Michelin Pro Race tires on Bora Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LenJ

by LenJ

Anyone using Michelin Pro Race on new wider Bora clinchers?

Do the 25's on Bora's work with Campy brakes? I know the Pro Race run a little larger.

Thanks in advance.

Len

fogman

by fogman

I use Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather 700 x 25c on my Bora One 35 clinchers.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

havana

by havana

Ik run Schwalbe One 25 mm w/o any problems.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

mimason

by mimason

I'm looking for some tire options with the new Boras too. I have been running 23s of either Pro4s or Conti 4ks on the narrower rims. Will likely switch to 25s with the new wider hoop so I'mm gravitating toward narrower 25s as opposed to wider 25s. What are your outside tire dimensions? thx

Delorre

by Delorre

mimason wrote:I'm looking for some tire options with the new Boras too. I have been running 23s of either Pro4s or Conti 4ks on the narrower rims. Will likely switch to 25s with the new wider hoop so I'mm gravitating toward narrower 25s as opposed to wider 25s. What are your outside tire dimensions? thx

On 24'ich wide rims, just use your regular 23 wide conti 4000s tires :wink: . Those are already 24 wide on a narrow 21mm rim. Thus perfect for use on wider rims. As long as you dn't go wild and use 27mm wide HED rims or similar... And even then, would work IMO.

LenJ

by LenJ

Delorre wrote:
mimason wrote:I'm looking for some tire options with the new Boras too. I have been running 23s of either Pro4s or Conti 4ks on the narrower rims. Will likely switch to 25s with the new wider hoop so I'mm gravitating toward narrower 25s as opposed to wider 25s. What are your outside tire dimensions? thx

On 24'ich wide rims, just use your regular 23 wide conti 4000s tires :wink: . Those are already 24 wide on a narrow 21mm rim. Thus perfect for use on wider rims. As long as you dn't go wild and use 27mm wide HED rims or similar... And even then, would work IMO.

Thanks, but life is too short to use Conti's. ;-)

Never had a pair last more than a few hundred miles before sidewall failure. YMMV

Len

fogman

by fogman

The Vredestein Fortezza Senso are the narrowest of the 25c tires I have tried on my Bora One clinchers.

Here are some measurements (using calipers) of various tires I have tried on them.

Conti GP4000S II (23mm) = 25.4mm
Conti GP4000S II (25mm) = 26.7mm
Vredestein Senso (25mm) = 25.4mm
Schwalbe One (25mm) = 26.2mm
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Delorre

by Delorre

LenJ wrote:

Never had a pair last more than a few hundred miles before sidewall failure. YMMV

Len

:shock: What do you did to those tyres? MTB'ing or so? On gp4000s, that I've been using for the last 10 years or so, I puncture ones a year (8000 miles), and even on our horrible Belgian roads, there are almost no cuts at all, even when completely worn. Sidewalls still looking new! Give them a try man!

LenJ

by LenJ

Delorre wrote:
LenJ wrote:

Len

:shock: What do you did to those tyres? MTB'ing or so? On gp4000s, that I've been using for the last 10 years or so, I puncture ones a year (8000 miles), and even on our horrible Belgian roads, there are almost no cuts at all, even when completely worn. Sidewalls still looking new! Give them a try man!

I've tried them 3 times,all on my road bike, after other riders convince me they have solved the problem.

once in 2002..... sidewall cut in under 1,000 miles riding on relatively clean roads. Other tires, no flats.
once again in 2007....... sidewall cut in 600 miles.
once again with the 4000 II's early 2014. Sidewall cut in 800 miles.

I have never had a sidewall cut in any other tire and been cycling since 1972. Once is an anecdote, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend. Obviously YMMV. I've consistently gone thousands of miles between flats on other tires, (Mostly Michelin Pro's)..... Life is too short to throw good money after bad again.

Len

Wingnut

by Wingnut

You are doing something wrong with your tyres Len...

Conti's are the go to tyre for durability...maybe not the best feel of Veloflex etc...

LenJ

by LenJ

Wingnut wrote:You are doing something wrong with your tyres Len...

Conti's are the go to tyre for durability...maybe not the best feel of Veloflex etc...

I would agree with you if it happened with any other tire.... it doesn't

len

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Hmm...seems odd

LenJ

by LenJ

Wingnut wrote:Hmm...seems odd

Not if the tires suck. ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

LenJ wrote:
Wingnut wrote:Hmm...seems odd

Not if the tires suck. ;-)

Odd because most don't seem to have the same issue over and over... ;)