Best all round wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

muntos

by muntos

First, is there a rim height that is generally considered best suited for a all-round wheel ? When I say all-round I'm thinking of a wheel that climbs fast (ok, not the wheel climbs but the rider... :) ) but is also aero on flats.
I'm thinking of a maximum 35-40mm height, is this true ?

And what are the best and best-buy tubular (I don't mind tubular, I want as light as possible without robbing the bank) wheels that I could get ?
Sorry, new to road bike building, coming from MTB :)

ollekirchmeier

by ollekirchmeier

I'm in the market for a new set of wheels and been thinking about the same questions. So following this thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

acetonehk

by acetonehk

You can find Shimano Dura-Ace C35, Campagnolo Bora35, Fulcrum Speed racing 35 (they are 35mm profile); Mavic Cosmic Ultimate (40mm)

AJS914

by AJS914

How aero, how light? How reliable? What is breaking the bank? Chinese aero carbon wheels come to mind but they are not going to be as reliable as a $2500 pair of Zipp wheels. You have to use special brake pads and be cautious not to overheat them descending.

I was looking at the November Cycles Nimbus Ti wheels. They seem like a great deal at $555. The hubs are based on the White Industries T11 which alone sell for $400+ per set. A whole wheelset with Pacenti SL23s for $555 seems like a no brainer.

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/alloynimbus/

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Bora ultras or lw Millen steins are my favorites

jrobart

by jrobart

Would love LWs, but that might lead to divorce! Enve 3.4s for me
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

CEVelo

by CEVelo

So many options.
Have a set each of Shimano C24 TL and Enve 3.4 Chris King ceramic clinchers. Love both.
Neither is very light though at around 1,450grams each.

Other brands to look at: Fulcrum Racing Speed 35 (Tubulars), Token C28 Arsenal Carbon Clinchers, Enve 2.2 Tubulars etc.
All much lighter than above (but tubs)

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Been happy with my Zipp 303 Firecrest tubulars

joepac

by joepac

I would consider roval clx 40s... They are very light for clinchers 1375g and at 40mm deep you're getting some aero benefit. Mavics are heavy, overpriced old tech without wide rims. They test poorly in the wind tunnel too. Zipps are heavy and they cannot seem to get their hubs right. Enves seem really nice, but I just can't imagine shelling out that much cash for them.

If money is no object Easton makers some really fancy tubies. Lightweights are light, but not very aero if I remember correctly.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I have Zipp FC 303's and also Corima 47mm MCC S+'s, I like the Zipps but the Corimas' lift the bar further, good prices to be had from our forum sponsor, light 1130gms [tubular] very smooth hubs and breaking is silent and progressive
BB

Coffee & carbon

sawyer

by sawyer

Go tubular

If you are on Shimano or SRAM go for C24 or C35 tubular

If you are on Campagnolo go for 35mm Bora Ones or Ultra if money is no object (just bear in mind that One > Ultra is probably about the worst value cycle componentry upgrade going)

If all out speed on the flat/rollers is what you want then go for 404s or 808s
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

Used LWs would be my choise. You can find many for 1500-1800 euros.

clm2206

by clm2206

Campagnolo Shamal Ultra. Bombproof.

ergott

by ergott

There is no shortage of "all around" wheels from both custom builders and from the big companies.

Just look for the following attributes.

1) at least a semi aero profile
2) availability of parts for service (I hate the concept of disposable wheels).
3) hubs that can be serviced and don't require a lot of maintenance.

I personally think alloy does a better job of being used for the majority of rides. There's just less to go wrong and they are more cost effective to replace should they be damaged. If budget isn't a concern, there are carbon rims out there that offer excellent braking performance.

Things to avoid

1) wheels that you can't find replacement rims for (face it, damage happens).
2) hubs that don't need constant attention to bearings or adjustment.

If I were to offer up the best competition to what I do I would have to name Campagnolo/Fulcrum as one of the best wheels across the line. Shimano is okay, but keep changing things and therefor it's near impossible to get replacement rims. Mavic is love/hate with some swearing by them, but there are enough people out there that are annoyed by the hubs.

I think it's irresponsible to use wheels that require replacing the entire wheel if you damage a rim. With great wheels, you can wear out the rims after 10s of thousands of miles and rebuild them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

Not happy with my DA 9000 C24...

I am heavy and the front is flexy, but the rear is rock solid. It's very strange, there is a possibility that there are issues with front it's so bad, it pulsates while breaking, and my other wheels don't ......

C

When I bought them, I though it would be the other way round .....