Need options on climbing bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i'm looking to add another climbing bike to my mix. currently have my 2009 Scott Addict R1 that i love. instead of getting another Addict, would like to hear some suggestions and options on other brands of climbing bike.

looking for stiff @$$ frame and lightweight
aluminum or carbon is ok with me.
budget is to keep it under 2K for frame set.

much appreciate everyone's help. my knowledge in frame selection has always been limited and how i found my Addict was from this forum with fellow WW member's help and guidance. :beerchug:

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

This whole site is dedicated to stiff and light bikes. There are a million threads on this.

You're aware also it's not the bike that climbs, right? The S5 won a Tour stage where the selection was made on a climb. Does the make it (by your definition) a 'climbing bike'?

The Foil ticks all your boxes. Your other thread - asking the same question - is more on the money. And as the saying goes 'ride up grades don't buy upgrades' ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Cervelo R3 or S3 frameset on sale.
Or any other tourbike. Tarmac, Evo, etc.
It all depends on how you build them up and what wheels you use etc.

addictR1

by addictR1

MarkTwain: yea i know it's more about the engine more than anything. any bike will climb as long as the rider is capable. the engine part is still a work in progress. :)

CEVelo: as for wheelset, i will soon be getting a pair of handbuilt kinlin in Nov, which will be build for climbs. where are you seeing the R3 or S3 for sale? i'm in US and haven't seen much discount on those. also, what's the difference between the R vs S?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Fuji's new SL http://fujibikes.com/sl/ will probably fit in your budget for the frameset. Fujis are notoriously undervalued in the market and are considered "gems" by those who know. Best estimates are the frameset coming in around 2k or less.

Canyon is also coming out with an SL ~660g frame (size 56), but the ETA is not yet announced and there is no pricing estimates either.

Just some options. :noidea:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

addictR1

by addictR1

it's funny u recommend Fuji.. cuz last year i got two of my buddies that are SW engineers to buy Fuji. one race type and one endurance type. i was quite impressed by the frame and the stiffness... will drop by performance bike and check it out.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Not sure if the SL is out yet? :)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

addictR1

by addictR1

doh! then it BETTER be Worth the Weight as it claims.. :lol:

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I've reviewed 2 Fuji's, agree with Prend. Underrated machines. Sure their colour scheme's aren't always the best. But when they do nail it they're terrific.

The SL is in the next edition of RIDE Mag, sadly I won't get a hold of it. Editor told me it's sub 5kg, ready to ride :shock:

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

I'd highly recommend Cervelo R3.

Bought one 2 month ago, it does climb better than what I experienced before with other frames.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

addictR1

by addictR1

Tinea Pedis: if i recall correctly Fuji was never known for lightweight bikes... unless there are other ones out there? if not being their first lightweight bike.. i wonder how stable it handles.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

They've certainly done light weight before. Not this light mind, but then that's the point of pushing the limits. Also the scramble in the office to take the latest SL for a spin doesn't sound like it handles poorly. YMMV of course.

I've got a S2, so also agree with the other poster. I've said before and maintain 'show me a climber and I'll show you a climbing bike'.

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

My climbing style is relatively steady power all the way up, so I quite like the Dogma
I did have a go on the latest Tarmac 2016 and found that is was good for hill sprinting, as the acceleration just felt easy when all my power was applied in one hit

One of the latest crazes we're seeing, is people coming in and ordering custom geometry option frames, in tried and test geometries
e.g. a Sarto Seta in the Dogma geometry - it feels like a superlight F8 !! YIPPEE!!

cedced74

by cedced74

I would also say Cervélo R3... Or R5... Or RCa... Oups, I forgot the budget !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

ianSWBB wrote:e.g. a Sarto Seta in the Dogma geometry - it feels like a superlight F8 !! YIPPEE!!

In fairness Pinarello's geometries are quite well done, so not a bad call.

And in my time working for a custom frame builder the above wasn't unusual. And that was in 2011.