Battle of TI

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Poulidor

by Poulidor

kgt wrote:Image

Now we are talking...!!!! Awesome...!!!!

spookyload

by spookyload

My favorite part of ti bikes are the snobbery that comes out when people starting talking about the best builders. How can you possibly say one person knows ti better than another? They are all freaking welders. Period. And don't throw the expertise of CAD into the mix. If it was 1990, sure, but my teenage daughter can design whatever you need in CAD. She learned that as a freshman. If you want people who have the most experience with ti, I suggest you look to the Chinese company that started in the defense industry. They have been welding ti before most of the companies mentioned were even building bikes. I assure you the standards in ti production for aviation far exceed what they do for bikes, yet the company is looked down upon because it is from China. Does that make theirs better? Nope. I know local welders who see Moots, Lynskey and Tomassini welds and laugh at the quality. Not that they are bad welds, but they are welds made by frame builders. Industrial and aviation welders have standards that bike builders will never touch. If a weld looks like shit on a Moots, do you think they toss it in the discard bin? Nope, they clean it up and polish it out and press on. In aviation, you don't have that option.

So please, tell me what is so magical about a Moots? They buy tubing, cut it and weld it. Honestly their finish is among the cheaper finishes available for ti, yet people accept it because it is magical and says Moots. Their hardtail mtb design was state of the art when Yeti was making Schwinn Homegrowns, but that was 25 years ago. They are so down to earth that they just sold the company, much like Serotta did. Guess what happened to Serotta.

I know some people do cool custom dropouts and such, but again, any water cutter can do that just fine. Ti is a great material to build frames with. That is beyond question. But there simply isn't any voodoo magic that makes one builder better than another. Ti is a hard material and the build process is very violent compared to steel or aluminum. There is very little beauty in what comes out, except in the eyes of the beholder. Didn't mean to rant, but I honestly don't get the label love associated with ti frames. I have two. One bought for price, the other because I thought the Helix tubes looked cool. They both ride great, but I am not sure spending an extra $2000 for the frame would have been noticed had I gotten one of the boutique builders frames. But to each his own. If you want a certain label because of its name, go for it. That is important to some people. It has kept the jean industry in business for decades.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Hmm...You basically rubbish most Ti manufacturers and anyone who just likes likes a brand in particular then you you say buy whatever you want because you have two yourself...? If we are to consider everything you mention then that pretty much applies to most bike builders be it Ti, carbon or aluminum...

Ti snobbery? Have you just provided and an example of it to us all...?

rpenmanparker

by rpenmanparker

spookyload wrote:And don't throw the expertise of CAD into the mix. If it was 1990, sure, but my teenage daughter can design whatever you need in CAD. She learned that as a freshman.

Being able to produce a CAD design is one thing. Being able to produce a superior CAD design, a bike that will be a joy to ride in every respect, well that is quite different. So your daughter can go through the manipulations on the computer, but what does she know about bicycle design, material properties, finite element analysis with regard to titanium and bicycles.

I had a beautiful Everti Falcon frame that I loved to look at. It rode like crap. Hard as nails and stupidly unstable. I sold it and bought a Merlin Works CR (built when it was still Merlin) that is even prettier and a dream to ride. The two frames, nearly the same geometry, both have complex tubing: butted, ovalized, shaped, bent, the works. What is the difference. Not something that every designer would know about...apparently.

Who designed and built the bike does make a difference.
Robert

Poulidor

by Poulidor

If you have 30 different shapes of one type of titanium tubes (there are more than 20 different alloys of titanium) to make a frame made of 8 tubes, and on top of that you can butt and shape those tube in different ways, not any great welder will come up with a great bicycle frame. And comparing aeronautical grade welding to the ever so orderly beads of weld on a Moots makes little sense to me. As a matter of fact, and I'll abstain from slinging mud to any brand in particular, there have been many examples of well known awful titanium frames, especially during the early days of titanium frames. So it's not like any good welder can come up with even a decent bicycle frame just because he can weld titanium. Like everything handcrafted, talent, dedication, attitude and smarts come into play when building a titanium frame and that shows in the end product. Of course it does.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I have a Litespeed Vortex (check out the gallery below if you want). I´ve always wanted to have a custom Moots, get measured order it and pick it up personally in Steamboat Springs... but in just pure aesthetics a Passoni is a stunning bike. I tried the old De Rosa when old man de Rosa made them, and it was a noodle.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

PARTIZAN

by PARTIZAN

WE can stop Talking , Its Baum ;).
I Love Baums Cause of theire ps But the kill the advantage of Titanium with theire ps.
Bely, you got two besufuful painted Steel Frames , i would choose a pure Titanium Frame without Paint .

I choose kualis , non painted , Cause Ive allready own painted Steel & Carbon .

Next Week Yoshi gonna Start

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

mythical

by mythical

My top Ti builders are Darren Crisp and Darren Baum. I both know them personally and I did some vital work for the latter. Both are ace when it comes to their craft. I also like what Firefly does and those I have great respect for are Kish and Kent Eriksen.

Today, I came across the new Litespeed T1SL. It looks like they're doing a good effort to try and get back to their once core business, which is building high-end titanium frames. I applaud their efforts. Too bad it's built with an Easton build kit, as I can think of better specs that'll improve the bike and make it stand out even more.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

PARTIZAN

by PARTIZAN

mythical wrote:My top Ti builders are Darren Crisp and Darren Baum. I both know them personally and I did some vital work for the latter. Both are ace when it comes to their craft. I also like what Firefly does and those I have great respect for are Kish and Kent Eriksen.

Today, I came across the new Litespeed T1SL. It looks like they're doing a good effort to try and get back to their once core business, which is building high-end titanium frames. I applaud their efforts. Too bad it's built with an Easton build kit, as I can think of better specs that'll improve the bike and make it stand out even more.

LS is Nice
But Its Not Custom ...

LenJ

by LenJ

LionelB wrote:Check out Spectrum too

/\ This

What beats a perfect fit and bike design and then a paint job by Tom Kellogg?

glepore

by glepore

Except Tom isn't the painter...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

PARTIZAN

by PARTIZAN

LenJ wrote:
LionelB wrote:Check out Spectrum too

/\ This

What beats a perfect fit and bike design and then a paint job by Tom Kellogg?
Imagetimeless, No Paint ;)

LenJ

by LenJ

glepore wrote:Except Tom isn't the painter...

I'm pretty sure he is... in fact, he does 100% Of the painting.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2 ... 16052.html

len

LionelB

by LionelB

Don't let the Spectrum 1990's look web site push you away ;)

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

That Spectrum!!!!!!

I have a Spectrum CX frame I picked up on eBay that I've had sitting around. It is incredible! Deciding which gruppo to buy for it. Pardon the terrible pics, will have some better ones when built up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com