Current di2/eps owners - upgrade to etap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bungis

by bungis

Despite that eTap has been used by pro teams for years as part of its development and testing with no recent failures of note I'm pretty uncertain about it's reliability. On the fence about it, if you will.

/Sarcasm

Of course there's that time they released a defective rear cassette, oh wait wrong company...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118879

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

As user of both EPS and Di2 it's the first time I'm willing to have a road bike with Sram. I have to say my mtbs are by default a Sram business.

Not sure I'll appreciate the shifting procedure, but the concept as a whole is brilliant.

KidKarbon

by KidKarbon

I'm not changing my Di2 for etap. Having no wires only matters when your building the bike while Di2 has faster shifting, can shift the front ring under power and does not suffer from battery drain when on a roof rack.
Other than than having no real advantage over Di2 for me the fact its SRAM bothers me, it took them a year to address issues with my SRAM Hydro-R - the customer service is simply the worst and I'm not interested in paying to test another product.

AJS914

by AJS914

Nejmann wrote:My problem is, i sold my s-works tarmac sl4 and bought a caad10 until i found a new frame. And now that I'm looking for a new frame, this beautiful wireless group shows up. So my problem is i dont want to buy a colnago, pinarello what ever and then have ugly wire holes on it if they start to make frames without cable guide and holes.

Hmm :wink:

Just buy it. It sounds like you want it. You don't need a justification from people here.

Stueys

by Stueys

53x12 wrote:
Stueys wrote:Only advantage of wireless is if they start making frames without holes and the inherent compromises the holes bring. Until that point it's a wash.

I'm sorry holes in your frame are preventing you from winning your local races.

They aren't and that isn't what I said or alluded to. Why not comment and say the holes in my frame are stopping me flying to the moon? That comment would have been about as useful and relevant.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I'm waiting for Apex eTap.

53x12

by 53x12

Stueys wrote:
53x12 wrote:
Stueys wrote:Only advantage of wireless is if they start making frames without holes and the inherent compromises the holes bring. Until that point it's a wash.

I'm sorry holes in your frame are preventing you from winning your local races.

They aren't and that isn't what I said or alluded to. Why not comment and say the holes in my frame are stopping me flying to the moon? That comment would have been about as useful and relevant.

Because there is no issue with "inherent compromises the holes bring" so to talk about holes being in the frame and how wireless will all of a sudden make up for some "inherent compromises" is about as useful as talking about how your bike can grill a great steak.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

sychen

by sychen

Frames without holes? Got plenty of them.. All my Aluminium bikes have no holes... Only cable guides... Old school yo.

Sorry couldnt help it ;)

In all seriousness.. My inner geek/outer geek as an IT guy would love an wireless system for my next new bike. Don't even need it as I don't even run 11spd at the moment.

On my bike it's my disconnect from digital stuff time (besides the garmin/fly6) ... So happy with mech shifting.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk