Crank sizes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewski33

by Lewski33

So I have pre-ordered the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX for 2016. Ive ordered Chris King Press Fit 24 bottom bracket for the frame and was curious as to what crank you would recommend regarding size and quality. Ive looked at AX Lightness Pelton compact Crankset among others but now I am not 100% sure it will fit. I dont want to put adapters on the bottom bracket to make it fit etc. Its going to be a custom build. It will be using Campagnolo Super Record mechanical groupset but im after a crank set which is a bit different, don't really want FSA, SRAM etc. Something a bit 'bespoke'. I'm also looking at Carbon Ti chainrings if that makes any difference?!
Thanks for any help and recommendations in advance.

Qman

by Qman

I believe that frame uses a PF30 bottom bracket - someone else will hopefully know for sure.
The AX crank will definitely fit the frame.
When you purchase it you get the model that matches your frame's bottom bracket. It will come with all required washers, etc.
I don't think the Chris King PF24 BB will work with that crank. The AX has a 30mm diameter spindle, and the Chris King is made for 24mm spindles.
If you want to avoid extra washers and adapters, then there are a few cranks that will only fit BB30 and PF30: Cannondale SiSl, Specialized S-Works, SRAM Red BB30. These cranks will generally have a shorter spindle and the crank arms fit closer to the frame. Some of them give you more heel clearance because the spindle is shorter.
Most other cranks are built to adapt to many different bottom brackets. The cranks will either have a 30mm spindle, or a 24mm. Since your frame has room for a 30mm, then I'd find a crank with the bigger spindle. They will be stiffer and are often lighter.
Another aluminum crank to consider is the Extralite. Looks nice, not commonly seen, has a 30mm spindle.
Check out Fairwheel Bike's crank review to get some ideas.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewski33

by Lewski33

So I checked with Canyon and it's a press fit '86' but chris king call is a Press Fit 24 for some reason so there's one part of my confusion.

Maybe I should wait for the frame to arrive and the bottom bracket arrives this week so maybe weigh up my options then? I really want that AX Lightness crank AND the Chris King bottom bracket :/

Lewski33

by Lewski33

uploadfromtaptalk1444325349204.png

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

rmerka

by rmerka

I believe the OD of a 6806 bearing is 42mm so you cannot physically fit that bearing in a shell that has an ID of 41mm. In order to fit a 30mm spindle in the frame you are probably going to have to use something along the line of the Wheels Mfg solution if you want to use a crank with that size of spindle. There may be other solutions out there but the Chris King one probably won't work for you with that Peloton crank. FWIW, Wheels makes excellent stuff.

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb86-92/bb86-92-bottom-brackets/bb86-to-30mm-sealed-bearing.html

Qman

by Qman

Ok, if it is a PF86 then the Chris King will definitely work with your frame. Your frame needs a longer spindle and is intended for a 24mm dia spindle. I'm not as familiar with this system so my help is limited. I know that you can get a Rotor to work. You could use either a UBB24 or a UBB30 Rotor with the appropriate bottom bracket. I don't think you can directly make the AX crank work because it has a 30mm spindle, and I don't see a BB86 option for it. I don't think the Extralite will work for it either.
I'm sure there are lots of others who know more about what's available for your bike.

rmerka

by rmerka

Lewski33 wrote:I really want that AX Lightness crank AND the Chris King bottom bracket :/

To be perfectly clear ----> Chris King Bottom Bracket + Crank with 30mm spindle + Canyon Frame = NO

You have to change one of those to get it to work.

Lewski33

by Lewski33

Cheers gents!
Didn't realise how difficult it can be (to me anyways). I've got the frame and the Chris King bottom bracket so I think maybe take it to the LBS and just ask them what I can get.
I could just buy any crank that fits but that definitely defeats the purpose of building your own bike and having it exactly as I want.

Cheers again!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Qman

by Qman

Some non-mainstream cranks that will work on your frame:

THM Clavicula and M3
Lightning
BOR 688R
Praxis

All of these have 30mm spindles so, as stated above, your Chris King won't work with these.

Just purchase the correct BB with the crank and you're good to go!

Lewski33

by Lewski33

So....looks like I am sending back the Chris King bling! Ive looked at those non-mainstream cranks you have mentioned, THM are unfortunately out of my price range but I did like the look of the Lightning crank (Even though the logo is a bit tacky). I guess its best I wait for the frame to arrive...I just wanted to start buying the components while I have the money and the missus doesn't spend it!

rmerka

by rmerka

Hey, nobody's gonna see your BB anyway. If you want a nice blingy crank like the Peloton just consider using the Wheels Mfg. or similar BB and get the crank you want. The Frame and Crank are far more important in my book than what brand of BB you choose, after all it's just bearings. They'll eventually crap out and you'll have to replace them anyway assuming the bike is fantastic and you ride it enough :thumbup:

Lewski33

by Lewski33

Yeah I know what youre saying 'rmerka'. Heard great reports on the Chris King BB's, that's why I bought them. They are a bit bling, which helps for looks etc but I also read they are almost bomb proof and not prone to squeaking like a lot of press fit BB's. Just going to check out that Wheels Mfg and see what they can offer too.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

there's also the specialized and cannondale cranks that are top notch and not mainstream

Qman

by Qman

Those are both great cranks. I have the Specialized on my bike. Unfortunately neither will work on the BB86 frame. They are designed for 68mm wide bottom bracket shells. The BB86 is 86.5mm wide, so the crank spindles aren't long enough.
There is a new BB30A version of the Cannondale, but it is only 5mm wider on one side, so it still won't work.

FreaK

by FreaK

rmerka wrote:Hey, nobody's gonna see your BB anyway. If you want a nice blingy crank like the Peloton just consider using the Wheels Mfg. or similar BB and get the crank you want. The Frame and Crank are far more important in my book than what brand of BB you choose, after all it's just bearings. They'll eventually crap out and you'll have to replace them anyway assuming the bike is fantastic and you ride it enough :thumbup:

I'll second the Wheelsmfg bb suggestion. They've all been top notch in my experience. I definitely appreciate the Greaseguard
style design of the CK, but unless you're doing cross or intending to keep the bike well into a decade, you may never see the benefit. The angular contact Whls Mfg units are probably the best bang for the buck going in the north american market.
I've heard really good things about the Praxis bbs though but haven't had any fitment or riding experience of them.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com