CAAD10 + internal Di2 + Praxis Conversion BB = impossible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

savechief

by savechief

I'm attempting to setup my CAAD10 with Ultegra Di2 using the Praxis conversion BB for Shimano road. On the CAAD10, there is no way to route the e-tube wires over the BB shell like they show on their website. As a result, I was planning on pressing in the non drive side piece, then routing the wires through the holes so that the e-tube wires run between the pressed-in piece and the crank spindle. The problem is that when pressed in, none of the holes line up with the drive side chainstay, so there is no way to route the rear derailleur e-tube wire. I surely cat be the first person to use this combination of parts, but it's beginning to look like I'm going to have to go with a more conventional press-in adapter.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Yeah, you're correct.

The holes don't line up at all for the RD. I was going to dremel the Praxis shell out just a smidge so I could run a cable down to the RD, but that seems like an intergral part of the set and forget benefits of the Praxis

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

savechief

by savechief

It sounds like you have direct experience with the same combination that I am attempting. What was your ultimate solution?

djwalker

by djwalker

I had the same problem with adding internal DI2 to my GT Grade with a Praxis adapter. I ended up Dremeling the holes in the Praxis adapter so the wires would go through. This puts the wires inside the adapter shell next to the spindle. I made a plastic sleeve that went over the spindle to keep the wires from accidentally contacting the spindle. On my Shimano adapter a piece of 1-1/4" plastic sink tailpiece (from the plumbing dept. at Lowes) fit perfectly- snug but not tight inside the cups. I've used it for 7 months now with no problems at all. The only difficulty is that you have to unthread the wires out of the Praxis shell to change the BB bearings (which hasn't happened yet).

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Why is it such a deal to go with a Wheels Mfg or similar 'thread fit' adapter?

Danza

by Danza

The wheels mfg adapter that is the same style as praxis (with the sleeve) actually tapers down closer to the spindle diameter in the center to allow you to route di2 wires around the sleeve.

It worked for me on my retrofitted SystemSix whereas the Praxis did not.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

I brought a BB30 Quarq and ran Ceramic Speed BB30 bearings, no problem, except due to how I have installed my Di2, all the cables run from the Cable Guide bolt hole, up into the BB shell. They are heat shrunk but they are rubbing on the spindle, so I'm going to have to re position how the cables enter the frame.

Will keep you up to date.

by 11.4

Same problem on a couple frames plus definitely on a 2015 CAAD10. The Praxis has a pretty long list of frames it won't fit when using Di2. And the list is a good bit longer if you want to run wiring at all externally.

While it doesn't solve your problem, I have to say that an ISP frame certainly made it easier to deal with bottom bracket clearance issues -- you can run everything across inside the top tube and the only wire you have to deal with at the bottom bracket is for the rear derailleur. I was never a particular fan of the ISP until I had to run a few Di2 setups.

savechief

by savechief

Please point me in the direction of the Wheels Mfg BB30-to-24mm shimano adapter that has a Praxis-like firm factor (i.e. a sleeve). The only adapter I'm aware of are these, which require the use of the BB30 bearings:

http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... ranks.html

Edit:
Found the Praxis-like BB30 bottom bracket on the Wheels Mfg website and ordered it. Didn't initially see it because I didn't notice that they have a separate link for "BB30 Outboard" bottom brackets. Hopefully this works better than the Praxis conversion BB in terms of Di2 compatibility.

tomee

by tomee

im having the same problem.

Has anyone else solved this?

DartanianX

by DartanianX

Use a Kogal BB

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

GT56

by GT56

rotor has a 42/24 set which is quite slim in the middle

oldmac

by oldmac

How about using ENDURO Torqtite BB? It‘s shell is slim.

tomee

by tomee

did you guys manage to get the Wheels MFG PF30 to work?
http://www.bikebug.com/wheels-mfg-pf30- ... 37914.html

the Rotor ones are hard to get in Australia

oldmac

by oldmac

tomee wrote:did you guys manage to get the Wheels MFG PF30 to work?
http://www.bikebug.com/wheels-mfg-pf30- ... 37914.html

the Rotor ones are hard to get in Australia

The PF30 shell outside diameter is 46mm,but the BB30 shell outside diameter is 42mm,so I don't think Wheels MFG PF30 will works on caad10.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com