Current di2/eps owners - upgrade to etap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

aaric wrote:I'll disagree on the blips being better. I've easily wired up multiple shift points for my Di2 setups using an etube wire and cateye momentary buttons - less than $40 of parts vs the blips, and endlessly customize-able.

I'd like to ride the levers to feel if they offer better feedback, but being in California, the heavy glove feedback isn't as important to me...and I usually grab another bike when its dark or wet for my rides (its a mashup of sram rival/force mechanical if that matters)

Why not eTap?
1) cost / availability - eTap is going to be selling at retail prices for a while, at least until stock is readily available. Di2 prices are well below retail if you are patient. how long until the parts are in stock? What happens if you break something. There's also an ultegra version for shimano, which is a great value.
2) uncertainty over durability / parts availability: new product, new supply chain, etc. There's risk associated.
3) how well does wireless actually work? are there going to be unforeseen issues with this?

Are using the Sprint shift ports for the cateyes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WeightySteve

by WeightySteve

I've 2 bikes on 7900 Di2 - one with custom internal battery and spliced climb/sprinter shifters, other with climber shifter only (and I sorely miss the sprinters on that bike I'm probably going to splice again very soon). Both on 7900 SRMs! So there's a huge investment there and an upgrade is basically £5000+ ish...

The ONLY thing I miss is 11sp, and more specicially for that on a 12-25 casette, it's the 18 sproket I miss.

Even if Etap is as smooth shifting and reliable and maintenance free as Di2 (and is it?) upgrading just to loose a couple of well concealed wires and gain an 18T? No chance.

I'm holding out to see where disc brakes go, as that basically means a whole new bike anyway.

And by then Shimano DA 9100/9200 wireless/hyraulic (and 9300 most likely with actual brain/facial response style integration for shiftless shifting - this is not so far fetched.... wearable technology, cameras and screens built into shades which we already have... it doesn't take much beyond that for a Stephen Hawking type shifting trigger mechanism).

(And by then the house will be paid for, which will allow me to borrow another 15K for 2 new bikes!)

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I like to have in the garage at least one bike equipped with each of the big componentry makers. It certainly costs money, but to me one of the appeals of cycling is technology, and shifting technology is among the most intriguing in the field. I love using and pondering about these mechanisms.

I never took the money and time to build a SRAM 22 bike though, as I was more into the electronic groupsets. My only full mechanical bike is Campag SR.

But eTap is something I definitely have have to have. There is an elegance inherent to it, and it is also a first that will be remembered in the future, if it proves to be a success as well as it doesn't. I didn't forgot about ZMS and Mektronic, and both were brilliant when released.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Riding DA9070, "upgrade" to Etap, why???

Confused
BB

Coffee & carbon

aaric

by aaric

goodboyr wrote:Are using the Sprint shift ports for the cateyes?

Yes.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132780

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Riding Super Record EPS v2 on 2 bikes. I have ZERO desire to go to etap. If I built a new electronic shift bike today, I would use EPS, and not consider etap. I am not against a SRAM Product. I run SRAM on my cross bike, MTB, and fat tire.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

No don't want etap. Very happy with di2 and eps

CEVelo

by CEVelo

Can't see the point in this either.
"Upgrade" is debatable. It's more like changing between EPS & Di2 or vise versa. No point, just another electronic option.
Having had DA 9070 Di2 on my bike for 7 months or so, I can truly say it's so good, that the only reason to ever change is if it breaks down.

losdoyers

by losdoyers

Grill wrote:I've downgraded from 9070 to 9000 on my road bike. Much happier. Won't get rid of the 6870 on my TT bike though. The ETap TT groupset is rubbish so no point changing.

Just get a Red cassette for 9070.

+1 for the mechanical. Wouldn't exactly call that a downgrade. Haha

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I own SR EPS and DA Di2 (and 2 Red22 groups).....I'll get eTap too cause I like cycling stuff and im not the type to be negative about everything I don't own.

jimborello

by jimborello

Im with you on this one Brandon, now you have an excuse to get another bike, or even 2 if you consider the Rotor uno

maxxevv

by maxxevv

If history is anything to go by ... I'll skip the first generation of anything introduced by SRAM.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

For the moment, I'm definitely more interested in Rotor Uno. Etap is doubtless nice, my reservations about it's shifting controls aside, but for my money, all electronic groups are simply too expensive. A couple of stepper motors or other actuators precisely moving some metal around isn't a new or sophisticated technology. Surely sequential shifting should be there out of the box at the very least, but all three companies have, in my opinion, taken the path of least resistance on this one.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Riding campagnolo EPS and other campy mechanicals. No plans to change. Selling all brands. All are good.

Shimano cassettes are better than SRAM in quality.... I wonder what your problem has been?

Tech.

Shimano has the best tech when comparing Campy and Shimano although v3 is a vast improvement of EPS simplicity and function.

etap is an unknown so far I´ve only seen the advertising.

Wireless seems good. I think I´ll wait for the wireless EPS then. I´m sure Shimano will come up with something as well.

I cant see the logic in upgrading if you allready have Di2 or EPS. But ofcourse if you are buying something new then why not try it especially if your happy with how the grips fit your hands. Functionality wize I´m sure all three will be on par. So far I feel Shimano is in the lead on functionality though and I´m saying this as a true campy nut. Electronic Shimano is a lot easier to work with than EPS
Last edited by mrowkoob on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

when zombie apocalypse comes all you electron munching heathens will see what is the true upgrade! **evil laugh**