Ax lightness leaf/plus?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Trainor6513

by Trainor6513

As the title suggests has anybody got any experiences riding with this saddle? Is the channel big enough? Is leather on plus just for grip or padded to?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Moved in here by me.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I have the Leaf. Originally bought it as full carbon w/o leather, but after one ride understood, that naked carbon saddles are not for me. So I sent it to AX for the leather cover (added 20 grams for infinite improvement in comfort).

Since then, I have some 5000+ km on it. The cutout seems to be pretty equal to the Selle Italia SLR. The saddle itself is slightly wider, but not so that I would notice significant difference vs the SLR. So, in the leather version, it works for me more or less the same as SLR Kit Carbonio flow (2011 model), Specialized S-Works Toupe 143 (2012 model) or even SLR Superflow which I bought recently.

Big bonus: with the leather cover, it is still significantly lighter than any of those I mentioned :D Just a tiny bit over 105g.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

sungod

by sungod

i've got the original leaf, i find it comfy on long rides, the cut out prevents any sense of pressure, and the wide/flat shape keeps me stable, i'd previously had the ax phoenix but i was not stable enough on it

only other saddles i really had a lot of time on are various models of arione which my original bikefit had indicated, but i find the leaf much better

at least with the original leaf, long term comfort probably also depends a lot on the shorts, castelli body paint are fine, the px2 pad is firm in the right places (for me anyway)

greenplay

by greenplay

got one its brill

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Have the full leather version. Definitely top of my very very long list of saddles owned/tried.
Bought it for the weight, surprised at the hours-long comfort and riding performance (i.e. diff sitting positions).
So +1.

Trainor6513

by Trainor6513

Tganks for replies guys. Can anybody compare it to selle smp?

Grill

by Grill

What's the flex like? I love my S-Works Toupe (the light one) as it's super stiff. Bit hesitant to move to something floppy...

KCookie

by KCookie

Trainor6513 wrote:Tganks for replies guys. Can anybody compare it to selle smp?

I used the Smp glider for a few months and I used to get pain in the groin area, I changed to one of Burks saddles and haven't looked back. No pain now and their quite flexible to. When I'm on the trainer I don't even use padded shorts, that's how comfortable I feel. Could be a different case for many others as are buts are all different. Saves a lot of weight to which is a bonus.!!!

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Leather is very thin and it feels like a grip, not padding. Also understood after few rides that naked carbon are not for me...

I have to write some feelings about Berk's saddle becouse I think both saddles shape is very close each other.

I bought Berk's 132mm saddle with 3mm foam and leather for this summer and I am very satisfied with quality and how it feels. My friend is using so far leaf plus but he also think Berk's feels better and that 3mm foam makes it feel very comfortable even on long rides. Berk's saddle flex little bit more from wings.
Weight for Berk was 89g and price was very reasonable from Starbike if you compare for Ax with leather cover (265€ vs 398€).

cedced74

by cedced74

I've had a SMP Forma, not bad but little pain in the ischion'zone after 2 hours riding.
I bought a Leaf (carbon only, no leather, no padding) and it is far better for me. This seat is really comfy (once again, for me...)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Just finished a saddle. Antares 00 cut out, all padding gone, just raw carbon wrapped with Shocktec 3mm gel.
Beats any foam i have used, but weight is a bit more for gel than foam.

You can buy that Shocktec gel and dress a Leaf with and it will damp vibrations and be super comfy.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kode54

by kode54

wheelsONfire wrote:Just finished a saddle. Antares 00 cut out, all padding gone, just raw carbon wrapped with Shocktec 3mm gel.

You can buy that Shocktec gel and dress a Leaf with and it will damp vibrations and be super comfy.

interesting about the Shocktec gel. which one do you use? the air2gel or just gel?
i took my Leaf off because of the vibration from impact on the road. i suppose this helps quite a bit...and i can cut it and adjust the pattern accordingly.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sungod

by sungod

Grill wrote:What's the flex like? I love my S-Works Toupe (the light one) as it's super stiff. Bit hesitant to move to something floppy...

there's a little bit of spring to it, just enough to take the sting out of poor road surface, the rear 'wings' do not flex by much

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

kode54 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:Just finished a saddle. Antares 00 cut out, all padding gone, just raw carbon wrapped with Shocktec 3mm gel.

interesting about the Shocktec gel. which one do you use? the air2gel or just gel?
i took my Leaf off because of the vibration from impact on the road. i suppose this helps quite a bit...and i can cut it and adjust the pattern accordingly.

Hola kode54, yes it is correct. The name is Shocktec gel. You got the 3mm version which is suitable. It is a huge difference. I can recommend it.

You just use a sharp scissor or scalpel and some silicone spray when you cut. There is one adhesive side which is sufficent for proper adhesion.

I cut out like an arc which i applied over the saddle shell. Then you use some silicone spray and go ahead and cut around saddle and the cut out. It's not that difficult.

Next,... - enjoy!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com