Crank sizes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rex

by Rex

I've got a Argon18 frame I'm building up with BB86 and just went with the Shimano DA BB as it's cheap as chips and no-ones going to see it behind the crank anyway.

Lewski33

by Lewski33

OK cool, thanks guys. I know Campagnolo definitely fits as Moviestar uses it already. Strange how most cranks are 30mm spindles these days but a new frameset for next year has opted for a 24mm bottom bracket.
I know some have you mentioned that not to worry as people won't see the bottom bracket....the problem is that I will always know. It's maybe an OCD thing ;)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewski33

by Lewski33

rmerka wrote:Hey, nobody's gonna see your BB anyway. If you want a nice blingy crank like the Peloton just consider using the Wheels Mfg. or similar BB and get the crank you want. The Frame and Crank are far more important in my book than what brand of BB you choose, after all it's just bearings. They'll eventually crap out and you'll have to replace them anyway assuming the bike is fantastic and you ride it enough [emoji106]

But using Wheels Mfg won't make the bottom bracket shell bigger that 24mm will it? 24mm seems to be the maximum allowance for a spindle with this frameset :/

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Qman

by Qman

The BB shell itself is much bigger than 24mm and will easily accommodate a 30mm spindle. The issue is fitting the 30mm spindle while still having room for the bearings. The manufacturers need to use bearings with smaller balls so they fit within the shell while still accommodating the 30mm spindle. See the Wheels Manufacturing site under BB86. They sell BB's for 24mm spindles, then they sell separate bearings that work with the 30mm spindle that fit in their BB's.

You won't externally notice any difference if you have a 30mm spindle installed. This is particularly true if you go with the crank manufacturer's BB because it will have all of the correct spacers that match their cranks.

rmerka

by rmerka

Having to use smaller balls is probably why that Wheels Mfg BB uses a double row bearing.