Venge Vias Backlash.....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I don't have a problem answering because, quite honestly, I only know what Chris Yu has previously said.

I can only go off my experience personally and say I raced the Venge the last few seasons and it just felt "right" to me and every time I got on a Tarmac it took awhile getting used to again, even though the geo and fit is identical. Even down to looking at the top tube when I clipped in felt right on my old Venge because Id put so many miles and races on it. It felt like my "partner" and I don't think I would have done a race on another bike for that reason.

Now, I'm an amateur and no Sagan, but that's my experience personally. Sorry to not have more insight on the matter though.

A fun side note about Sagan, I had the opportunity to meet him when he was training a week before worlds and he signed a water bottle for my 7 month old son. He's a really gracious, kind guy and I'm stoked to have that bottle sit on my sons shelf in his nursery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

highdraw

by highdraw

Thanks for your reply. Hard to extrapolate your answer to the great Peter Sagan I suppose and hence the lingering question of why...because Sagan has raced the old Venge of course...so the familiarity argument kind of goes out the window unless Sagan has a clear preference for the Tarmac which he may.

A cool story about Sagan and your son. He is my favorite tour rider. Just a great guy like you say and so good for the sport and what cycling needed.
Congrats on joining Specialized and on your new VIAS and race season ahead.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Much appreciated, thank you!

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

highdraw wrote:Yes the VIAS maybe fractionally heavier than a Tarmac

It is more than just fractionally heavier than a Tarmac. Sagan hid in the peloton all day, than made his move on a steep climb. Going with the lighter bike seems like the right move for me.
For further reasons, you have to ask him yourself.

highdraw

by highdraw

Lieblingsleguan wrote:
highdraw wrote:Yes the VIAS maybe fractionally heavier than a Tarmac

It is more than just fractionally heavier than a Tarmac. Sagan hid in the peloton all day, than made his move on a steep climb. Going with the lighter bike seems like the right move for me.
For further reasons, you have to ask him yourself.

What is the weight difference since you state the weight difference isn't marginal?
As to asking Sagan, you ask him and then report here.
PS: 98% of all that competed hid in the peloton all day. Sagan rode away in his own air in the end and the others didn't.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

SLCBrandon wrote:A fun side note about Sagan, I had the opportunity to meet him when he was training a week before worlds and he signed a water bottle for my 7 month old son. He's a really gracious, kind guy and I'm stoked to have that bottle sit on my sons shelf in his nursery.
Yeah, he's a hell of a role model for kids. In addition to this

<WARNING: did not use image tags, because the following links may not be work-friendly>
there is https://cycleplosion.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/sagan-t-shirt.png?w=426
http://www.zivotzasport.sk/wp-content/gallery/sibal-sagan/sagan-funny.jpg

Perhaps Sagan has subsequently matured, but being a gifted rider doesn't necessarily translate into being a wonderful person.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Don't forget to show this too your kids

https://cycleplosion.wordpress.com/2013/04/ http://i.imgur.com/AUcWrPJ.jpg

Good times indeed.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Hmm, well as the father of the child in question, I can say I've done worse. I've been lucky enough to learn from mistakes along the way and feel I'm capable of raising him better as a result of those lessons learned. Hopefully Mr Sagan has done and will do the same.

I choose to use my own personal experience with him as my guide to the type of person he is though. You're obviously welcome to dislike or hate him based off these incidents mentioned above.

F45

by F45

You do realize that the very presence of podium girls is by definition sexploitative.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

BTW, water bottles aren't the only "things" Sagan has signed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTfEaEwZsPU

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

It would probably be best if we kept this thread to ViAS talk, no?

tinozee

by tinozee

Pff Sagan is just a kid being a goof in those pics. If you try to tell me 95% of young men at age 22-27 are not in that meat head stage I call bull shit. Especially country boys from Slovakia. I had two slovaks and a Czech that age working for me this summer and they loved these goofy American T-shirts with dumb slogans. This is especially true when they are winning everything on the world level and getting their ass kissed. He has matured a lot already.
Last edited by tinozee on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DanW

by DanW

This discussion has already been done so let's keep on topic

Highdraw, the VIAS thread is a really good read and Chris Yu is incredibly open. He is a real credit to Specialized although I guess the marketing men must be having palpitations! :D

The two things that jumped out for me from Chris Yu's excellent and very much appreciated input in the Vias thread were firstly that there were production problems, especially with the rear brake so the pros didn't have a chance to test anything before the TDF and the bike that arrived did indeed have sub optimal braking compared to production. Secondly that the aero gain switching to the new VIAS package (excluding wheels) was the same as going from S-Works BOA's to lace up.

Sagan didn't wear lace up S-Works so in terms of aero shouldn't that be an equally large question? Especially when it is an easier switch to make than a new, untested bike? I guess it goes to show that the pros who are successful enough to be able to make their own choices stick to what they know and trust as it is only a very small variable in their overall race performance. Arguably the mental side is probably most important at that level but I am not Mr. Sagan to say for sure

highdraw

by highdraw

DanW wrote:This discussion has already been done so let's keep on topic

Highdraw, the VIAS thread is a really good read and Chris Yu is incredibly open. He is a real credit to Specialized although I guess the marketing men must be having palpitations! :D

The two things that jumped out for me from Chris Yu's excellent and very much appreciated input in the Vias thread were firstly that there were production problems, especially with the rear brake so the pros didn't have a chance to test anything before the TDF and the bike that arrived did indeed have sub optimal braking compared to production. Secondly that the aero gain switching to the new VIAS package (excluding wheels) was the same as going from S-Works BOA's to lace up.

Sagan didn't wear lace up S-Works so in terms of aero shouldn't that be an equally large question? Especially when it is an easier switch to make than a new, untested bike? I guess it goes to show that the pros who are successful enough to be able to make their own choices stick to what they know and trust as it is only a very small variable in their overall race performance. Arguably the mental side is probably most important at that level but I am not Mr. Sagan to say for sure

Hi Dan,
I wasn't playing devil's advocate with my question...I was asking in earnest. None of us are Peter Sagan and of course I believe a legitmate question and why I asked CL CBrandon.
I suppose the other scenario I didn't ask was with all you said, why then wasn't Sagan on the old Venge in the world championship?...but then the line with the Tarmac is more blurred because the old Venge isn't quite as aero...has a less compliant ride and doesn't climb as well and any aero benefit maybe eliminated by trying to power up the cobbled ascent near the end when his break away was planned.

Totally agree pros like Sagan haven't had enough time with the new Venge...likely a braking issue due mostly to sorting...and absolutely history has proven that champions many times prefer their old horses in important races....dance with who you are comfortable with.

I fully expect that the new VIAS will gain traction and become more common among top riders in the next 6 months or so as top racers get used to the bike and the braking issue gets sorted.

To me, the line is becoming more fuzzy as top bikes continue to evolve. Aero bikes in spite of huge challenges with the creativity of the engineers behind them are riding and accelerating closer to non aero bikes as CL explained. And of course the flip side is...bikes like the Tarmac are incorporating aero cues into their geometry as well which brings them closer together on the slippery scale. Perhaps even one day, there won't be a Tarmac and a Venge...but rather a single top race bike...not unlike the new Madone and next separation will be an endurance bike like a Domane...and then a climbing bike or more all arounder like the Emonda. Perhaps that will be the future as designs are further dissected and the great qualities that make up a Tarmac are integrated into future iterations of the Venge. I believe this is possible for example with features like the pivot seat post of the Madone...which decouples the rear triangle vertically. If designers can come up with a similar lightweight fork suspension then its a done deal...a vertically compliant aero bike. Meanwhile all the aero bikes are being improved and moved closer to standard race bikes in terms of ride characteristics with the advantage of being more slippery...a good thing for racers and amateurs who like to ride fast.
Last edited by highdraw on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

highdraw

by highdraw

SLCBrandon wrote:Hmm, well as the father of the child in question, I can say I've done worse. I've been lucky enough to learn from mistakes along the way and feel I'm capable of raising him better as a result of those lessons learned. Hopefully Mr Sagan has done and will do the same.

I choose to use my own personal experience with him as my guide to the type of person he is though. You're obviously welcome to dislike or hate him based off these incidents mentioned above.

Completely agree. Peter Sagan's goodness shines through and his 20 something exploits when it comes to women I simply laugh at and remember my 20's and everything I did. In fact if Sagan wasn't like that with all his charisma and charm, I would have more questions about him..lol.
Of course when he get's into his 30's he will be a different guy if for no other reason to preserve his public image.
To have Peter's personality, looks and unbelievable talent for riding a bike...one of the greatest bike handlers that have lived...just isn't fair. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com