Current di2/eps owners - upgrade to etap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

austke

by austke

Have both SR EPS and DI2 9070.
Even on a new build, I will be staying with both Campy and Shimano. I do run SRAM on a few bikes. With No issue.
But both EPS and DI2 have worked flawlessly for me, so why fix what isn't Broken. :)
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Currently on both 9070/9000 user and was happy w/ SRAM Red/Praxis/Force previously. Would never move to this or any platform this soon as I wait for v2 typically or a year's run of working out bugs and determining if its actually any good or long term failures manifest. Just because the pros use it does not mean it works for me.

109er

by 109er

I wouldnt call E-Tap an upgrade, it is simply....different. EPS and Di2 are pretty flawless. Aside from maybe the wires.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

springs

by springs

mariovalentim wrote: ....electron munching heathens....

haha, good one mario! :-) Still, I'd love to have an etap bike.

gravity

by gravity

LionelB wrote:Currently riding SR EPS on one of my bike and no plan to change to etap.

Pros: it is wireless
Cons: it is SRAM

You've come from a handmade steel to Specialized Crux, SRAM eTap will be a matter of time. :wink: :lol:

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Junction boxes is one of the reasons that etap is so attractive. Cleaner cockpit is another. However once UI2 or DI2 is already installed why would you "upgrade" unless it is merely to have the latest toys?
When upgrading from a mechanical groupo or installing a groupo on a new bike eTap gets a whole lot more interesting!
I am looking forward to the reviews and eTap Force.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

The reason that I'm craving for the eTap is that my BMC is an old model (2013) and I love it to pieces but it had external cabling. I am still on 10 speeds and would like to upgrade the drivetrain, eTap is the natural answer here and I believe many cyclists will have the same idea as I.

If I were to buy a new bike I would check what configuration have the best price between Di2, Eps or eTap since I believe the quality will be the same...

oopssk8

by oopssk8

I hope to change new etap due to compatibility for repair, wash

Miller

by Miller

Got EPS, love it. Sure on wired systems there's more work to be done at installation but after that there's just one battery to maintain, not four. I don't like Sram anyway, their advertising and graphics are too loud.

Stueys

by Stueys

Only advantage of wireless is if they start making frames without holes and the inherent compromises the holes bring. Until that point it's a wash.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Stueys wrote:Only advantage of wireless is if they start making frames without holes and the inherent compromises the holes bring. Until that point it's a wash.

You'll still need holes for the rear calipers. Now if someone could just come up with wireless brake technology...or e-brakes :)

53x12

by 53x12

Stueys wrote:Only advantage of wireless is if they start making frames without holes and the inherent compromises the holes bring. Until that point it's a wash.

I'm sorry holes in your frame are preventing you from winning your local races.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

rmerka

by rmerka

mariovalentim wrote:when zombie apocalypse comes all you electron munching heathens will see what is the true upgrade! **evil laugh**

Quote just because it was great!

After two Di2 bikes (which are fantastic to ride) I went back to a mechanical Campy setup. It's like coming home and I didn't realize what I was missing. Probably won't do another electronic group unless it's for the wife.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Same sentiments as others. Run 9070...I already did the work to run the wiring/setup.

eTap, very simple, no wires..that is the great thing. But for now, the price is going to be stupid, and availability non-existent. So I will do like I did Di2 9070...wait until the market is so flooded with it, and get it half the price in about 2yrs.

9070 working fine...Of course, maybe resale of 9070i would be better now than waiting.

It is a pickum!!!

But seriously, I haven't touched my FD/RD and done anything to my 9070 Di2 in 2yrs!!! Charge battery. No joke, change wheels all the time, replaced chainrings/cassettes, ok, micro adjustment...otherwise...it just works. Run QRings etc.

Anyway...IDK, if you got the money, and eTap is available, and you demo'd it and happy...why not??? It is really simple to setup/run and no wires compared to Di2...get a spare battery, away you go!! You can plan to just keep/run it for the next 5yrs onward.

Finally, the thread title is debatable...who says it is an upgrade over Di2??? Besides no wires. There is more hassle to it. Charge way more often than Di2 ever needs. Otherwise, what is the benefit? Di2 is still one of the lightest groupsets on Earth?

IDK...to each his own...maybe one day, but no time soon. 9070 Di2 just works flawless for me right now...yes, just hate the wires/junction box.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I ride Super Record EPS v2 on 2 bikes, and mechanical Super Record on 4 others. SRAM is my goto doe CX , MTB, and Fat Tire. But all things road are Campagnolo for me.

-Eddie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com