Just got a Extalite Hyperstem 110mm 80 grams!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I am building my retirement bike and since I cant go as fast uphill I just gonna make the bike lighter.
I got this and a Woodman post from FairWheel.
The weight goes back n forth between 81 and 80 grams. And the FairWheel site says it is 84 grams, what a nice surprise.

And here is a plug for my twitter. https://twitter.com/matthewlcooke

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

SWEEEEEET!!!!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joshclick

by joshclick

Very cool! Do drop a review (particularly stiffness) when you get a chance please :) I'm looking for a lighter (but close in stiffness) alternative to my ENVE stem and the Hyperstem looks like it comes close (https://fairwheelbikes.com/c/reviews-an ... em-review/)

RyanH

by RyanH

Josh, how much do you weigh? I'm 70kg and didn't notice a difference between the Extralite and Enve. I'm not really an absolute power sprinter either though.

AJS914

by AJS914

I always wonder at what point is light too light. Why doesn't Deda, Enve, Zipp, 3T, etc. make 80 gram stems?

joshclick

by joshclick

I weigh 52kg with a 15s sprint of around 850W. I still have some ways to go in terms of improving my performance and I'm hoping to get my 15s power up to 1000W eventually next season.

At what wattages do you think you'd start noticing a difference in stiffness between Extralite & ENVE?

Synnove

by Synnove

Funny enough I just sold my 110mm Hyperstem, only because the angle wasn't high enough for me.

It's an amazing to experience to hold one as it really feels like you're holding nothing. I used it for about 6 months and had nothing but positive experiences. The stem is a bit flexy but not in a scary way, and it has a very strong grip on carbon bars @ the recommended torque rating (If only the Thomson stems gripped as well).

deek

by deek

AJS914 wrote:I always wonder at what point is light too light. Why doesn't Deda, Enve, Zipp, 3T, etc. make 80 gram stems?

If you want your parts on an OE bike in Europe (which those companies do) you need to pass CEN testing. If you just sell aftermarket parts like Extralite, I'm unsure of the requirements or if there are any at all. I'm guessing that the Extralite stem would not pass CEN testing. Is that requirement too much? I dunno.

Synnove

by Synnove

deek wrote: I'm guessing that the Extralite stem would not pass CEN testing.

If you look at Extralite's page for the Hyperstem, they do claim it exceeds EN safety standard requirements.

AZR3

by AZR3

Just got mine last week and it also weighed in at 80g

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

AJS914 wrote:I always wonder at what point is light too light. Why doesn't Deda, Enve, Zipp, 3T, etc. make 80 gram stems?

The majority of the market it not interested in weight as we are here at WW.
The cost of manufacturing a stem such as the Extralite is quite expensive: take a single billet of aluminum, CNC mill it, laser engrave, etc:.
Yes CNC milling can be done at scale (see SRAM's cassettes, for example) but the costs per unit are quite high, and it's hard to convince the majority market to justify the price of production when most are happy/fine with the heavier stem. Going back to SRAM's cassette however, that is integrated into their top-tier group so most consumers will have that cassette when they purchase their top-tier bike off the rack... and when it comes to replacing the cassette either pay the high retail value for that level of cassette (CNC milled n'all) or choose to go to a lower tier and save money.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

velomane

by velomane

Your pics make me eager to receive my UltraStem.

corky

by corky

velomane wrote:Your pics make me eager to receive my UltraStem.

You will not be disappointed

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I just got a 120mm Extralite stem. Excited to run this thing. It's so light. I highly doubt I'll be able to flex this thing. I refuse to run enve' ugly glob of weird shape carbon any longer. Haha. I love enve stuff but they need to step up their stem line design. They can make it look nice and maintain its strength and heavy weights. The ax lightness stem design is amazing (round shape).
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

jonloh

by jonloh

The Extralite stem to me is a work of art. The machining is gorgeous! (IMHO, prettier than enve stems)

Btw, my 100mm stem is 78g, so their claimed weights can be trusted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com