Best all round wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

soberhawk

by soberhawk

Hi guys, i'm about to purchase mavic cosmic carbon ultimate, which is total weight as 1100grams.
So, i think the ccu wheel set is the best one.

contaxxx

by contaxxx

soberhawk wrote:Hi guys, i'm about to purchase mavic cosmic carbon ultimate, which is total weight as 1100grams.

based on weight only?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

showdown

by showdown

I'll say this much about the CCU's- I LOVE them for racing- unbelievably stiff and have a very fast spin-up, aero enough for criterium racing and light too. Not to mention they're actually really robust- last summer I hit a massive pothole at the start of a 90 mile race- the rear brake track shattered and blew out as well as the tire bed cracking. The wheel stayed true and round and I finished the race on it- not until I examined it at the end of the race did I realize it was compromised.

As for everyday riding, I don't know. I'm 145lbs and as such I can run 25mm veloflex tires at a low psi (~80-90) and that helps negate any of the unwanted harshness of the wheel. If I had to ride thinner tires at higher pressure I might find them a bit too stiff and uncomfortable for everyday cruising. They really are a purebred race wheel.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

soberhawk wrote:Hi guys, i'm about to purchase mavic cosmic carbon ultimate, which is total weight as 1100grams.

Frankly, as a complete package, CCUs are shit. Poor hub design (which actually make the wheelset feel slow), about as aero as a box-section clincher, very very harsh ride feel, poor handling in strong crosswinds (relative to the competition) and not repairable. All thats good about the wheels comes out when you're riding out of the saddle. How much time do you spend out of the saddle?
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

zappafile123

by zappafile123

showdown wrote: They really are a purebred race wheel.

Completely agree. CCUs are fine as race wheels, just... really not everyday wheels. Also agree about your comment on the tires. Anything less than a 25c tub and they are absolutely brutal.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

PSM

by PSM

Fulcrum 0.

muntos

by muntos

Guys, need your help again !
I have the opportunity to buy an almost new pair of Bontrager Aeolus 3 Tubular (http://www.bike24.com/p271785.html) at half price (around $1000 dollars), please give me your input :)

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

How about the Easton EC90 Aero 55? How do they compare to the Boras?

mimason

by mimason

muntos. almost new tubs(2013 model?) It's an ok price for them if in that condition stated especially if the rubber is still good on them. Just check them out. They will ride nice and you can always relace them down the road if the hubs crap out....but for 1250 you can get new boras sans rubber.

muntos

by muntos

Here they are: http://www.dirtbike.ro/bazar/piese/roti ... ici-275388
I can't figure out what year the model is, could I know from pictures ? I saw that some wheels have white hubs with black stripes, and others have black hubs with white stripes (as are these and also how they are listed on Bontrager site)

upside

by upside

Those are tubulars.. I have had several sets and are great wheels. The tubulars have different bearing than the clinchers and roll much nicer. The internals are the DT Swiss 240's..... If the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate

muntos

by muntos

upside wrote:Those are tubulars.. I have had several sets and are great wheels. The tubulars have different bearing than the clinchers and roll much nicer. The internals are the DT Swiss 240's..... If the price was right, I wouldn't hesitate

Do you know the model's year ? Seems to be 2015 but I'm not sure.
The price would be around $800 USD.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

I ride Shamals on 4 bikes, and love them!

-Eddie

upside

by upside

Do you know the model's year ? Seems to be 2015 but I'm not sure.
The price would be around $800 USD.

I feel $800 is a bargain if new or like new. I think they changed the decals in 2015 and have been out of the retail part for a couple of years,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

muntos

by muntos

Done, Bontrager Aeolus 3 tubular are in my possession, they look gorgeous and as new :). Really happy, the only bad thing is that I'll have to wait till spring to ride them when my whole bike will be complete :(