Broken frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Hey, in the summer my frame broke on the back derrailleur. I gonna buy a new bike but I was thinking to take a try and repair the bike by my self. If I don't try it, the bikes is just for hanging in the garage.
On the photo you can see that it's the little part that is broken and it's nog on warranty. When I went to get my bike back with my LBS, the little piece is gone and can't find it any more. Can I try to repair this and how?

Grill

by Grill

Can't see the image...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Can't tell since no image posted but there are some self repair postings on Youtube. Some look pretty easy to do. If its a beater bike you want to achieve then makes sense.

If its the chainstays or down tube I probably would not consider it though personally. Top tube and seats stays sure.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I hope you van see it now
Attachments
IMG_20151006_194737.jpg

Timmy269

by Timmy269

Another picture
Attachments
IMG_20151006_195534.jpg

AJS914

by AJS914

I don't think that level of damage is DIY. How would you approach repairing that yourself?

Grill

by Grill

I know HQ Fibre Products has experience with these sort of breaks, but I wouldn't recommend taking it on yourself unless you're already an expert.

Timmy269

by Timmy269

AJS914 wrote:I don't think that level of damage is DIY. How would you approach repairing that yourself?

I was thinking to take a mold, than using the mold to make that piece that is gone in carbon and than fix that carbon piece to the frame with a couple of layers of carbon.

I took a mold in clay, in the red lines is the piece I need.
Attachments
mal1.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi, we also repair all kind of broken composite products (www.berk-composites.com), the way with the mould for sure isn't the best, althought it might seem a good way to most.

The most important thing is to remove all the damaged area - where the layers separated from each other. It might scare you, but I would recommend you to completely restore the dropout. We are working on similar repairs almost every day. If you decide to repair it by someone who also gives you a warranty for the repair (we do) we could repair it for you and you have a frame like new. Such repair would cost around 300eur, of course with the same shape as original, with the matching paintjob...

If you try to repair it by yourself then please remove all the damaged area and restore it. The best way for a DIY project would be to make a carbon plate that is bonded into the frame (like a new dropout) and then you can cut&shape it...