Custom Carbon Framebuilders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Going along a similar line to Bely's Battle of Ti thread, I'd be very interested to hear your views on the various custom carbon frame builders, with a future project in mind. I particularly like the idea of a builder who can tune the layup of the carbon like Legend or Argonaut, rather than just custom geometry. I'm not too worried about price, but if it's less that £4000 that would be ideal. Much more would require some serious relationship diplomacy!

So far I've looked at:

1. Parlee - Z-Zero looks amazing, but probably too expensive in the UK. Their stock geometries are too tall in the head tube for me. Everything I've heard about their customer service has been very very good.

2. Legend - HT 9.5 seems to tick all my boxes, but I'm a little nervous of Italians and their reputation with warranty claims

3. Wyndymilla - Custom geometry, but I don't think they can do custom layup. They will do extra layers around the head tube and BB to stiffen things up though. I have been in touch with them and their communication has been first class.

4. Argonaut - Absolutely gorgeous, but very expensive again.

5. Sarto - Huge range of options, not sure if they can do custom layup. Again with the Italians and warranty worries though.

6. Craddock - Made in the UK really appeals, lovely clean work. Not sure about custom layup, need to check.

If you could give your favourite, or point me to those that I've missed, along with your reasons why that would be awesome. Particularly if you can compare a custom frame to something top of the range, off the shelf like a Colnago C60, Pinarello F8 etc.

Cheers,

Campbell.
Last edited by campbellrae on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Broady

by Broady

I've seen a Craddock in the flesh and it is sublime: http://www.craddockcycles.co.uk/

UK based too.
Last edited by Broady on Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LenJ

by LenJ

You Missed Crumpton. http://www.crumptoncycles.com/

It's the first place I'd go.

Len

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Cheers, I actually forgot to include Craddock on my list! Had a wee chat at Bespoke Bristol this year and his work is first rate.

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

Crumptons is making some pretty amazing stuff right now with custom tube sets and also Berk. I'm currently working on some really special stuff but it won't be ready for sale until after NAHBS. I'm going to have custom lay ups on the frame. Also going to have access to some unique material that's hard to get.
Last edited by kevosinn on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

My pennies worth: the best of the custom carbon guys have a 'magic' touch. The feeling of my Parlee is really exceptional and instantly feelable. I don't believe it actually makes you go faster, but it has an engaged quality.

tommasini

by tommasini

Tommasini VLC-3

First they offer custom geometry options (tube to tube construction) and have in the recent past also offered a lightweight, std, and stiff option.........so some tuning of some sort is taking place.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Crumpton's work looks amazing, but the waiting list really puts me off at the moment. I had to wait about 7 months for my Saffron, and I'm not keen to do that again so soon! I can deal with 3-4 months, but double that is pushing it for me for this project.

Bely

by Bely

I am subscribing to this!

Sent from my Nokia 3310
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

Razor

by Razor

Land Shark of course! I have 2 custom carbon bikes, great quality/ride and customer service is top notch. I can also help with good pricing.

http://www.landsharkbicycles.com

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Sarto and Tommasini are our go to custom carbon framebuilders

Tommasini are good on price!
Sarto, we have more options and templates from where to start - road, aero-road, climbing, cx/gravel, tt

Currently have a Tommasini VLC3 and a Sarto Lampo :D

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would go for Legend or Festka. Legend have built lots of bikes, what's to be nervous about?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

boots2000

by boots2000

Alchemy?
Any feedback on Alchemy?
I really like what I see on their Facebook page-

AJS914

by AJS914

ghisallo2003 wrote:My pennies worth: the best of the custom carbon guys have a 'magic' touch. The feeling of my Parlee is really exceptional and instantly feelable. I don't believe it actually makes you go faster, but it has an engaged quality.

That's the way I feel about my Colnago C59. I didn't feel that way about my Parlee Z4 (albeit not their top of the line custom).

Unless I could ride a baseline example of a $6000 custom frame I was considering I'd be scared that after going through all the effort and paying all that money I'd end up with something that was just ok. I've had a $5,000 frameset that was just ok and had some negative aspects to it and I've had a $3,200 frameset that was very nice but it didn't feel exceptional. I just expected more magic at those price points.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I am with you AJS. I have both a Z4 and Z3: Z3 has magic qualities, Z4 is just a good carbon race bike.

Thinking about the C59, I wonder whether the magic lies in the lugged / wrapped approach which lets the frame tubing do its work without begin overbuilt.

If i was bike-less I don't think I would look too much further than a C59/C60.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com