Current di2/eps owners - upgrade to etap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys.

Just want to ask you if any of you current di2/eps owners consider upgrading to the etap? I got some sleepless nights over it. My iner geeks wants it, my wallet/Common sense not so much?

And the only problem with my di2 9070 is actually only the rubbish cassette. Everything else is flawless.

What about you guys? Maybe some pros and cons.. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

Currently riding SR EPS on one of my bike and no plan to change to etap.

Pros: it is wireless
Cons: it is SRAM

cedced74

by cedced74

I am currently using 9070 Di2, reliable and incredibly smooth, so no change for me...
Pros : light, wireless, easy to install, blips, price maybe...
Cons : reliability ? autonomy ?

shillc

by shillc

EPS v1 and v2. Love them both so no reason to change.

Grill

by Grill

I've downgraded from 9070 to 9000 on my road bike. Much happier. Won't get rid of the 6870 on my TT bike though. The ETap TT groupset is rubbish so no point changing.

Just get a Red cassette for 9070.

aaric

by aaric

Biggest advantage is not having to run the wires. Having already run the wires for Di2, it would be a bit foolish to update for the sake of something new. I can see it being neat for a TT project or retrofitting a non-wired setup, but honestly, new bike frames aren't that hard to run cables on...just figure on buying a Park IR-1.

And like other forms of networking, wired is always faster / more reliable than the same generation of wireless.

As for the cassette, I've only ever run the Red 1190 cassette with my Di2, and haven't had any issues.

salesguy

by salesguy

Currently on 9070.

On a new build I would consider etap, though the slower rear shifting is a bit of a concern.

Otherwise i'm completely happy with the Di2 and having already run the wires why change. New build maybe...

rms13

by rms13

aaric wrote:Biggest advantage is not having to run the wires. Having already run the wires for Di2, it would be a bit foolish to update for the sake of something new. I can see it being neat for a TT project or retrofitting a non-wired setup, but honestly, new bike frames aren't that hard to run cables on...just figure on buying a Park IR-1.

And like other forms of networking, wired is always faster / more reliable than the same generation of wireless.

As for the cassette, I've only ever run the Red 1190 cassette with my Di2, and haven't had any issues.

I disagree. No wires to run is one of the huge advantages. Others are (based on reviews):

1. Big levers that have better feel and easier to use with gloves in cold weather
2. More intuitive and better take on shifting. Right paddle move RD right, left paddle move RD left and both paddles simultaneously shifts FD
3. Better blip controls to give you additional shifters wherever you want on your bars

So the better question is if you are building a new bike and etap is available and similarly priced, why would you choose the Shimano or Campy options?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Etap is an upgrade? That's debatable
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

jimborello

by jimborello

If you have already an electronic installed there is no point in "upgrading" for an etap. I would only consider it if I were going to build a new tt bike where the cable routing is complicated and the slower shifting doesnt matter.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

My problem is, i sold my s-works tarmac sl4 and bought a caad10 until i found a new frame. And now that I'm looking for a new frame, this beautiful wireless group shows up. So my problem is i dont want to buy a colnago, pinarello what ever and then have ugly wire holes on it if they start to make frames without cable guide and holes.

Hmm :wink:

LionelB

by LionelB

For production frames I think these holes will be there for a few more years. If you go custom you can certainly get rid of them.

showdown

by showdown

Nope.

I used SRAM for years (our team was sponsored by SRAM) before building my current bike up with Di2. Ive been so happy with Di2 that I couldn't imagine switching to another system.

Setting up the bike with the wires was easier than mechanical and since that day I haven't thought about them once so I don't really see an advantage in a wireless system. My battery has been charged maybe three times in two years so I'm not in need of swappable derailleur-mounted batteries. And I've programmed the sprinter switches to be right-downshift, left-upshift like eTap and if ever I feel the need I can reprogram the system again.

I will say that I do use SRAM's 1190 cassettes as they're far superior to the Shimano ones.

survivor

by survivor

Like some of the forumers have pointed out, "upgrade" is debatable. In term of performance I don't see how SRAM E-tap is superior to Di2 or EPS.

For a new bike build maybe it is another options to choose from for group set. For me personally if you are already on EPS or Di2, there really is not much motivation to change to E-tap.

aaric

by aaric

I'll disagree on the blips being better. I've easily wired up multiple shift points for my Di2 setups using an etube wire and cateye momentary buttons - less than $40 of parts vs the blips, and endlessly customize-able.

I'd like to ride the levers to feel if they offer better feedback, but being in California, the heavy glove feedback isn't as important to me...and I usually grab another bike when its dark or wet for my rides (its a mashup of sram rival/force mechanical if that matters)

Why not eTap?
1) cost / availability - eTap is going to be selling at retail prices for a while, at least until stock is readily available. Di2 prices are well below retail if you are patient. how long until the parts are in stock? What happens if you break something. There's also an ultegra version for shimano, which is a great value.
2) uncertainty over durability / parts availability: new product, new supply chain, etc. There's risk associated.
3) how well does wireless actually work? are there going to be unforeseen issues with this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com