Need options on climbing bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Since you are coming off an Addict R1, which I was when looking for another bike. I also looked at several of the choices that have been mentioned. I can not say enough for the Cannondale EVO. Everything the Addict is and not. I now have my Addict set up for a sprint bike and the EVO does everything else.

Tons of reviews, another good one to look at and the fact that a new model is coming 2016 some nice deals out there (tiny changes in the frame not the paint)

Scott
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

scott: i went to Sports Basement yesterday and saw their Cdale Evo 6. no very fond of the paint job.. but looks pretty good. will test ride it next week when the size for me is in stock. Also like the fact that it's lifetime warranty; which is same with FELT, another brand they carried.

eric

by eric

Many of the frames suggested in this thread do not meet your cost restrictions.

One option would be a used Cervelo R3SL. I have seen complete bikes on ebay for around 2500. It's dated in that the BB is threaded, the steerer is not tapered and the cables are external, but it's light, comfortable and handles well. My 56cm 2009 is 840g with hanger.

Another option would be the generic chinese Workswell R066 (see the latter pages of viewtopic.php?f=3&t=113717). It's more modern with BB30, tapered steerer and internal cables, but slightly heavier once you include the fork.

I do not prioritize stiffness for a climbing bike. Frame flex is not wasted energy- the frame is a spring and the energy comes back out of it. I've ridden extremely flexy frames- my race bike in the 80s was a large Vitus 979- and they are not slower. The feel is different however, and some people like the feel of a stiff bike, especially in sprints.

Also my climbing rides/races are often long. I do a lot of 5+ hour training rides and some races have been over 7 hours. There's no sprinting in these but being comfortable is important. If your race has descending in it then aero will be of some importance.

addictR1

by addictR1

thank Eric.. that's a good point. my first road bike i built was a Fetish Cycle frame, it was somewhat stiff but in climbs it felt like noodles. but the ride was comfy minus the road buzz.

i don't race, but more like a weekend warrior who enjoys the ride whenever i get the chance. a friend suggested me to look into a specialized roubaix... which he uses as a training bike on montebello. never rode that before, so probably have to test it out and see. but for sure it'll be way different feel compared to my addict.

stockae92

by stockae92

I like the idea of R3 or R5, but watch out for tire clearance / max tire size. I read quite a few post about they are designed for 23mm tires and 25mm will rub or only have mm of clearance.

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

I like the idea of R3 or R5, but watch out for tire clearance / max tire size. I read quite a few post about they are designed for 23mm tires and 25mm will rub or only have mm of clearance.

I ride an 2014 R5 and run 25 mm Conti GP4000S on Zipp 404 Firecrest with absolutely no clearance problems. It is a bike I ride through the Santa Monica Mountains, and despite a fair amount of out of saddle climbing, I've not had issues with flex/rub, etc., etc.