Best all round wheelset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

showdown

by showdown

While I generally concur that for an all-around wheelset something with easily maintained/replaced parts is key (proprietary tech is a no-no as are internal nipples etc...) I have to give a nod to the Mavic CCUs, particularly if bought used. For under $2k one can have an amazing set of tubular wheels that change the way one thinks about wheels. Surely not for everyone and more inclined toward racing but at the cost of some of the other sets people have mentioned I'd be remiss to not suggest them.

muntos

by muntos

AJS914 wrote:
muntos wrote:3000+ USD :) ? No way I will pay this amount for a wheelset, sorry :(
So, any thoughts about Reynolds ASSAULT SLG or Bora One 35 :) ?

But you'd pay $1500 for a wheelset?

A $1500-$2500 wheelset is going to save you a handful of seconds at real world speeds.

So, you can forgo a few watts saved and get a really nice 1400 gram wheelset for well under $1000 or a 1500 gram wheelset for under $500.

What's your budget?

I would say that maximum 1500 USD/EUR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

I will probably suggest ENVE SES 4.5. Not much weight penalty from ENVE SES 3.3 but with better aero performance.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I put the Dura Ace C24 as best all around wheel set. They're light, climb well, cost under $1000, have great braking courtesy of the bonded metal strip and because they aren't deep handle cross-winds. They are moderately aero as well. I could not be more pleased since purchasing.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

joshclick

by joshclick

My vote is for Campy Bora One 35s. They are excellent bang for the buck at less than $1500, are extremely aero, durable and decently light.

I was between that and Mavic CCUs, but I ended up going for the CCUs (see the gallery in my sig) for the lightness and stiffness. The only downside is that I have to be afraid of punctures because they're tubular only wheels.

CEVelo

by CEVelo

SLCBrandon wrote:2nd'd on the 3.4's. I've owned the tubbie and Clincher version (as well as the 6.7's in both) and the 3.4's are my go to set for most days.

What are your thoughts around the differences between the 3.4 Clinchers and Tubulars? I have the 3.4 clinchers, yet want a lighter wheelset/tubulars...and is actually wondering if a set 3.4 Tubs make sense as i am looking for light / allround wheels with some emphasis on climbing. I know the difference is only 200grams, (yet there are other benefits with tubs as well)

ergott

by ergott

CEVelo wrote:What are your thoughts around the differences between the 3.4 Clinchers and Tubulars?

If going new, I would recommend the 4.5 over the 3.4. The weight difference is only about 20g (comparing tubular rims) if I remember right.

Slagter

by Slagter

@muntos

Since you are considering Campa Bora and Reynolds Assault, looks like you've already decided between alloy and carbon. This would be the first considerations, you should do. After that I'd say it's only a matter of personal taste. The difference between good carbonwheels is marginal.

You could take a look at rim profiles, and the hub quality and make your decision based on that. U-shaped rims are generally considered better in crosswinds. Wide rims er generally considered better handling wise. Regarding depth, the general rule is, the heavier you are, and the more flat terrain you'll do, the deeper you can go.

If I was to choose between Bora and Assault, I'd definitely choose campy. Haven't read any bad reports about those.

sawyer

by sawyer

joshclick is right - currently the Bora One Tubulars are the best all round wheelset

Campag hubs, 1190g, stiff, reliable, wide rim, great braking, look nice. Make Zipps look very expensive for what they are

The huge number of Shimano users on this board buying them or lusting after them says something
... a hard-to-please crowd for whom bike aesthetics are paramount, are willing to compromise all that to own these ... very telling ...

At the other end of the scale ... Zondas.

DA wheels are pretty close to Boras, but are just edged out on weight and hub compatibility
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

contaxxx

by contaxxx

I think as an real ALL AROUND wheelset (weather,durability,serviceability) it is hard to beat Pacenti sl23 on a WI t11's,but for to many people this is either to simple or to cheep...sadly.

muntos

by muntos

What are your thoughts about DT Swiss RC 38 SPLINE Tubular ?
http://www.bike24.com/p252794.html

EchoD

by EchoD

I have just got some Zipp 202's... I am looking for something more aero than my American Classic Magnesium Clinchers. They are Stupid light but... I want to try something more aero. Most likely going to list on the bay...

PARTIZAN

by PARTIZAN

Campagnolo Neutron

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

Curious what people would recommend for under $1K? Campy Shamals?
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

muntos wrote:What are your thoughts about DT Swiss RC 38 SPLINE Tubular ?
http://www.bike24.com/p252794.html

I like them. Stiff, reliable, but not the most acceleration friendly wheelset out there!
velonode.cc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com