11 speed Dura ace Di2 shifters compatible with 11 speed Ulte

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I am currently using DA 9700 Di2 shifters with otherwise Ultegra 6800 Di2 groupset (derailleurs, brakes, crankset). It works perfectly fine. No issues. I went with DA shifters over Ultegra because they have the hidden button on the top of the hoods for controlling the Garmin with a D-Fly. It's current model everything, up to date firmware.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

aaric wrote:thought it was in viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118212&hilit=junction, but I can't seem to find it now...

I found that one too but couldn't find it.

I think I'll just put a build list together with the sm-ew67 and and an external battery and compare it cost wise to a normal a junction setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

The ew67 will save quite a bit. You can get them for sub $50, and it eliminates the need for two $20 wires that go to the shifters from the junction. I think Backcountry was selling them for around $20 at one point. You do have to buy the charger as well for either. The downside is that your charger won't act as a programmer if you have the external version. If you want to be able to update your own firmware, you need a SM-PCE1, which would negate all your savings.

The external battery holder can be had for sub $20 - but you'll have to find a shop to update the firmware (with their SM-PCE1), or buy the more expensive programmer. External batteries seem about half the prices of internal. It seems shimano is going towards the XTR torpedo type mount on the bottle cages that uses the internal battery and includes a junction for external installs...so everyone's discounting the older style stuff.

You might look at the XTR SC-M9050 as a junction as well: you get battery level from it, and it mounts a little differently...I've seen them for sub $90.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

It's true the ew67 has two wires to connect to the shifters but if you connect them does it have an extra connection for connecting the rear junction? In the tririg link a couple of post back they connect 2 rear junctions to the two wires coming out of the ew67 to be able to connect other devices. Hence my question. If it's true you need 2 more rear junctions and still need cables to go to the shifters. If you sum that up it will be equally expensive.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

It is possible to connect three wires to the ew67! This makes it indeed less expansive to use that front junction.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

It would be cool to incorporate this in my install as well http://www.bike24.com/i/p/9/5/51459_00_d.jpg
Although I would rather use this one

http://www.sicklines.com/wp-content/upl ... STD_01.jpg

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I just found this: http://handsonbike.blogspot.nl/2013/04/ ... 2.html?m=1

It shows the s705 will work but I'm more curious if it's able to charge the battery and do firmware upgrades

aaric

by aaric

The alfine display is another junction. However, it has limitations:

SC-S705
• Front derailleur position will not appear on display
• Recovery from Rear derailleur protection function is not available
• Front / Rear derailleur adjustment mode is not available. Use E-tube Project software

I'd say get the XTR (SC-M9050) one instead - its got an extra port to connect two shifters, and will show you the front and rear gear positions, as well as give you adjustment/recovery mode by holding down the button which doesn't exist on the alfine unit.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

I just ordered everything and went with the new 3 port junction just to be future proof. Also went with the interval battery to be able to do firmware updates myself!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

aaric wrote:Regardles, http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf/20 ... art_en.pdf says it will work.

And I bet it would work with an internal battery, you'd just not be able to charge it :shock:

Yes, this is how I run it. I charge my internal battery with one of the many 3 port junction A boxes laying about the shop or on a sample bike.

I used the ew67 so I can fit it inside my stem/steerer.
https://instagram.com/p/ydOu6TpsGs/?taken-by=superdavek

-SD

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Wait, SD, I don't quite get it yet :) So you're still running the EW67 (just without upgrading the firmware, otherwise it would break the compatibility?)? Or the SC-S705 now?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

mrlobber wrote:Wait, SD, I don't quite get it yet :) So you're still running the EW67 (just without upgrading the firmware, otherwise it would break the compatibility?)? Or the SC-S705 now?

Yes, I have EW67 run in my stem/steerer.
-SD