Question for Scott Foil owners

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

do you have to run Di2? is there a way to run traditional cables shifter types instead? thinking of this frame and using my SRAM Red 10 speed groupset on there.

i've read that this frame is stiffer than my 2009 Addict. so that got my attention.. :)

just wondering if Foil would be a better climbing bike than my current Addict?

synthesis

by synthesis

Foil comes in two versions, DI2 and mechanical. DI2 version is only for DI2 and vice versa. I would go for the "new" Addict. I got the 2013 20 in mechanical, and it´s currently weighs 5.9kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arthurf

by arthurf

As Synthesis says, the old foil is mech/elec specific so you would need a mech frame for Red. The new foil frame will accept either.

I can't comment on the Addict for climbing but my foil climbs really well and I can't believe it gives up much other than around 200g weight.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I have ridden a Foil for a couple of days. It really climbs the same as my Addict. Where the addict in my opinion does a better job is the fast downhill. What goes up must come down.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

PinaRene

by PinaRene

addictR1 wrote: i've read that this frame is stiffer than my 2009 Addict. so that got my attention.. :)
just wondering if Foil would be a better climbing bike than my current Addict?

Hi,

I have both .. a 2008 Addict R1 and a 2012 Foil Team issue. The Addict is mechanical DA7900 and the Foil is Di2 With Stages crank. Both bikes are great. I use the Addict a lot for commuting and bad weather rides, while the Foil is the bike I take with me on holidays to the Alps. The Addict is more a harsh bike / criterium bike, while the Foil is more comfortable on longer rides.... At least I think it is ... but it's at least as stiff as the Addict.

Both bikes descent very good - on climbing though I like the Addict in the AGR ( Amstel Gold Race ) country here in the Netherlands where there are short climbs / high intensity / high HR. In the Alps where the climbs are longer ( + 2hr ) I like it when the bike is more comfortable on 25mm tubulars. Today I did a 77 km ride with the Foil with C50 wheels on 23mm tubulars - still nice but not comfortable on non tarmac roads, or roads where the farmers loose they clay and it's hardened.

addictR1

by addictR1

Sweet thank you guys for the feedback.. Guess I'll have to think hard about what to get next...

nfecyle

by nfecyle

I have 2013 foil mech. I dont think its a climbing bike. I just rebuild my 2011 supersix that the foil replaced due to chainstay crack. The supersix reminds me what i was missing from foil. They both weight about the same, but some bike just feel better than the othets when road goes up. The foil though is beast for flat hammering, decending and handling is better than ss.

addictR1

by addictR1

so besides the Addict.. what other brands besides Scott have some kick@$$ lightweight yet uber stiff climbing bike?

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I absolutely love my addict (08 first gen) i've owned a foil and over 25 different road frames but I still love the feel and fit of the old addicts. This one has become my lightest bike yet at 4.6 kg.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com