Shimano Pro Handlebar? Stealth Evo vs Sprint + Vibe Carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Of these two setups which would you choose and why.

1. Stealth Evo Integrated (~420g from what I've seen)

2. Sprint 199g + Vibe Carbon handlebar 236g (431g total from Fairwheel reviews)

As fit goes, either will work and I am not concerned with resale.

I am leaning towards the integrated for some reason but can't decide.

This will be going on a Venge with DA9000 fwiw.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Do you use a Garmin or other brand of computer?

I use a Pioneer computer and finding a mount for an integrated bar would almost be impossible and would have leaning towards option 2. But only for that reason. Other things to consider would be bar angle and width, option for different stem angles and crash replacement costs.

Of course then there is also aesthetics - some of the custom painted Stealth zero bar setups look amazing

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

If you go with the integrated setup, you'll also lose a lot of setup options when it comes to bar tilt. At least with the separate bar and stem you can fiddle endlessly to get the tilt where you want it. With the integrated setup you have one option, and you'd better hope you like it or it will always play on your mind.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I agree, the integrated look very good. But weight suffers strangely(!) and it has to be right angle. Often separates is lighter and easier to adjust.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mimason

by mimason

I have some history with Sprint and Vibe(aluminum not carbon) as I've used both on prior setups. My $.02 is that Pro bars and stems are among the best out there IMHO. I am using ENVE bars and stem now but just ordered a PRO limited vibe carbon bar to replace the ENVE which I found to be a tad flexy(and too wide in the drops) than I want and bar diameter is narrower than Vibe on tops(which I prefer a fatter top). ENVE stem is stellar though...keeping that for now unless I opt for a -10 with my upcoming refitting.

Regarding your choices may I suggest a 3rd option:

3. Get a Vibe carbon stem as well as the Vibe carbon bar. Honestly the Sprint is overkill. The Vibe stem is plently stiff and you will shave a lot of weight as a result. The bar is as light as the/my ENVE(few grams apart) and stiffer. I also have a friend, we call him Crankbreaker, a full power rider with over 1.3k watts sprint. He went from Sprint stem to Vibe set up too and loves it.

Regarding integrated I would not do this as you get a little more adjustability with separates if you want to slightly rotate your bar setup to get the hoods and drops just right.

Good luck...all are good options.
Last edited by mimason on Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sfo423

by sfo423

In have a Vibe 7S round/shallow and its got the OS bar tops which, IMO, is great for larger hands. Super stiff too. The other thing about the Vibe and most Pro bars is that when using Shimano, the transition from bar to hood is about as good of fit as it gets. That is not a coincidence.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I personally run a Shimano Pro T800 UD Carbon compact handlebar and the Carbon Pro Stem. Although Fairwheel testing claims it is one of the most deflective stems they tested. But the T800 handlebar is pretty stiff, yet still provides that slight ride absorption carbon quality compared to aluminum.

I consider myself a sprinter, and I've never noticed deflection of any kind during sprints with this cockpit.

I also ride a Scott Foil 15...so, that frame itself, HT/BB are some of the stiffest in the business still several years after the release of these frames by Scott.

The only complaint I have about Shimano's Carbon compact bar, I wish the actual shape/compact was more like the 3T carbon compact shape/design drop/reach etc...The 3T just felt better, but less still in the drops. My hand/wrist angle with their compact shape by Shimano is a bit less comfortable than the 3T Ergonova compact.

Otherwise, I've been real happy with my 42cm/110 Shimano Pro carbon setup.

Oh, and the weight of the stem Shimano lists, is without the front face plate/bolts FYI. So it is actually like 15-20gms heavier with that stuff. I think I have a picture around somewhere of that on my scale, will post it up of both.

Handlebars claimed 195g, actual 220g.

Good luck.

351g total for both stem/bar combo.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I do run a Garmin, so mounting options are abundant. Currently I run Vibe 7s in Compact drop with a Vibe 7s stem. That combo is excellent. I'm not really into any other options than the ones listed, as I've been looking at that stem for the past 2 years (a la Froome) and need a change. I will keep the compact drop in either direction I go. Ive also seen scale pics of the Stealth Evo down to the 350 gm range. But those could have been old models. As for bar tilt, I didn't think of that at first but now... makes it even harder to decide.

My friend pointed out that the Sprint stem over Stealth Evo, uses ~10mm less spacers to get the same bar height.

Finally ound this...
http://www.sunstar-tw.com/biking/brands ... ges/01.pdf

It's from 2011, and has the angle for the sprint listed at 5deg. I can't find the current one.

Looks like I have some Trig values to calculate

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

get the stealth evo carbon. you will not be disappointed. then use the garmin mount from twohubs.com check it on on my unique bike on the link below.

salesguy

by salesguy

I'll add that I am completely satisfied with my vibe carbon bars and Vibe 7S AL stem. I was originally going to get the carbon stem to match, but less stiff, more expensive and same weight swayed me to the AL. My contact at Shimano suggested AL as well (for bars too). I really like the shape and no complains on quality of anything. Really easy internal cable routing too.

110mm Stem
42cm Compact carbon bars

I agree with others that the stealth could potentially be awesome looking, i'd be nervous it wouldn't be just right, but would love to try it. Maybe on the next build.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

I have the current Sprint stem and its 6°, my only complaint is it comes with a special top cap to make seemless transition so I can't use all my fun custom top caps.

indywagon

by indywagon

Finally, something I can comment on with some authority!

I have an issue with numbness in my left hand from ulnar nerve compression and I have spent literally thousands of dollars on compact, wing-topped handlebars seeking relief, so comfort, not sprinting, is my primary concern these days. I used the Stealth Evo integrated 42/110 setup last year and liked it a lot. This past season, I switched to a Vision Metron (like the FSA K-Wing) with assorted stems because I like to try new stuff and I’m always searching for better and faster. Last week, I switched back to the Stealth Evo as I finish up the season to reconsider my options next year. I have the Cervelo Aero bar waiting on the bench and I’ll likely get a Ritchey Streem II Carbon for my next comparison test.

The Pro bars have a little “angled/scalloped” section just above the lever placement that, like the Vision/FSA bar’s flat section, offers a nice perch for the meat of the palm of your hand. I think that the angled section of the Stealth forces you to take a little more of the weight off the hands. I like the top section of the Stealth more, too, as it is a little wider where my hands fall naturally when I want to climb or just relax for a minute. The angle of the bar is fixed, of course, but it’s perfect, they got that just right, at least for me. I think the curvature of the FSA bars' drops are the best I’ve tried, but the Stealth is not far behind. I have never really noticed bar/stem flex or considered it to be an issue, but the Pro bars are noticeably stiffer than any bar’s I’ve tried, they are just unyielding and I know that helps when I climb; I imagine it would help a sprinter, too.

The actual specs on the Stealth Evo are hard to come by for reasons that are beyond me. By my measurements, the reach of the bar is 77mm and the drop is 130mm; a very comfortable compact design. The weight of my 42/110 was 410 grams without the computer mount, not a lightweight by any means, and I think the addition of the mount brought the weight up to 454, but don’t quote me on that one. It should be noted that the angle of the stem is -10, so that it is almost level to the ground, very little rise. And yes, I had to put an additional spacer under mine to get it where I need it.

Lastly, but not inconsequentially, the Pro Stealth Evo bars are the coolest-looking bars ever produced, bar none, no contest. They just look pure evil and all business, but obviously, since a candy-ass old-timer like me uses them, they are quite user-friendly as well.

Good luck!

aaric

by aaric

Integrated is neat when you get it dialed in, and fitted. However, if you need to change/experiment with position, it gets expensive real fast. They aren't any lighter, but seem stiffer. I ran the integrated Stealth Evo on two bikes for a while, and was happy. Ended up getting rid of them because I didn't like the ergo bend, and needed a 10mm shorter stem on my newer bike.

I'd say go with separate pieces. You can get them stiff enough, and lighter. They definitely have a bling look to them though.

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

Pro website and manyvendor sites state stealth evo has a -8 degree rise
and I read in the reply above it's a -10 degree like a normal pro vibe stem

Can any owners of this bar confirm the rise angle for me?

mimason

by mimason

vibe is 10, think Sprint is 5, Evo 8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com