

That quote must have been a mix up? It's not me who wrote that!

For what it matters, i am not interested in what the BB weight is. I can't even use them as i have a direct-fit, which is a pair of 6806 pressed in direcly.

Also, i don't know what your income is or if you have loans and/ or other expenses. But i can assure you i am not a high income person.

My bikes may suggest i would have an income that is *2-4 times as much as i have.

I don't understand why some of you argue that complete crankset is always with a BB?

Just because Fairwheels set that ideal in their test, doesn't mean this is the standard of things.

Actually most cranksets you buy come without BB.

Looking at all of my bought cranksets, none come with a BB.

Also think something is missed here. You can build a super set of crankarms and spyder, what does that matter if you use chainrings that shift worse?

If you buy a superb crankarm kit, you should have the best shifting chainrings.

It's much worse if the chainrings shift badly and flex, than if the crankarms flex.

For those who care i can say that FSA own chainrings only works with this specific crank.

Yes, they carry some weight, but the shifting is excellent.

Next thing. I am not sure i find the value in such an expensive crank as Clavicula SE.

I have no clue what is happening next time Shimano, Campa, Sram, FSA, Rotor aso releases a new groupset.

Maybe a new crankset that is lower in weight will come with the next groupset.

In the meanwhile, i have my lightly sanded FSA crank weighted at my scale as used and complete at 560 grams.

My second set was 560 grams, same size of rings and same lenght crankarms.

For your information, my BB which still is a pair of 6806 is 48 grams.

The crankarms, spyder and spindle is 400 grams. The sanded is a few grams below that.

EDIT:

Let's check what is included with THM Clavicula SE (NO BB!)

Extent of supply

The “Clavicula SE” extent of supply comprises the following components:

Axle crank
Crank, left
Adjusting bolt, M12x1
Tapered lock bushing
Spacer, 2mm
Instruction book

Bearing system and assembly tools are not part of the extent of supply and must be specified separately when making an order!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

zappafile123

by zappafile123

That quote must have been a mix up? It's not me who wrote that!

For what it matters, i am not interested in what the BB weight is. I can't even use them as i have a direct-fit, which is a pair of 6806 pressed in direcly.

Also, i don't know what your income is or if you have loans and/ or other expenses. But i can assure you i am not a high income person.

My bikes may suggest i would have an income that is *2-4 times as much as i have.

Yeah I think there was a mix up. The comment about weight was directed to prendrefeu. The bit about 'how much you earn and which you should chose' was directed to greentimgreen.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Update, order placed: went for THM M3 in 172.5mm Matte. Will post pictures and weights when they arrive! Thanks for all the responses and advice!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

liketoride

by liketoride

I just ripped my sisl2's in half last night. Drive side arm ripped in the middle. Never seen that, will post a pic tonight

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've owned all 3 cranks mentioned minus FSA. The Lightning cranks aren't super stiff and I didn't notice that until I rode my new clavicula cranks. THM cranks are stiff and you can instantly tell the difference. I also rode a set of SISL cranks for a bit. They were perfectly in the middle of the THM and lightning cranks. You also have to factor in the rings. I used Extralite rings on the Lightning and praxis on the THM and SISL cranks. I'm pretty sure I was feeling more flex in the rings versus the crank arms.

You made the right choice with the THM cranks. I'm looking for another set, they're that good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ras11

by ras11

One thought to consider is the power meter options now. I have a lighting Quarq that is ~7year old, which is similar to the Specilized cranks, a very light combination for the time. But the lightest cranks based power meter options (new stages and 4iii precision) are not, to my knowledge best suited for carbon cranks. The lightest total solution might be the SiSL if you factor in the power options.
:-) Toys-R-Us