Direct Mount Brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

damond

by damond

Did a bit of research but could not find much information.

Well, since this is weight weenies here it goes:

For us who have direct mount brakes on our bikes what are the light options of brakes we have? Could only find the EEBrakes as a valid and light aftermarket option!

Are there anything else on the market that i not being able to find?

Thanks

David
Last edited by damond on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

Apart from price there are no reasons to look at anything other than EE.......

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

And once you own some EE brakes it puts the price in an acceptable perspective.

aaric

by aaric

Tektro T750R
Shimano
EE.
Bontrager.
Campagnola: Announced at eurobike
FSA: Aero brake

Shimano's are heavy. Especially so since they don't include a quick release or barrel adjuster.
EE. They also tend to interfere with power meter pods on the crank arms (stages, pioneer, etc) due to the way the arm/retention bolt stick out.

Tektro's have mixed reviews. Cheap, don't interfere with the power meter / cranks.

No experience with the bontragers, but they seem to be EE knockoffs. People don't rave about them, so who knows.

EEs are very good. Super lightweight, and have great braking. I'd qualify the rear one I have on my Felt AR as having better braking than the ultegra I initially mounted. Can't quite get all the squeeling out of it under heavy braking, but that's worth the large weight saving and better brake feel in my opinion.
Last edited by aaric on Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

I also have squealing with the rear Bontrager Speed Stop brake on my Emonda. The brakes feel great and the front has never given me issues, but I seem to get squealing with the rear brake on my Ardennes+ wheels.

Have others had this experience?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Check your pad placement. I tend to get that when the pads aren't properly angled on my Zipps.

rmerka

by rmerka

crimsonbadger wrote:I also have squealing with the rear Bontrager Speed Stop brake on my Emonda. The brakes feel great and the front has never given me issues, but I seem to get squealing with the rear brake on my Ardennes+ wheels.

Have others had this experience?

Check your brake track. The wide width of the Ardennes+ wheels you might be getting a oil drop on the brake track from chain lube. I was getting that on my Belgium+ rims and thorough cleaning of the track and the pads along with a angling the pads slightly like FIJIGabe mentioned cured it. While I'm using EE Brakes I think the cause is probably similar. I took an old credit card and used it at back of the pad to nose it in a little. It's slight but can make a difference. At any rate just some ideas to consider. Green Scotchbrite pad + a little degreaser works well for cleaning the tracks. I use some of that orange hand cleaner with the pumice in it for cleaning the pads.

If this turns out to be the case, back off the lube a little, it can get flung around while riding if you use too much.

ph

by ph

With Katusha moving to SRAM in 2016, assuming they stay on Canyon bikes, I wonder if SRAM will release DM brakes?

FreaK

by FreaK

I'm surprised they haven't yet, frankly. Shimano still hasn't made a 30mm crank available, but they were the first on the OEM direct mount brake. SRAM is lagging. Too busy adding more electronic doodads.
The bontragers look pretty decent fwiw. But i'd back EE for sure if i had the money.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

jooo

by jooo

ph wrote:With Katusha moving to SRAM in 2016, assuming they stay on Canyon bikes, I wonder if SRAM will release DM brakes?

Possibly, but I wouldn't count on it. Movistar have used de-badged Shimano brakes on the Aeroad despite being sponsored by Campagnolo.

csteenbe

by csteenbe

Are the Bontrager speed stop only for Trek Bikes, or do they fit also on other bikes ?

prebsy

by prebsy

So are the shimano DM brakes fine with campy/sram cable pull? Are any of the brakes listed optimized for sram/campy? I'm looking at a transonic but will be swapping to sram.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Movistar had been using Dura Ace direct mount brakes with their Campy EPS groupsets so there is a pretty good chance they will work reasonably well together.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

drchull

by drchull

And they made a cover for the EE brakes, I can never get mine clean, even with toothbrush.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

csteenbe wrote:Are the Bontrager speed stop only for Trek Bikes, or do they fit also on other bikes ?

I also ask the same! Nobody?