11 speed cassette compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FreaK

by FreaK

spookyload wrote:Buying an older campy wheelset and using 11 on it is usually cheaper and easier than trying to find a Shimano 11 wheelset. If you are running Campy 11 drivetrain and want to use disc brakes, it is also easier to find Shimano 11 disc compatible hubs than Campy 11 disc hubs. Lets be honest though...it was just an excuse for Shimano to let their riders experience Neutrons and make their lives complete.

HAHA i love this theory! Good points all round!
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

natiedean24

by natiedean24

I ride a campy drivetrain. Recently scored a set of HED Jet wheels used that were Shimano splined. It dawned on me to use an Ultegra cassette instead of converting the hub. BEST decision! The Shimano cassette shifts better. Honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clm2206

by clm2206

natiedean24 wrote:I ride a campy drivetrain. Recently scored a set of HED Jet wheels used that were Shimano splined. It dawned on me to use an Ultegra cassette instead of converting the hub. BEST decision! The Shimano cassette shifts better. Honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be my situation. Flawlessly on all gears even under load? If yes, what year and model your Campy drivetrain?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

spookyload wrote:Lets be honest though...it was just an excuse for Shimano to let their riders experience Neutrons and make their lives complete.

Excellent :lol:

Weirdly I've had two Ultegra 6800 bikes. One was happy running my Zonda's, one not. Both chains bit more than .5 of wear. Zonda's didn't see much use in between time as they sat on a spare bike. Only pulled them off as they had a 28 sprocket cassette.

novetan

by novetan

Im facing quite similar problem but not sure whether is exactly same as OP. Apology if it is but appreciate your advise as I'm not fully into bike gear stuff.

I’m riding a Bianchi with Campy grp set 11s with stock wheel for quite sometime and decided to upgrade. So I purchased a set of Dura Ace 9000 C50
online from Chain Reaction, specifiying 11s thinking it will simply match without knowing Shimano is not compatible with Campy. I wasn’t prompt at any step proceeding to the purchase. Probably Shimano feel that customer shld know of this.

Now I’m stuck. The shop advised I can actually just change to a Shimano cassette (cheapest option) while retaining the rest of my grp set but may run the risk of occasional chain jumping or frictional sound. Obviously I can’t accept that.

I wish to retain my grp set. What other options do I have?

Tks for advise.

mattr

by mattr

novetan wrote:Probably Shimano feel that customer shld know of this.
Well, most of them do say shimano 8-9-10 or shimano 11 compatible. Or Campag compatible. So it is fairly obvious.

novetan wrote:Now I’m stuck. The shop advised I can actually just change to a Shimano cassette (cheapest option) while retaining the rest of my grp set but may run the risk of occasional chain jumping or frictional sound. Obviously I can’t accept that.
A shimano cassette on a campag drivetrain does work, as you can see from this thread, it might require a bit more fettling and more regular maintenance. Which is probably why the shop didn't/don't want to get involved. But it can work. Get a 105 cassette and try it yourself. (I've got mates running this combination both ways, shimano cassettes with campag groups and campag cassettes with shimano groups, mostly it takes no time at all to set up, and it needs a tweak on the barrel adjuster once every blue moon.)

novetan wrote:I wish to retain my grp set. What other options do I have?
Other than using a shimano 11 cassette, the only other option that doesn't involve a new group is sending the wheels back.
Last edited by mattr on Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

novetan

by novetan

Tks guys. Glad to know its compatible