Cracks to my seatstay. Is it safe to have repaired?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lovemydales

by lovemydales

Hi Everyone,

Rear mech ripped of the hanger on the weekend and cracked my seat stay in two places as a result. Have been quoted to repair but there is something inside me which is thinking "how safe is it" once repaired.

Heading to the mountains in a months time so wondering if I am worrying for nothing. The repairer advises it will be like new but still have those lingering doubts.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

what warranty on the repair?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lovemydales

by lovemydales

1 year on repaired portion of frame only (obviously)

** edited. Just checked again and he said 1 year.

AJS914

by AJS914

Easy repair. You should do it.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

If you have Calfee do it, it will probably be stronger than it was initially (and look like new)

lovemydales

by lovemydales

Thanks Everyone :)

So happy I thought my Evo frame was lost forever. Cant wait to get it fixed.

I'm in Australia so cant get Calfee. But the shop I enquired said it would be as good as new.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I wonder how they repair that? I talked to a builder, they say a frame needs to be repaired from inside and out, not just patches covering from the outside.

It seems almost impossible to repair this from the inside!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

zirxo

by zirxo

My friend helped me repair my frame after it got broken in the same spot. Four years on and it's still as new.

Multebear

by Multebear

Had my evo repaired the exact same place. I've done 2000 km including a race with 3 km cobblestones. Still going strong.

Sent from Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

It can be repaired, but it depends how its done as to how good it will be, some will just clean it up, take the paint/lacquer off then wrap in prepreg and cure. This is what I'd call the bare minimum. You'll (easily) be able to see the repair, even if its painted. It might even affect how the frame rides (but unlikely at that point on a seat stay)

Others will cut back/out the damaged section, grind out a section (exposing as many layer edges/faces as possible), possibly insert and glue some sort of internal support if the hole/damage is big enough, then build up with multiple patches and layers then wrap with a top layer, vac and cure. This would be more of a full on repair, it'll cost more and take longer, but after painting it'll be all but invisible, the effect on ride quality/frame stiffness and so on will be negligible.

What's your repair place planning to do?

(Have a look at some of the pictures of repairs from somewhere like HQ Fibre Products, it'll give you an idea)

lovemydales

by lovemydales

Not sure.. He just said it will be as strong as new and safe. That's all i care about. Plus it will look untouched and invisible.

On another note... Is my handlebar cracked?

acetonehk

by acetonehk

wheelsONfire wrote:I wonder how they repair that? I talked to a builder, they say a frame needs to be repaired from inside and out, not just patches covering from the outside.

It seems almost impossible to repair this from the inside!?

If you can read Chinese or accept the terrible translation by Google, you can read this blog.
http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_82129f210102vxat.html
I think the figures are enough to explain the process.
The author was graduated from Master Material Science. He did a lot of carbon wheel building in past 4 years and now start to repair carbon parts.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm getting much from that blog even with google translate. You cannot repair a chainstay from the inside-out. Whoever said that doesn't know what he's talking about. Plus, adding a carbon patch from the inside or the outside, what does it matter? It's still a patch bonded to the original carbon.

This guys site offers a lot of insight and information for DIYers:

http://theprojectjunkie.com/bicycles-bi ... epair.html

This guy did a seat stay:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairi ... cle-Frame/

The repair is a bit cruder than the project junkie guy though I imagine effective. Looks like he way over built it.

People often talk like carbon is mysterious. The repair techniques are the same as fiberglass. Boat builders have been doing it for decades and decades. Multi-million dollar carbon airplane wings are routinely repaired, not replaced.

drchull

by drchull

Yes, handlebar looks cracked.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

AJS914 wrote:I'm getting much from that blog even with google translate. You cannot repair a chainstay from the inside-out. Whoever said that doesn't know what he's talking about. Plus, adding a carbon patch from the inside or the outside, what does it matter? It's still a patch bonded to the original carbon.

This guys site offers a lot of insight and information for DIYers:

http://theprojectjunkie.com/bicycles-bi ... epair.html

This guy did a seat stay:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repairi ... cle-Frame/

The repair is a bit cruder than the project junkie guy though I imagine effective. Looks like he way over built it.

People often talk like carbon is mysterious. The repair techniques are the same as fiberglass. Boat builders have been doing it for decades and decades. Multi-million dollar carbon airplane wings are routinely repaired, not replaced.

I have looked it up with Wolfgang from 3T, Ax Lightness, THM and Berk composites.

I understand a seatstay is not possible (it would seem anyway).

What i have seen, is that the area of damage is removed and a complete new build up was done.

Both from inside and out. Surface is flush clean both inside and out.

A buddy at work had a crack in the BB, the frame he had was a frame built in Asia, the company who sell this brand, told him it could not be repaired

so the frame was exchanged in his case. It pended on the fact, all their products are made in Asia and none was actually skilled enough to do a correct

job. This was due to safty reasons as they told him that if it was only repaired from outside, the crack could still grow from the inside and out.

I fully admit that personally i am not possessing such skills. I only forward what i have been told from the contacts i have had myself, only trying to learn

what is or could be done if and when cracks appear.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.