Carbon fork expanders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Just cut my fork steer and when I put the expander (a silver one about 3" long) in it wouldn't go all the way down. When I looked down the steerer there was a piece of resin across the diameter of the steerer. Is this structural or just left over from the manufacturing process? Can I cut it out? Anyone had this before
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

you have to use specific carbon fork expander as carbon-ti , extralite , mcfk ....
http://eliflap.it/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Using the one that came with the fork and frame (litespeed). I think the problem is that they do not consider smaller riders who do not need many (any) spacers. I've set it up with 2 x 5mm spacers but don't really need both of them, the headtube is short (95 mm i think)

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

pics
Attachments
IMG_3571.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Fork expanders aren't that expensive so you just buy a shorter.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I've seen that structure inside fork steerers before - I think it's part of the way the they're molded...that some of the carbon from the inside of each leg runs up inside the steerer. As others have said, I think you just get a shorter expander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I've never seen that before. Does it look "structural" to you? I can't really tell from the pics. Looks just like some resin going randomly side to side in there. I actually did see a piece of resin going across the inside of the last steer tube on a Cannondale I worked on but I just picked it out of there. It certainly wasn't structural however.

I really like those longer expander plugs however... I feel they give some support down below the stem and through the headset bearing. I'd use it, especially if it was supplied with the fork. But to be safe, why don't you give Litespeed a call and ask them. The manufacturer would always be the first call I make when posed with a situation like that.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SebK

by SebK

It's called butting . The lower end towards the legs are reinforced with extra cloth for strength and the less layers are used as you go further up .

The only way to overcome this is to machine the plug down . DO NOT machine the inside of the steerer . Cut the segments down and the inside bolt . Easy !!!

Just looked at the pictures . Looks like excess resin . Make sure it isn't structural . If it looks like a mess then it's clearly excess resin and you can just machine it away . If it looks neat and in line with the steerer then do not touch it .

sungod

by sungod

hard to tell from the images, but to me that doesn't look like a planned structure within the steerer

i'd just ask litespeed for their recommendation, if the steerer is supposed to be like this i'd be surprised if you are the only person to have the same issue

http://litespeed.com/contact-us

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Don't do anything to the fork, that alone will end warranty. Just buy a shorter expander.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

2old4this

by 2old4this

Shorter expanders may not be very desirable if he is riding his bike hard (like racing.) More contact surface to distribute the force seems like a safer approach (to me anyways.)

thebuny

by thebuny

How much space you have available inside the fork?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Tune GumGum expander?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com