Bike feedback from people with experience

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

campyjoe

by campyjoe

I'm in the market for a new bike. I've considered many brands and there are shops within 100 miles that offer Cervelo, BMC, Cannondale, etc. In the town I live, there is a shop that offers Trek and Giant. These two brands appeal to me because I'm friends with the owner, have bought all my bikes from him and I can have them serviced without having to travel far and I really feel the quality is very high.

The bikes I'm considering are the Trek Emonda SL 6 and the Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1. The giant costs a little more but comes with carbon wheels. The only thing comparable I can test ride is a Trek Emonda S 6. He currently doesn't have the other 2 models in stock. The geometry of the S is the same as the SL, so I should get an accurate indication of how the SL handles. The SL will be lighter however.

I would love to hear pros and cons for each of the 2 bikes. I no longer race, but when I ride, I ride hard as if I were training to race. I do group rides twice a week and the other days I ride alone. Thanks for all input.

pletharoe

by pletharoe

I have no experience of either, I can only tell you about my friend's experience with trek's warranty. It was a few years ago, so I'm hazy on the details.

One of the stays (seat stay or chain stay, I can't remember), broke near to the derailer hanger. The mechanic at the shop (who has an impressive CV) showed me how this could not be due to a crash or mishandling. Nevertheless Trek refused to cover it on the frame warranty.

Due to this and other similar incidents, the shop no longer supplies Trek bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campyjoe

by campyjoe

pletharoe wrote:I have no experience of either, I can only tell you about my friend's experience with trek's warranty. It was a few years ago, so I'm hazy on the details.

One of the stays (seat stay or chain stay, I can't remember), broke near to the derailer hanger. The mechanic at the shop (who has an impressive CV) showed me how this could not be due to a crash or mishandling. Nevertheless Trek refused to cover it on the frame warranty.

Due to this and other similar incidents, the shop no longer supplies Trek bikes.

Thanks for the feedback. I have read similar stories about several other manufacturers as well. I believe it was on another forum, but I remember reading somewhere where customers had similar problems with companies such as Cervelo, BMC, Kestrel, etc. I do believe what you're telling me and the others weren't bashing those companies I feel, but I believe frame failure with any of these top brands is probably a small percentage. I wish there were actual figures we could see that lists failure rates for these companies.

pletharoe

by pletharoe

Unfortunately we'll never get figures like that, you can only rely on anecdotal evidence. I imagine that the vast majority of bikes from all those companies work fine. You just have to ask "What will happen if it's mine that has a problem?" It could be any part of the bike - how is the manufacturer going to treat you?

I cracked a Ridley Helium a few years back, some stairs may have been involved (forgot I wasn't riding an MTB). It took just a few days for them to agree to replacing it. Now I feel confident that my investment is secure.

109er

by 109er

Whichever fits you getter. Always go for the bike that fits.

That said, I have ridden both. The Giant extensively, the Trek much less so.

If I had to give you a pick, go for the Giant.

The Giant TCR Advanced 1 is still my favorite race bike. When I was lucky enough to race on it, it was everything I had ever hoped for. Super stiff I mean really stiff, excellent geometry (steep headtube slack seattube with maybe a slightly taller headtube and super short chainstays), very good weight, and all that with a remarkable ride quality. Needless to say, I really loved the bike. We had ours shod in the P-SLR wheels and ran them tubeless with IRC Roadlite tubeless tires. That maybe made the bike ride very well.

The Trek, in the time I rode it, was very stiff. And it beat you up a little more so. I like the geometry, it's very aggressive...which I like. I actually liked it as a race bike and would be happy racing on it. However for everyday riding I would be much much happier riding the Giant. It just FEELS better. More confidence inspiring.

Just my opinion.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

pletharoe wrote:Unfortunately we'll never get figures like that, you can only rely on anecdotal evidence. I imagine that the vast majority of bikes from all those companies work fine. You just have to ask "What will happen if it's mine that has a problem?" It could be any part of the bike - how is the manufacturer going to treat you?

I cracked a Ridley Helium a few years back, some stairs may have been involved (forgot I wasn't riding an MTB). It took just a few days for them to agree to replacing it. Now I feel confident that my investment is secure.

Lol

"Uhm yeah my road bike broke while i was just riding along....down 6 flights of stairs"

campyjoe

by campyjoe

109er wrote:Whichever fits you getter. Always go for the bike that fits.

That said, I have ridden both. The Giant extensively, the Trek much less so.

If I had to give you a pick, go for the Giant.

The Giant TCR Advanced 1 is still my favorite race bike. When I was lucky enough to race on it, it was everything I had ever hoped for. Super stiff I mean really stiff, excellent geometry (steep headtube slack seattube with maybe a slightly taller headtube and super short chainstays), very good weight, and all that with a remarkable ride quality. Needless to say, I really loved the bike. We had ours shod in the P-SLR wheels and ran them tubeless with IRC Roadlite tubeless tires. That maybe made the bike ride very well.

The Trek, in the time I rode it, was very stiff. And it beat you up a little more so. I like the geometry, it's very aggressive...which I like. I actually liked it as a race bike and would be happy racing on it. However for everyday riding I would be much much happier riding the Giant. It just FEELS better. More confidence inspiring.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the input. If it ever stops raining here I'm going to test ride the Trek. Unfortunately the shop doesn't have the Giant in stock, so I will need to ride the closest thing they have. I'm mainly trying to determine fit and handling characteristics. I hope I will be able to get close enough to the geometry of the Giant to make a descent comparrisson.

109er

by 109er

You can almost always replicate a fit from bike to bike. You might have to change sizes though. Fit is driven by a few things but if your shop has a great fit department or someone who can help you with understanding the different fits of the bikes, that will go a long long way to finding the right bike for you. Unfortunately test riding a bike is not a really good representation of how the bike will fit, or even ride.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xena
Banned

by xena

You can adapt most frames in the right ball park to fit you. I have rode quite a few bikes and I could only go from my experience and what I like, my opinion would differ from another posters opinion which would differ from another posters opinion etc
Buy a nice frame and go from there. You can then fit the parts you like, this is what will make the bike right for you.
I think most of the big name bike makers make it as hard as they can to replace a damaged bike. Most really don't care that much.
Good Luck
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/