Venge Vias Backlash.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

highdraw

by highdraw

Zigmeister wrote:Saw one at the local bike shop the other day. Man, anybody who has to run a spacer under the bars...will look super ridiculous. They had the full 3-4 spacers that are different thickness under the bars of course with no stem cut. I could imagine maybe with 1 of the thinner, it wouldn't look so bad, otherwise, it looks pretty silly.

Also, very hard to get used to those brake fairings/wings on the bike. Really odd looking as well. I know effective. But since 80% of drag is the rider. Doubt this bike won't save you but 5 seconds over any other aero frame over 40k. Of course, that assumes solo into the wind. In the peloton...any old bike sitting in the draft is as effecient as an aero bike.

That said, love my Scott Foil still, and looking forward to the new one, the Vias/Foil and a few others, like Argon 18 aero pro, all are following very similar designs, especially with the rear triangle etc.

Also, $6200 for the frameset along? Hardee har....

On the other hand, really liking my new Specialized Pro Expert saddle.

Zig,
Did you mean Power and not Pro saddle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I'm in no way a pro mechanic (never worked at a shop and only built bikes for myself) and I built mine without much headache and mine is built with Red22 (arguably the harder proposition being that its mechanical).

As long as you follow the instructions you shouldn't have much trouble (you might need a friend to lend a hand for one or two small parts...). I'm very deliberate (slow) with all my builds as I like to take my time to do it right once, so I cant say "it only took xxx amount of hours", but in doing one I know I could build a second much faster.

As Highdraw said none of it is rocket science, it just takes attention to detail and a willingness not to want to skip ahead steps.

highdraw

by highdraw

SLCBrandon wrote:I'm in no way a pro mechanic (never worked at a shop and only built bikes for myself) and I built mine without much headache and mine is built with Red22 (arguably the harder proposition being that its mechanical).

As long as you follow the instructions you shouldn't have much trouble (you might need a friend to lend a hand for one or two small parts...). I'm very deliberate (slow) with all my builds as I like to take my time to do it right once, so I cant say "it only took xxx amount of hours", but in doing one I know I could build a second much faster.

As Highdraw said none of it is rocket science, it just takes attention to detail and a willingness not to want to skip ahead steps.

Congrats on such an exclusive bike.
Can you give us an account of braking performance and the overall feel of the bike in terms of ride comfort and handling and general sense of how fast it is relative to other bikes you have owned?
thanks
PS: any pics?

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Here are a few quick pics after todays ride. It gets ridden (a lot) and prob needs a bath, my apologies.

So this is where I need to give full disclosure that I work for Specialized. When I first signed up for the forum I hadn't started with Specialized yet and I don't come here as an "industry type". I started here and continue to log on daily as a huge fan of cycling and high end bikes. As recently as this week I started a thread asking for input on a mid-2000's era Colnago project I want to start this winter and this time last year I built up a fun Pina Prince SL project. I say this to reiterate that I really am not here as a company man and only as a guy that loves bikes........that happens to work at Specialized. It's important to me to make that distinction to a community I value.

So, with that said.......The brakes: I can say, having or currently owning DA/Di2, Campy SR EPS, RED22 (and a few 10spd groups) that they prob aren't at DA level from a modulation standpoint, but I don't know what is beyond DA (getting some EE's soon, so I'll see then I guess). The power is on par with anything I've owned though and I've beaten the shit out of these (bombing from 55mph to an emergency stop, multiple times). They are as good as RED22 Aerolinks, IMO, in every way and I consider those to be a good, solid brake.

I initially felt some difference in the lever feel with the full housing and the routing, but after no more than a ride or two it doesn't register as "weird" or "different". All that said, I don't have the same wheels as the complete bike comes with as I'm running a couple year old Enve 6.7 clinchers which I think have very average braking compared to other wheels I have had or currently have. They aren't bad, just average, IMO. Hoping to get my hands on some CLX64's (tubbies) soon to see the diff but I have no feedback there. Overall, I have never felt "underbraked" riding all types of terrain.

The ride is honestly the very best thing about the bike, IMO, compared to the previous Venge which I raced exclusively over the last two years. It feels much more like a Tarmac in the rear end especially. I'm terrible at really feeling BB stiffness but I would say it doesn't feel anything but good. I really like the front end though. Noticeably tracks really well and "confidence inspiring".

So, take that with a grain of salt, based off where I told you I worked, I know I would if I were in your shoes and don't know me. I just feel the bike is A LOT better than its getting credit for on forums where most haven't ridden it. It's a bike I ride every day, in all weather (thankfully great lately here in SLC) and has yet to disappoint in any way. I'm very proud of where I work and that I have the opportunity to ride cool bikes.....and be apart of this community. :lol:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

SLCBrandon... I can tell you EE's are not up to DA9000 in modulation... but they are close. But hey it's WW and they look pretty sick, so I am an EE fan.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Yeah, that's a tall order to meet or exceed a pretty well accepted industry standard. I still want em..... :)

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

This is WW's so I should prob add a few weight related notes. Mine is prob one of the lighter builds being that it's Red mechanical and I have the MCFK saddle on it (back and forth between a Tune Komm-Vor) but it's also a size 58 (all my other bikes are a 56 but that is new this year as I used to ride 58's. This allows a low stack and the flat bars).

Previous to today I had an 11-26 PG cassette but today I added an 11-25 XG and weight with (ugly yellow...that will change) chromo SP pedals, cages, Garmin mount, Quarq etc is 16lbs 14oz. I don't think it's unrealistic to drop 300g with tubulars and Ti speedplays.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

SLCBrandon wrote:Here are a few quick pics after todays ride. It gets ridden (a lot) and prob needs a bath, my apologies.

This is a nice build and lets me realize how absolutely hideous the rising drop bar is. Still not a frame that I would call good looking, but you made a good looking bike with it.

The builts that combine rising drop bar and lots of spacers are downright bizarre...

DanW

by DanW

That's a great looking bike. Rivals Lizzie A's for sure

It is hard to read to much in to the all around braking performance if that qualifies as a dirty bike :)

erik$

by erik$

Lieblingsleguan wrote:This is a nice build and lets me realize how absolutely hideous the rising drop bar is.

I second that. With a level top tube this bike would actually look pretty cool. Or maybe just an 8 degree stem on the current setup.

Also thanks to SLCBrandon for some actual hands on feedback :) Not really a bike I consider for myself but it's nice to know about it nonetheless.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Thanks guys.

@DanW haha, you could draw your name in the dust on the down tube and I have that classic "bottle drip" from the front cage down to the BB. I just happen to have a really cool photo filter called "crappy old iPhone" to hide it.

DanW

by DanW

Dust? Dust? We should be so lucky in the UK :D Great bike and thanks for the first hand feedback

highdraw

by highdraw

SLCBrandon,
First let me say how much I appreciate your candor especially since you work at the company. Btw, I am a huge Spesh fan and own two of their bikes, their saddles and shoes. Great company with tremendous R&D.
Thanks for sorting out some facts for us...notably the ride difference between old Venge.

I will ask in earnest your technical opinion on something and would appreciate your honest feedback as a company insider who chooses to ride and race a VIAS say compared to a Tarmac. Members of this forum and the world watched Peter Sagan win the World Championship on a Tarmac versus either old or new Venge. You mention the ride is vastly improved on the VIAS which no doubt is true and no doubt Specialized solved the BB stiffness issue with the new VIAS as well for efficient power transfer. Yes the VIAS maybe fractionally heavier than a Tarmac, but my question is...why would one of the top riders in the world like Peter Sagan still choose the Tarmac over the new VIAS or old style Venge for this most prestigious race?...especially if Specialized would derive much marketing benefit from showcasing the new VIAS and presuming they would like him on their new flagship? I know instinctively the Tarmac, aero benefit removed compared to more slippery VIAS, is arguably the greatest and most successful race bike ever created. It has few peers IMO compared to other bikes for its road manners and acceleration and has won two recent TdF's for example. But the clean sheet redesign of the new VIAS seems to be a cake and eat it too bike...an aero bike no longer a slave to poor ride quality with excellent handling as well. So why would Sagan choose the less slippery bike which over a long race would add up to greater power expenditure if judging by Specialized marketing campaign extolling the benefit of a more slippery Venge?...including a man like yourself choosing a VIAS versus Tarmac as his daily race bike?

Thanks again for candor and sharing your insight here as no doubt my questions have been discussed in some detail within Specialized as to why Sagan would choose a Tarmac.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I think the question should be asked to Sagan. Until he joins WW, lets not answer that.

The last Venge thread was locked because of questions like this, that lead to bad mouthing and what not. Let's not go down this path on this one.

Some members have a good record to lock a thread once they have joined in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

highdraw

by highdraw

SLCBrandon,
Please feel free to PM me with your thoughts privately. I will not post your comments within this thread.
The burden will rest on Butcher to deny your insight from the forum.

Of course if you believe my question is quite fair and would provide insight into the choice of different types of race bikes for specific venues, it is your prerogative to provide this information of course publically is you wish. Relevance to WW is of course the weight difference between VIAS and Tarmac in race trim and perhaps part of the calculus if not the overarching reason.

Much appreciated.