Custom Carbon Framebuilders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Werking wrote:I'm starting to build my custom Carbon frame in this year. Actually I made two models of bonded Carbon frame with custom layup. In the early 2016 I will build a new model with some Carbon layup and tube technology improvement.

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

These are beautiful bikes!!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

morrisond

by morrisond

Bely wrote:Hi does anyone have any real world ride reports/workmanship on an argonaut vs Parlee z zero?

Thank you

I have an Argonaut and I had a Z5SLI.

I have never ridden an Z-Zero but if it's like the Z5 it should be pretty special. The Z5 rode fantastically, but it wasn't that sharp. That can easily be corrected in Geometry.

Almost all my bikes I mimic Storck Geometry.

The Build quality on the Argonaut is insane. The inside of the BB and the headtube look as good as the outside. The visible layers of carbon on the outside are a work of art.

Ben nailed my bike exactly in terms of what I asked for. Fantastic supple ride quality with the stiffness of a Storck.

At my LBS who sell both Parlee and Argonaut the common consensus is that the Parlee doesn't hold a candle to Argonaut in terms of build quality. Zero's are still great bikes but at about the same price for the frame (Actually more for the Parlee) the value just doesn't seem to be there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bely

by Bely

Thank you for your experience & insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Thanks Morrisond, I've been speaking with Ben for a few days now, think I'm going to put my deposit down next week! From what I've seen his work is incredible.

Monte

by Monte

Any recent updates on this topic?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Add Berk to the mix...his custom frames have gotten stellar reviews

VTBike

by VTBike

I currently have a Festka One on order, hoping to see it in late June. I went through the usual list of subjects talked about here, and was going back and forth. What it came down to was value and quality. The Festka can be had for thousands less than the Argonaut, and the carbon layup is wound & tuned, which is uncommon - but really appealed to me. I also really love what Festka says about themselves and the bikes. They are a small team that really seems to be passionate about what they do (this isn't uncommon in small builders, of course, but I liked what Festka says in particular).

I went with custom geo, ISP, internally routed rear break, and E-Tap specific frame. Also went with naked carbon and custom paint scheme. Total cost at $5300. The downsides to me are largely weight - the Festka will not be as light as the Argonaut. They project my frame with ISP to weigh in around 1kg (60cm equivalent). Given that a good seatpost is about 200g, that puts the frame on par with an 800/850g non-ISP, which isn't bad at all - but not as light as the Argonaut w/ ISP i imagine.

The other downside is the external lower BB cup. I couldn't get the option for lower internal bearing headset unless I went with their lightweight frame layup, which added $2k to the cost. I can't comment on the finish and real detail craftsmanship yet, but everything I've heard about the bikes indicate it's top notch. We'll see!

campbellrae

by campbellrae

It sounds like our frames are a roughly similar size. My Argonaut is 860g ish including the ISP. The ISP topper is about 100g, so it's pretty light!

The Festka looks awesome though!

VTBike

by VTBike

Looks sweet! What fork did you go with? Also curious - what swayed you to go with the ti dropouts?

VTBike

by VTBike

campbellrae wrote:It sounds like our frames are a roughly similar size. My Argonaut is 860g ish including the ISP. The ISP topper is about 100g, so it's pretty light!

The Festka looks awesome though!

Wow, that's a sick weight! That seems on par with the Festka One LT.. but again, I just couldn't drop the extra $2k for a couple hundred grams. The bike is going to build up sub 14 as is. Yeah, i know this is WW and every gram counts.. :D

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

cl9k24la wrote:Image

My FESTKA One....

Awesome!! Are we going to be seeing a build thread for this beauty?

Bely

by Bely

Any reviews on the festka One series bikes or Doppler or any model?
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Werking
in the industry

by Werking

I would like to share my last custom carbon frame that I have buildup:

http://werking.cc - Handcrafted bicycles - Made in Italy