Parlee z-zero - please God, not a crack...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

This weekend on the train home after a long ride to the coast, I got to examining my not-quite-year-old Parlee z-zero. I love this bike, it's the best I've ever owned or cycled, and I hope to own it for many, many years to come. So when I noticed a small line on the drive side seat stay, my heart sank.

I've cleaned this bike many times before, and I can't remember if this was there before (annoyingly). I know there is a join at this point, but when you run a finger nail over it, there is an obvious edge, albeit not sharp. This isn't present on the other side.

I popped into my local dealer today and of their three z-zeros on display, none of them have this. I've tried the 2-pence piece test and I can't detect a major difference between the two sides, but it's a £6k frame so I'm worried...

Would anyone recognise this as a crack? Or am I just being overly worried about nothing at all?!

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

tap it with a coin - sound different than other sections of the stay?

Flex the bike by stepping on the pedal drive side - can you see a separation?

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

what does parlee say?

srshaw

by srshaw

I think that looks deliberate, but I would send the pictures to Parlee.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Send pictures to Parlee? I hadn't thought of that! I had assumed I would have to take it to my supplier (which is a hassle due to the distance). Will do the email thing and report back! Thanks guys.

Marin

by Marin

That's just how UD carbon looks.

spud

by spud

send the pic but the bike is fine. You can see a similar line in the other seat stay where plies overlap. That's not a particularly high stress area of the bike.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

It's not so much about how it looks but that there is a notch there too. Could be that the two sections are misaligned I guess. I'll send the pic...

kgt

by kgt

Does not seem like an issue to me but you better check it out with Parlee.

keith

by keith

Just send a photo to Tom Rodi at Parlee. He's been very good to me over the years sorting out issues.

This is a custom frame, surely you had some contact directly with the factory, not just the dealer? I've had a few Z5 Sli's in the past and have always had some contact directly with the Parlee team as well as the dealer here in the UK of course.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MJB

by MJB

Looks too regular in shape to be a crack / split. To me it looks like either a swift impact with a sharp edged object like something has stuck in the wheel and struck the tube which has partially compressed the layup or it's simply a manufactured section / segment in the tube.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

just out of curiosity what type of chain is that you are running?

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Thanks again for the responses, I have sent the email.

The chain is an embarrassingly dirty DA9000. Due for a clean later this week...

PSM

by PSM

bigfatty wrote:just out of curiosity what type of chain is that you are running?

And I am curious about the bartape. Not.

Krull

by Krull

greentimgreen wrote:This weekend on the train home after a long ride to the coast, I got to examining my not-quite-year-old Parlee z-zero. I love this bike, it's the best I've ever owned or cycled, and I hope to own it for many, many years to come. So when I noticed a small line on the drive side seat stay, my heart sank.

i can reproduce your sorrow, i although like my bikes and usually use those for years. but meanwhile, after many years with cabon-components, i learned: such a failure, or what ever it is, is no reason to get excited: it can easily be repaired, company "parlee" shure will look after it, so, no problem at all. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com