Removing Rotor 3Df Crank Logos?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ramchip

by ramchip

I wondered if anybody has removed the decals / logos from 3d Rotor cranks? If so what is the best way to do it?

FreaK

by FreaK

They are anodized and the graphics are laser etched into the anodized surface. If you don't mind silver cranks or sending them out to get re anodized there are a couple options open to you in terms of removing the anodizing. Regardless of method, you're going to want to take the cranks off the bike for this. The most 'garagiste' way is with heavy duty oven cleaner, Easy Off is the most oft recommended brand for this. You want the old fashioned dangerous style rather. Here's a compendium of sorts on removing anodic coatings on aluminium: http://www.finishing.com/2000-2199/2076.shtml
As mentioned, if you want a pretty job it's a good idea to get the lab chemicals.
Less common, but way cool, is anodizing at home, it's not as hard as it sounds, but you don't have the benefit of many experiences to tell you exactly how long to leave it in solution, it's a bit of an art from what i've been told.

Alternatively, since the laser etched surface is already slightly rough it will pick up ink quite well, you can simply go at it with a black felt tip permanent marker.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

srshaw

by srshaw

If you have the ones like mine they are pretty hideous!

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

Great question as I'd like to get a pair. Aesthetically, I've always liked 'em. But yeah those graphics: blech!

When you say laser etched are you saying that the metal is engraved, as in there are super fine grooves in the metal whereupon the logos are industrial-strength silk screened (or whatever technique is applicable)? If logos are just anodized I would be fine with stripping anodization and polishing them, but I don't want to have to deal with sanding through very fine lines. Those would be a bear to get rid of with those curves in the arms.
Last edited by jz4nyc on Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

wouldn't it be much easier to just spray paint them black?

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinko

by martinko

I think their logos are nice, so I don't get why to care about removing them. Rather ditch that "stealth" (and boring) fashion :D

If Rotor cranks were only black, they would look like Hollowgrams from a distance, or like some other made by small brands (OMC Italia? I don't remember). So if I am riding Rotors, I don't mind showing that I ride them. I am not ashamed.

In the end, spend more time riding :-)