Custom Carbon Framebuilders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

One of the first to offer custom layups was Rolo. A WW member started the company - do a search here. There was some nice buzz about them a couple years ago.
http://rolobikes.com/

kfreytag

by kfreytag

If I were starting over and had no experience with any of these builders, I'd take a hard look at Crumpton, but I'm unbelievably happy with my choice of Parlee.

I went with a Parlee Z-Zero because I was coming from a Parlee Z3. I knew the brand and I knew how the handmade bikes rode (generally). I loved the Z3, but it died an unfortunate death into the side of a misbehaving minivan (see detached headtube, below).

The standard Parlee M/L Tall fit me well, as I'm proportioned pretty "normally", and I weight ~155lbs., so I didn't absolutely *need* anything custom, but I wanted to make a few changes:

1. I wanted the top tube to hit the head tube at a point closed to the headset (for the tall sizes, they just extend the headtube 2cm, and I think it looks a little weird).
  2. I wanted an ISP
  3. I wanted to change the trail of the front-end ever so slightly to match the trail on my CAAD9. (yes, I get the irony of custom building a $10k frame to match a $700 frame).
  4. I'm *really* anal-retentive, and I have my fit down to millimeters at this point.

I wasn't going for a specific layup in the carbon, though I did select specific tubes for specific parts of the bike based on my weight and desired riding characteristics. In the end, though, I trusted Parlee to make better decisions than I could when putting together the holistic product, as they have smidge more experience at this than I do.

They sent me a Z5 SLi while I was waiting on my Z-Zero (long story), and it's a very nice bike, but it's not a Z3 and it's not a Z-Zero.

The only comment is on customer service -- now that they have an Asian-made monocoque bike as their bread-and-butter, Parlee has gotten large. They aren't really interested in talking to end consumers, so you'll need to go through your LBS, even if you've got Tom Rodi's email address.

If I had this to do over again, I'd still choose the Z-Zero. I have three road bikes (currently), and the other two collect dust unless it's just truly shitty outside.

Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Man, I wish I could justify a Z-zero, I absolutely love yours. I just don't think I have the diplomatic skills to get permission from my other half. Congrats on a stunning bike :beerchug:

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

How is there not more mention of Argonaut in this thread???

HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE FRAMES?!

kfreytag

by kfreytag

I really like the top tube / seat stays / seat tube cluster on the ISP. Very well executed. Not crazy about the "Sacha White" seat mast topper, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Don't know much about Argonaut (and am astoundingly lazy right now). What makes them special?
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

Bely

by Bely

Either the argonaut or the Parlee z zero is next for me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

GonaSovereign wrote:One of the first to offer custom layups was Rolo. A WW member started the company - do a search here. There was some nice buzz about them a couple years ago.
http://rolobikes.com/

I really want a Rolo. Not those hideous paint works they have, it should be clean. But i could never afford that.

Even the most exotic Ax Lightness Ultra cost less. It's too expensive!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Let's hope Argonaut start to use a tapered headtube!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

wheelsONfire wrote:Let's hope Argonaut start to use a tapered headtube!

He does, he uses 44mm head tubes that utilize Chris King I8 headsets (Chris King + Argonaut collaborated to design the headset) for 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" tapered steer tubes.

Chris King and Argonaut are both out of Portland, so they seem to work very closely together.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

No, you are wrong!

This CK headset is for straight head tubes of 44mm internal diameter.

https://www.chrisking.com/product/inset-8/

The lower headset is an external cup design.

What i talk of is a tapered head tube in design.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

wheelsONfire wrote:No, you are wrong!

This CK headset is for straight head tubes of 44mm internal diameter.

https://www.chrisking.com/product/inset-8/

The lower headset is an external cup design.

What i talk of is a tapered head tube in design.

May I ask what the difference is? Isn't the more important part the fork steer tube? I can't imagine a 44mm head tube being much different in stiffness than a tapered one?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That can be debated! Mostly seen at titanium frames these days due to the cost of making a truely tapered headtube instead of using a straight tube.

For the technical, i think it's better if you google it. I have a ti frame which is just like this. I decided to use and standard 1 1/8 headset and a straight fork, instead of

the inset 8 approach. If you look at Legend bikes, they actually made a true tapered head tube at their ti models

http://www.legendfactory.it/eng/collezione.php

Or ask Legend bikes (or Passoni) so there is no doubt and you'll get the word(s) from a true professional builder.

Sooner or later i guess Argonaut will make true tapered. Probably pending on clients being more persistent!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Bely

by Bely

Hi does anyone have any real world ride reports/workmanship on an argonaut vs Parlee z zero?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Werking
in the industry

by Werking

I'm starting to build my custom Carbon frame in this year. Actually I made two models of bonded Carbon frame with custom layup. In the early 2016 I will build a new model with some Carbon layup and tube technology improvement.

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk
http://werking.cc - Handcrafted bicycles - Made in Italy

http://alpitude.cc - bike components