11 speed cassette compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

clm2206

by clm2206

Hi all

I've heard you can use an 11s Campy cassette on a 11 sp Shimano or SRAM drivetrain. Does it happen the other way round? Can I use a 11s Shimano cassette on a 11s Campy drivetrain?

Thanks for your input!!

uraqt

by uraqt

From what I have read here, you can but it depends on if you have to have it perfect.....I run campy 10 shifters, campy 11 speed derailleur SRAM cassette on DA wheels. I only have 6 usable gears but that is all need were I ride ( and I suck at riding) : )

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

The cog spacing spec on Shimano, Sram and Campy 11sp are very close. IIRC within a few thousands of a millimeter. Many peoplehave reported cross compatibility in all directions.

sawyer

by sawyer

Not perfect IME with 11S SR cassette on DA 9000

Just below acceptable
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've used SRAM 1190 on campy drivetrain.. Worked better then my chorus and SR cassettes to me
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I recently had my lbs build up a new campy-based colnago project for me, using 2015 Chorus throughout, apart from my old wheels with Shimano freehub. I wanted to use a SRAM red 1190 cassette but on testing the shop said it was just below what they thought was passable. I tried it, and it certainly wasn't as smooth as my DA di2 set up, but not much is. Long story short I changed the freehub to a campy, loaded a chorus cassette and its buttery smooth. I'm glad I made the switch.
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

F45

by F45

SRAM 1190 on 6800 drivetrain. Couldn't get it perfect on both ends of the cassette. Bike shop mechanic agreed with me. Went back to ultegra.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Run DA9070 and often switch wheel sets, one set is fitted with Sram XG 11speed and the other DA cassette. IMO shifting quality is very similar and happy with either. Just my 2 bob.

Steve
BB

Coffee & carbon

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

This seems a good thread for something I've been pondering. Currently I have a tt bike with SRAM all over it, including a 10sp cassette and free hub on a rather expensive 2010/11? Zipp Super 9 disc. So, you can't convert it to an 11sp shimano/SRAM free hub but there is a Campy conversion kit. Since the campy free hub accepts 9/10/11 sp campy cassettes I'm thinking if I did decide to go 11sp on this rig or want to use it as a project bike for SRAM etap when it comes out, then just switching the free hub to campy with the conversion kit and slapping on an 11sp campy cassette and voila, job done, the disc now is 11sp compatible. Anyone done this? Would be a great way to preserve an expensive disc wheel for use with 11sp drive trains.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

F45

by F45

Yes, Calnago, that is an oft-used strategy.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Excellent! I've never done it but couldn't see a problem with it. Thanks. Good to know when the time comes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jrobart

by jrobart

Running DA 9000 cassette on SR rear derailleur. No problems.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

spookyload

by spookyload

Buying an older campy wheelset and using 11 on it is usually cheaper and easier than trying to find a Shimano 11 wheelset. If you are running Campy 11 drivetrain and want to use disc brakes, it is also easier to find Shimano 11 disc compatible hubs than Campy 11 disc hubs. Lets be honest though...it was just an excuse for Shimano to let their riders experience Neutrons and make their lives complete.

dfischer1

by dfischer1

I'm running 2014 11sp Chorus shifters with an Athena 11sp rear derailleur with a 105 5700 11sp 11-28 cassette. Also using an Ultegra 6800 compact crank, front derailleur and brakes.

Works perfectly.

sawyer

by sawyer

Calnago wrote:This seems a good thread for something I've been pondering. Currently I have a tt bike with SRAM all over it, including a 10sp cassette and free hub on a rather expensive 2010/11? Zipp Super 9 disc. So, you can't convert it to an 11sp shimano/SRAM free hub but there is a Campy conversion kit. Since the campy free hub accepts 9/10/11 sp campy cassettes I'm thinking if I did decide to go 11sp on this rig or want to use it as a project bike for SRAM etap when it comes out, then just switching the free hub to campy with the conversion kit and slapping on an 11sp campy cassette and voila, job done, the disc now is 11sp compatible. Anyone done this? Would be a great way to preserve an expensive disc wheel for use with 11sp drive trains.

As above, I've run SR 11 cassette with DA9000 and it wasn't perfect

TBH it wasn't acceptable for hard riding and certainly not for a TT bike. Fine for commuting/recovery.

But some others seem to have had better luck

I think the point on this is that the famous Zinn hiding in plain sight stuff does not accord with the range of real world experiences people have when they try this
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com