Just got a Extalite Hyperstem 110mm 80 grams!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FreaK

by FreaK

joshclick wrote:Very cool! Do drop a review (particularly stiffness) when you get a chance please :) I'm looking for a lighter (but close in stiffness) alternative to my ENVE stem and the Hyperstem looks like it comes close (https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-an ... em-review/)

Well it certainly is prettier!
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

joshclick

by joshclick

I actually really dig the look of the ENVE stem. Only problem is that it's as thick as the tubes on my Addict and I have the matching seatpost which i'll have to replace to match my new stem.

Would you guys recommend mcfk post + stem or extralite post + stem ? Mcfk has a 17deg stem vs extralite's 12deg which are both so much better than the ENVE's 6deg practically pointing straight up nonsense.

Or is there something even better in stem/post-land i haven't heard about yet?

~sorry for the hijack~

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wert.

Is Wert producing stems, or is he/they in pre-launch mode?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

deek

by deek

Synnove wrote:
deek wrote: I'm guessing that the Extralite stem would not pass CEN testing.

If you look at Extralite's page for the Hyperstem, they do claim it exceeds EN safety standard requirements.

Oops, you're right! I don't know why no other manufacturer comes close then.

joshclick

by joshclick

prendrefeu wrote:Wert.

Is Wert producing stems, or is he/they in pre-launch mode?

They've been working on production since Jan (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=119363&start=150), but I'm definitely interested in what people have to say after it's out

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I like the look of the Extralite and would quite like to try the 12 degree stem for a bit of a middle ground. I'd probably buy one as my next stem.

I currently have an AX Rigid -17 degree (flacid!) stem - which is was my dream stem. I actually think it's quite an attractive and unique design. It emphasises its lowness - which is good if you can pull it off (I'm fairly flexible). I also like the look of the Enve and Extralite too, but the AX is maybe a bit subtler, especially with the new, slightly low key logos and nice UD carbon. The AX is kinda square edged, but rounded off. I find it plenty stiff enough, but maybe a touch less harsh than the 3T ARX team it replaced. I think it's gotta be a contender for a weenie stem, just the price is a bit prohibitive though... I think the only issue I have is that the "unique" shape makes it hard (ok, impossible) to torque the top 2 bolts on the faceplate. I used a miniscule allen key owing to the tiny ti bolts and tightened by feel....not exactly ideal, but I've never had a problem riding it. From memory it's 81g in a120mm -17.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Nice, but I'm waiting for a Straight Shooter

MikeDee

by MikeDee

I wouldn't use that stem on a carbon steerer tube.

velomane

by velomane

MikeDee wrote:I wouldn't use that stem on a carbon steerer tube.

Which stem are you referring to, and what's the reason?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Don't use this stem on a carbon steerer tube?
Oh do tell! Because, you know... no one has ever used this stem on a carbon steerer tube before, and all of us were really nervous so no one tried it yet, but now that you tell us what we feared most we'd love an explanation.

Sorry, the first part of this post was written in an entirely sarcastic tone.

But, to be serious: have you bothered checking our gallery section? Here you may find plenty of examples in which an Extralite stem is used on a carbon steerer tube without issue.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I've had several Extralite stems, but not tried the new Hyper. In each case my bars tended to rotate in the clamp.
Every other aspect of these stems is unassailable, but the fact that hitting a (bigger) bump in the road, with hands on top,
would cause my bars to rotate down in the stem with a distinct creak sound, caused me to sell.
FWIW, I never did take the time to find other half-circle clamps that were serrated.
I felt that this would have solved that problem. And of course I didn't want to over-tighten the little M4 bolts.

If Extralite were to offer serrated half-moon clamps to better grip the bar, I'd go back in a NY minute.

Having said that, I do like the new Hyperstem because of the higher angle.

choiboi

by choiboi

The 3Nm recommended torque makes me nervous.
David
[b]'10 CANNONDALE CAAD10

MikeDee

by MikeDee

prendrefeu wrote:

Don't use this stem on a carbon steerer tube?
Oh do tell! Because, you know... no one has ever used this stem on a carbon steerer tube before, and all of us were really nervous so no one tried it yet, but now that you tell us what we feared most we'd love an explanation.

Sorry, the first part of this post was written in an entirely sarcastic tone.

But, to be serious: have you bothered checking our gallery section? Here you may find plenty of examples in which an Extralite stem is used on a carbon steerer tube without issue.

Duh, because Trek, for one, states not to use a stem with severe cutouts like this one as it causes localized stresses on the carbon steerer. Ignore their advice at your own peril.

http://www.bike-manual.com/brands/trek/ ... 0701PN.pdf

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Extralite stem is light, but it is a bit soft (flexing). Also look close at the steerer clamp edges and the bar clamp edges.

I have had two fork steerers cracked and one bar was having bite marks. I used 2.7-3.0 Nm and it was fixed well.

I dare not use mine due to this.

So yes, i agree with above speaker!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

joshclick wrote:I actually really dig the look of the ENVE stem. Only problem is that it's as thick as the tubes on my Addict and I have the matching seatpost which i'll have to replace to match my new stem.

Would you guys recommend mcfk post + stem or extralite post + stem ? Mcfk has a 17deg stem vs extralite's 12deg which are both so much better than the ENVE's 6deg practically pointing straight up nonsense.

Or is there something even better in stem/post-land i haven't heard about yet?

~sorry for the hijack~

From my own perspective, as i have had issues with the Hyperstem, i would easily use MCFK which clamps the steerer much better.

There is less stress and risk of clamping edges digging into the steerer tube.

I say this because i have have had two forks damaged with Hyperstem. The Enve you have, is much more friendly to steerer tubes.

Same with Ritchey Superlogic C260.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.