Aero+ Caliper Brakes VS Non Aero + Disc Brake Road Bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which Do you Prefer? Same Weights/Shifting/Geo

Aero Frame + Caliper Brakes
74%
Non-Aero Frame + Disc Brakes
26%

Total votes: 43

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

OK- so my friend says Aero in road bikes is dead and not important. Road bikes with disc brakes are replacing them.

Assuming both bikes have Shimano mechanical shifting and the same geo, he thinks an Aero Aluminum road bike with caliper brakes is dumb compared to a non-aero Aluminum road bike with hydraulic disc brakes. Oh yes - same weight too.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by Jmdesignz2 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mimason

by mimason

What about aero and disc or non aero and calipers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

mimason wrote:What about aero and disc or non aero and calipers?

His argument is Disc brake road + Non Aero trumps Aero road + caliper. I disagree.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, aero and disc is an oxymoron and the manufacturers are going to have a heck of a time spinning that one. But they will try.
And Disc brakes on nice high end road bikes are not something I'm itching to get anytime soon.
That leaves @mimason's suggestion.... the regular nice road bike with caliper rim brakes, for the win!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

found this:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-and-gear ... aero-speed

the difference is 8 sec over 26 miles and only at 10 degree yaw angle from the non-drive side. "Head on- there was no quantifiable difference"
From the driveside, the spinning wheels shielded the disc brakes

I think disc brakes can be designed to be more aero - especially on road bikes. I think We could see the caliper/piston as a module inserted into the fork blade / frame. Also smaller and airier rotors for road bikes? But that's off topic :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Jmdesignz2 wrote:found this:

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-and-gear ... aero-speed

the difference is 8 sec over 26 miles and only at 10 degree yaw angle from the non-drive side. "Head on- there was no quantifiable difference"
From the driveside, the spinning wheels shielded the disc brakes...)

[emoji1] Like I said, they will try.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

drchull

by drchull

The industry will always try to sell you the next great thing even though it may not even be good. I am not convinced about disc brakes on racing bikes. I see a place on road bikes, touring bikes and gravel/cyclocross bikes but for racing bikes it is just a nightmare after they finally got cassettes essentially normalized.

Aero trumps weight and both trump braking. Racers were willing to ride (or even pay a premium for) Delta brakes because they looked cool and were stamped with a lovely Campy signature but damn things barely slowed you much less stopped you.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

That Specialized test was bad/lazy. Why would they assume the drag would be symetrical and only test one side? Why would they run mechanical vs. Di2, which really cleaned up the front end cabling.

Probably a better test: http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/12/ ... kes_355621

A road and a tri frame both capable of running either disc or rim: http://road.cc/content/feature/83327-di ... -more-aero
Note: this is with "aero" behind the fork TRP brakes, so the delta between disc vs standard caliper may not be huge, but between discs vs. aero calipers is likely larger.

Your friend's qualifier of "same weight" doesn't make sense considering there's ~500-600g penalty between rim and disc brakes.

Me? I'd choose rim brakes, and if I wanted better braking, I'd run wheels with aluminum brake tracks (which I do), for no aero penalty and only a minor weight penalty compared to carbon clinchers.

Marin

by Marin

Non-Aero frame with caliper brakes trumps all.

Make it light, not overly stiff, and let it have decent tire clearance.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I'd rather have brakes that work properly in all conditions. May not be the same priority for others, but I'm not fast enough or powerful enough for 'aero' to really make a difference.

Discs for me, whatever the frame is.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kgt wrote:+1

+2...to bad my Parlee does not have good tire clearance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie