Brand New Cervelo R5 Noise

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Fastfwd wrote:
AJS914 wrote:
I have not checked anything yet

Well, that is the first thing you have to do. :) :) :)

It sounds like something is loose. It could sound like it's from the bottom bracket area but coming from somewhere else. Recently I had a clicking sound that sounded like it was the bottom bracket but it was the seat/seatpost.

If you bounce the bike on the ground a little can you make it rattle?

You know... it sounded so much like it was coming from the bottom bracket area that I didn't consider it, but the seat post clamp came loose during the ride too. I had loosened the bolts a few days prior to the event to get the clamps straighter than they were originally tightened down. At about mile 70 the seat almost fell off the bike. I didn't Loctite the seat clamps back down because I've never had to do that with my other bike. I thought they were tight enough, but apparently not. I had to snug the clamp back the best that I could to finish the event which equated to the nose of the seat being a whole lot less than comfortable for the last 30 miles because my portable tool couldn't reach the front seat post clamp bolt through the post. I can't remember now if I kept hearing what I thought was the bottom bracket noise after the seat clamp came loose and was retightened.

What I believed to be bottom bracket noises were the loudest around over mile 30 to mile 40 something. I remember because I kept feeling like I should stop at one of the rest stops and I just didn't need to stop at the time and kept riding on. Maybe only about 5 to the most 10 miles before the seat almost came off I noticed that it seemed to have shifted, but it wasn't noticeably loose. It almost felt like the seat post was bent is what I was thinking at the time. It's carbon though - it wouldn't bend is what I kept thinking.

I feel bad that I started this thread making Cervelo look at fault if this is just that seat post clamp echoing the noise to sound like it came from the bottom bracket. I've read so many posts about the bottom bracket I guess it has me super paranoid about it.

I went out and rode it tonight over some rough pavement and I couldn't hear anything.

I appreciate the input. This is what I was hoping for I suppose. Input on what else it could be. I may just delete this thread if I can if that is what the noise turned out to be.

Just edit the first post adding your update to the top.

Sent from my Oneplus One using Tapatalk