thinking of Felt AR5

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

this weekend, my LBS will have both the Felt AR5 and the BMC Timemachine in my size for me to try out. comparing both, I really like how the AR5 looked but still need to test ride them to see. i do some sprint triathlons so the flipping of the seatpost is an interest to me.

so in regards to AR5, i've read out of saddle climbs there's rubbing on the rear. some said it's the stock wheelset being too flexy, which can be fixed with a separate wheelset, or replacing the rear brake.

wheelset part no problem.. i have other sets i can try with, but for the rear brake.. i noticed it's a direct mount type. the one on the bike is Shimano 105.. so are there other lightweight types that can fit?

also, i can't seem to find some weight about the AR5 frameset for a size 51.. any ideas? i heard the time machine and even the team machine SLR03 is heavier.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

newforker

by newforker

the other option in terms of rear brake is ee brakes, beautiful and work amazingly well but are quite expensive.

My AR1 weight in at about 1100 for frame w/ hanger, bolts and internal cable guides. Fork was around 380 g uncut..if I remember correctly.

Killer bike though..super stiff and fast.

addictR1

by addictR1

newforker: thanks for the quick feedback. do you have a link to the ee brake? i know bontrager also makes a direct mount brake, but not sure if any good. also, i've heard from the guys at our local LBS that with the AR5, i might have issues running a compact crank up front. not sure what kind of crank your running.

newforker

by newforker

http://eecycleworks.com/product/new-201 ... nly/..that is the link for the rear brake.

I am using a 53/39, if I remember correctly the AR's that I have in stock all have mid-compact..cant see a reason why a compact would not work..I will check tomorrow if you like?

newforker

by newforker

only thing I can think of is fd mount not being low enough..which would be quite bizarre

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Less is more.

addictR1

by addictR1

newforker: yea if you can check it out tomorrow that would be great. i've seen some reviews where the had compact crank on there.. but like to make sure.

shimmeD: thanks.. i'll consider that for front brake.. but need one for the rear first though.

btw.. any difference between the AR3 vs AR5 besides the component used on there? i plan to transfer my Red groupset over so actually all i need is the frameset and will use the original part for my daily commuter to use.

finally, i saw this page and it seems the guy used a regular rear caliper on his trek for the rear brake.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Trek_Mad ... _3416.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/imag ... _brake.jpg

is that possible with my red rear caliper?

tinozee

by tinozee

Is anything changing on the Felts for 2016? I noticed the geo charts are not showing up and some of the models have the new logo. I like the F FRD frame.

spud

by spud

finally, i saw this page and it seems the guy used a regular rear caliper on his trek for the rear brake.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Trek_Mad ... _3416.html
http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/imag ... _brake.jpg

is that possible with my red rear caliper?[/quote]

not a standard caliper on that bike, it's a crappy Bontrager direct mount. In any case, you'll need DM for the rear of the Felt. Also check out the FSA DM brake. Not the lightest, but very compact (cont foul power meters etc) and very nice actuation.

newforker

by newforker

just checked my shop, I have a 2015 AR5 (matte black and red) with a compact shimano 105 crank.

addictR1

by addictR1

newforker: thanks! good to know compact crank will fit. :)
spud: thanks for the info. planning to get a power2max PM.. so probably need to change the rear brake if i get the AR5.

i test ride both AR5 and BMC SLR03 and love them both.. really hard to decide which to get since price is about the same at my LBS.
Last edited by addictR1 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

I'm on a 2014 Felt AR2 frame.

On climbing: No problem whatsoever, it's performed exactly as expected on the benchmark climbs around here (in that, a given power produces the expected results), so there's no loss of efficiency as far as I can measure.

On brakes/rubbing: I'm not sure what replacing the brake is going to do, it's the same design as Ultegra and Dura Ace, and any clearance issues/rubbing is likely going to be the pads, not the caliper itself, plenty of clearance there. For what it's worth, I haven't experienced any rubbing with my Hed Jet+'s running a 25mm tire that measures ~29mm, so wide tire, not super stiff wheels, though only about a 1000W max effort.

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks BeeSeeBee... that's good to know that it's stiff. i do a lot of climbing so wasn't sure if this would be stiff enough for climb. i've read from some reviews that the rear triangle flex when climbing.. but i'm only 68Kg.. so i wonder if i'll feel any flex when doing out of saddle climbs up 8-10% grade?

Nismo4x4

by Nismo4x4

I've got an AR3 EPS and I actually run a Shimano Ultegra direct mount rear brake with no compatibility issues.

rchemsley

by rchemsley

tinozee: No changes to the framesets from 2015 to 2016 except for paint. Most drivetrain and component pairings are the same too for full bike kits.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com