seat stay cracked?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

some of you might know from my previous post that i've been having some issues with my 2009 Scott Addict R1, where the rear felt loose when descending.

so tonight took it apart again.. wiped it down some more... and removed the garmin cadence that was on there with 2 zip ties.

did the penny tapping sound and found this section to be very high pitch as compared to the right side of the seat stay.

here are the photos... i've also sent email to Scott to see. Hopefully it's not cracked....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e3gdclc8mn06 ... Xdfma?dl=0

last photo is from my farsport 38mm V shape rear wheel...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I can't see any cracks?

addictR1

by addictR1

the line that it's pointed to.. that section is where the high pitch sound came about. doesn't feel anything from outside though.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'm no expert with carbon, but I do believe the seatstay is fine - those are just voids in the resin (as I said not 100% sure). I've seen a few unidirectional carbon lay-ups which look similar. I wouldn't say it's anything to be concerned about.

It does look like your wheel is cracked though. I would strongly recommend at least getting the wheel looked at.

I'd hazard trying the bike with a different set of wheels, else consult a more professional opinion.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks istigatrice, i've sent the photos to Scott and have them take a look. worse case, will send frame in for them to examine.

i do have another pair of Farsport wheels i can try to ride on and see if it will produce that soft loose feel.

i've checked around and most say when there's a crack.. u should hear a dense sound.. but i'm hearing a high pitch sound. is that the same?

AJS914

by AJS914

No, the sound goes from higher pitched to lower pitched (dead sounding).

addictR1

by addictR1

ok, then in that case probably seat stay is fine. does that goes the same with carbon wheelset as well?

xena
Banned

by xena

I don't think it's cracked. It reminds me of the carbon on my bike. I have some lines like that were the carbon [strips] came off stuck to the paint when I was removing it [ the paint] Its been fine. Years of riding.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

chipomarc

by chipomarc

This is one reason why it's not a good idea to have a bike that weights in under 18 lbs.
They are just far too fragile.

addictR1

by addictR1

well.. this is a weightweenie site... so it's all about lightweight.. haha

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

We should all just ride Surley Long Haul Truckers and forget this carbon fiber crap.
:-)