Best all round wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mimason

by mimason

^ good deal. $800 is a very good price. Enjoy

muntos

by muntos

mimason wrote:^ good deal. $800 is a very good price. Enjoy

Thank you :) !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaronham

by aaronham

Absolutely tubuler!!
find Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35 and Mavic Cosmic Ultimate (which has 40mm rim height).

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

I've got quite a few miles on Shamal Mille clinchers. Love them

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

fignonsbarber wrote:I've got quite a few miles on Shamal Mille clinchers. Love them

What else have you ridden? How is the surface treatment holding up for you?
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

rngus231

by rngus231

shamal,racing zero

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Fluoro7 wrote:
fignonsbarber wrote:I've got quite a few miles on Shamal Mille clinchers. Love them

I will give a shot at answering this. I have Shamal on 4 bikes. One of which is Mille. 1,500 miles, and surface treatment looks like the day I bought them. NO other wheel set I have ever owned in 30 years of riding rim braked has braked this good. I am in love with the Mille so far.
Just my experience.

-Eddie Bruner

sawyer

by sawyer

davidalone I thought was pretty much on the money with his comments

Zonda for budget all round clincher. Not a huge amount of performance benefit from any wheels above this, other than outright speed on flat / rolling terrain from a 50mm+ rim

They are also better all round than the higher end Campagnolo and Fulcrum alloy clinchers

Racing Quattro Carbon look very good VFM if you want a carbon clincher. I would trust Fulcrum/ Campag with carbon clincher rims

If on tubs I would say Boras are the best all round I've used, though for VFM I rate FFWD with own brand hubs

CCUs are stiff, light and comfortable (IME), but the hubs are not great
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Fluoro7 wrote:

Right now, I've got HED Ardennes, Rail 52's, Boyd 50mm cc's, Hed Jet 6, and a set of 24/28 Hplus Archetypes with the new PMP series hubs (I've cleared out the garage recently). This is my fourth version of eurus/shamals that I've owned, dating back to the original eurus with the thinner cx ray style spokes. I have to say, after about 4000 miles, I love the Shamal Milles. Light good looking, braking surface still looks brand new. Wet weather braking is good, maybe slightly better than regular alloy. They seem very light and nimble, an excellent climbing (and descending) wheel. If I were doing a climbing gran fondo, this would be my wheel. The only 2 negatives for me are: rim is only 21.5mm wide, and the blue campag brake pads (required on braking surface) seem to wear much quicker than normal pads. Overall, highly recommended.

bonafide

by bonafide

All...I really like the Bora's and Shamals but would like to add a PT (wheel based preferred) and I know of no way to do that.....?

trailflow1

by trailflow1

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I put the Dura Ace C24 as best all around wheel set. They're light, climb well, cost under $1000, have great braking courtesy of the bonded metal strip and because they aren't deep handle cross-winds. They are moderately aero as well. I could not be more pleased since purchasing.

Dura Ace C24 rims are made from alloy with a carbon layer bonded to the rim.

They are soft rims and tend to wear down fairly quickly IME.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I have a pair of C24's and like them a lot. They are an excellent all around wheel set. One issue with them that I experienced, is that aluminum brake track has a seam in it that can make a noise under braking. It bugged me a lot, and I noticed a friend with C24's has the same issue. I took them to the shop where I bought them and they smoothed out the seam to make it fully flush, and it's quiet now.

grouk

by grouk

i also have c24 and they are very good wheels, so good that i will buy a c50, but my front wheel has an annoying problem,if i mount the wheel in a way all right, if i mount on the other side the brake vibrates, I think that is the joint but I can not see why :?:

sfo423

by sfo423

Flip around the front. I had the same problem (7900) and mechanic said it was common. Once it was flipped, no pulsing/vibration.

grouk wrote:i also have c24 and they are very good wheels, so good that i will buy a c50, but my front wheel has an annoying problem,if i mount the wheel in a way all right, if i mount on the other side the brake vibrates, I think that is the joint but I can not see why :?:

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Gotta put in a plug for AX-Lightness rims. I've built wheels most of my adult life, and these rims are incredible. Puts classic Edge/Enve rims to shame on the stiffness to weight factor (i say that as the newer Enve designs are admittedly stiffer). And just about the lightest weights ever for each size. Not too many would consider these for everyday wheels, but they really are durable regardless of hub choice (i've used half a dozen hub brands on these rims). Prices do vary alot around the world.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com