Heart rate monitor

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Poulidor

by Poulidor

I've noticed that lately it is very difficult to find a simple, small heart rate monitor with chronograph, speed, distance and basic functions to go on the handlebars. It seems that right now it's all about GPS. Well, I don't need a GPS where I live. As a matter of fact, I recently had a hard time finding a CS100 Polar which I finally found as a demo at a bike shop. It didn't have a box, they had a hard time finding the sensors and the band. But something simple is all I need and want.

Any ideas in this respect, please? I've noticed that Cateye makes similar monitors but they come with a large and awkward sensor for the fork. I've looked plenty in the internet but maybe someone here has knowledge or shares the same interest for uncomplicated computers.

Thank you.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

If you have an Iphone or Android then you already have one, no sensor needed.
I recently lost my Garmin and today tried out the Cyclemeter App and really like it.
I use a Mio wrist band HR monitor, way better than a chest strap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Bryton are selling a new computer, which is gps based, for around $75 you can add HR sensors and Cadence to it for about $20/25 per sensor. Or buy the whole package as one for a price which is off course cheaper.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

kulivontot

by kulivontot

ANT+ without GPS is tough. Very limited market of cyclists who are serious enough for HR but don't want GPS. Even then, the utility is pretty marginal as such computers are likely to only support min/max/avg statistics rather than full data download. As others have stated, probably the cheapest option is to get a Bluetooth LE compatible HR strap like Wahoo Tickr or Mio link and then just mount your phone onto the handlebars. Used Edge 305/500 might fit the bill as well.

Poulidor

by Poulidor

Thank you, gentlemen. There are still plenty of wrist monitors available. Thanks.

Qman

by Qman

Bontrager Node 1.1
Fairly basic. They sell a combined rear wheel/crank sensor separately. Ant+, so a Polar chest strap won't work, but most others will.

junchen

by junchen

How about a used Garmin 500? They support most of the ant+sensors, even power meter. Plus, should you wish to upgrade eventually, they do have some residual value when u sell it away. I too have look at various options however I keep on going back to the Garmin 500 as the most value for money device. You are paying marginally more den a cateye but way more features.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com