Cannondale Supersix - Headset Bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toshi

by toshi

The cartridge bearings in my 2010 Supersix are done, and I've been trying to find replacements without purchasing the entire $90 assembly from Cannondale Experts. The bearings are not proprietary so I'm trying to nail down specs.

Not even Cannondale support can tell me what the bearing dimensions are. :faint:

Here's what I have been able to determine from past postings, and by looking at the cartridge bearings themselves (the etched numbers on them are worn off unfortunately).

top cartridge bearing
1-1/8"
45deg/45deg
6.5mm tall

lower cartridge bearing
1.5"
45deg/45deg
8mm tall

This may be a longshot but hopefully it is helpful to someone in the future, even if no one has a definitive answer. Any insight appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

A guy brought his Cannondale over complaining about his steering. The previous mechanic used a normal height lower bearing, which clearly doesn't work, then to take up the difference he put a big huge washer on TOP of the crown race, between that and the bearing. Crazy. Anyway, I faced the same dilemma as you and despite trying to track down just the stuff I needed I ended up having to purchase the entire headset system from Cannondale Experts. I can't tell you what the exact dimensions were but you're certainly in the ballpark with the numbers above.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

toshi

by toshi

Thanks Calnago! Washer on the crown race, yikes!

toshi

by toshi

Updating this with dimensions:

ID x OD x WIDTH + ANGLE

upper cartridge bearing
30.15mm x 41.8mm x 6.5mm 45°x45°

lower cartridge bearing
40mm x 52mm x 8mm 45°x45°