Stem/bar suggestions and questions about stripping logos

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rel1c

by rel1c

I'm looking to buy a lighter bar/stem setup and I can't find any without much in the logo department. That, and I don't even know where to start looking for a good stem/bar combo. I lurked the forum and found a lot of you suggesting Deda and Ritchey combos at a decent price point. I'm fine with aluminum parts, but I'm partial to having a carbon weave to match my seat post.

I need a 6º angled stem, and would prefer that someone has had experience stripping the logos off with either acetone or another solvent. I'm assuming this is difficult with carbon wrapped pieces as the clear coat or glue of the carbon lay-up can be possibly damaged by solvent. I'm not really looking to repaint something, mainly just use a rag and acetone to wipe off logos. I believe I've read that this is easier with Ritchey parts, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm new to the forum, and I look forward to your guys' inputs. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I recently used 800 grit sandpaper to wet sand my FSA K-Force seatpost to give it a matte look and remove the logos. I then resprayed it with a Satin finish. Unfortunately, I put too many layers of the new finish spray on there, increasing the diameter of the post, and then had to re-sand it to get it to fit in my frame.

And while I know you said you want a carbon stem, I recently weighed my Ritchey C260 stem, 120mm. It came in at 110g on my wife's old Weight Watchers scale. My 100 mm Ritchy Matrix stem, with a carbon weave covering, came in at 115g.

AJS914

by AJS914

Personally, I have a hard time spending $500-600 for a set of high zoot carbon bars and stem that only end up saving and ounce or two (60gms) over a high grade aluminum set.

If you trust ebay/chinese carbon bars/stems, you can get those without any logos.

rel1c

by rel1c

I'm fine with not having a pure carbon stem, and instead a carbon/alloy model like some I've seen that FSA sells. I'm coming from a run of the mill mOst stem and bar combination, so pretty much everything I can buy is better.

BRM

by BRM

@ relic

Your startpost is a much too open question, therefore the answers you get are going in all directions.
A very common mistake on forums like this.

There is a much more intelligent approach for grabs with a much higher succesrate.
Best is to make your startpost complete as possible.
The magic word is “to define”
The better you define, the better the answers will match with what you really want /need.
Defining will eliminate what doesn’t match, narrows the amount of choice, gives you a better inside what to choose. The so called elimination-strategy.

You’re looking for a stem/bar combo

You want lighter. Huh? Lighter than what? I miss a reference point.
Focus on weight only is a bad approach anyway.
You also want a stiff stem I assume. Besides that there is something as stack height, differences in clamping systems as well on the forktube as handlebar side. Any preferences?

What’s your max budget?
Even more important: What kind of handlebar are you looking for exactly?
There are many different shapes.

That’s where you should start.
First thing first.
Figure out what for YOU the perfect handlebar is.

When you finally know that, second step is a matching stem.

:wink: