MCFK 5 grams with Extralite bolt machined down further

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SebK

by SebK

MCFK (Germany) Custom seatclamp modified by me incl Extralite heavily machined bolt and shortened in the lathe . 5grams. 

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FreaK

by FreaK

You glorious son of a gun!
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

SebK

by SebK

Errr... cool :) !!!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Super impressed with your work.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Nelus

by Nelus

Nice work.
Everything is all right in the end, so if everything is not allright it's not the end

SebK

by SebK

Thnks guys :) !!! Starting to feel a little better about this site .

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Do you think it's possible to drill down a standard "heavy" clamp to something resembling this?

Mine's 30g for example. I'll probably never get it under 10g but what are your thoughts? 15g Possible? Any tips?

SebK

by SebK

You could drill through the centre with a carbide drill bit slowly and work your way (gently ) to about 2.5mm to the edge of the clamp using a cutting tool (rotary tool) to create a large slot to reduce weight .You have to be careful with alloy as it can crack easy if too much pressure/stress is put on it . Then just smooth the slot with either a narrow sanding drum or 300-600 grit paper . Remember not to leave any stress risers . All edges have to be rounded and not lines should be on the metal where you have cut . You should easily drop the weight to around 15grams (depending on the thickness of the alloy) .

Tomstr

by Tomstr

That is some hardcore tuning! :beerchug:
Ride it like you stole it

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

love the shaved bolt, never really considered doing that before but then this is low torque...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Very nice work. Have you checked out the Show Us Your Tuning thread? Lot's of good stuff in there

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice! But I burned through 2 ultralight Al seatpost clamps before going back to the still-light one which shipped with my Fuji SL/2 which was maybe 5 grams heavier. The security was worth it.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

djconnel wrote:Nice! But I burned through 2 ultralight Al seatpost clamps before going back to the still-light one which shipped with my Fuji SL/2 which was maybe 5 grams heavier. The security was worth it.

Please tell us which ones to avoid?

SebK

by SebK

Oh those thin walled aluminium ones are rubbish . I have never owned one simply because just by looking at them you can tell the narrowness of the aluminium will break over time . They should be a little thicker at the front (where most stress is put on the seatclamp) . No these carbon ones are very strong .

DanW

by DanW

My 6g/ £20 Mt Zoom clamp has been going strong for 2 years MTB riding/ racing. Nice tuning though. At 3-4Nm you could probably even get away with an Alu bolt- I didn't have any issues with that on other clamps in the past

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com