HELP: Campy on Litespeed T1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Hi, any advice please. I can't seem to get the rear brake to work properly. The bend seems extreme with Campagnolo Super record skeleton brakes and the end of the cable is fouling on the frame stop. There is no ferule as I can't seem to get one over the brake cable and from what I understand people don't use them anymore on the new Campy groupsets? See attached pic. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3565.JPG
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

eric01

by eric01

That is a tight bend. Looks like cable could be slightly longer. Or you could try Nokons or other link style housing which can take tighter bends
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Campy brake housing has not used ferrules for a very long time, if ever.

That's a small frame, hence the problem.

The housing is slightly too long. Take off 1/4 inch so that the entries at either end are more inline. Longer will make it worse.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I'll try taking a bit off but it makes the entry to the brakes tighter, not helped by the campy brake arm being longer than ever but I take the point about the small frame size making it worse. It is a small bot an extra small though... Curiously my Ghisallo has it's brake cable holders on the top side of the top tube rather than the bottom.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Plus of course, make sure the housing ends are open and the cable runs freely. I think you'll be OK, but if I'm wrong then perhaps the Nokon type approach is what you'll end up with.

One.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Attached pics of Ghisallo's routine also a small.
Attachments
IMG_3566.JPG
IMG_3567.JPG

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Campy brake housing does not use ferrules going into the brake calipers or levers themselves anymore but for cable stops on the frames, especially in a situation like you have I always use them. Just have to find the ones that fit the 4.9mm cable housing, assuming you're using Campy cables. Unfortunately, Campy doesn't supply any with their cable kits anymore like they used to when they used ferrules in the levers so the exact right size is a little difficult to find these days. I know I ordered some from somewhere but can't remember where now. Perhaps a local bike shop has some lying around they can give you as you could definitely use one there. It would help a lot.
And make sure like bikerjulio says the ends are open and filed or ground square. I don't think the housing is too long. Making it shorter will make the bend almost impossible going into the brake caliper. Proper length is critical here but the main issue is just the frame size and placement of the stops and brakes, which you have to live with.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

No still catching. The cable is catching on the frame cable guide as the housing is not exiting straight. Don't see a way round this. I tried to fit a ferule over the end to help keep it straight but it does not fit. Are there different sized ferules for gear and brake cables? all mine seem to be the same
Attachments
IMG_3568.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Calnago you just answered my question :)

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Calnago, do you use the ferules on the gear stops?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Campy derailleur housing uses ferrules at the points where it touches the frame. The current generation of shifters do NOT use ferrules, the housing goes directly into the shifter body.

Derailleur housing uses reinforcing that runs longitudinally and the ferrules are needed to prevent it spreading.

One.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

My old Litespeed frame has brake cable stops that fit the housing fairly closely, and yours look similar. therefore, a ferrule isn't going to help as it won't fit in there.

it's really a frame problem, as the stop needs to be further forward on the small ones.

Nokon?

One.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Re derailleur housing ferrules... Campy still supplies these since yes, you use them at the frame stops and the ends of the piece of derailleur housing that goes into the derailleur, but not the shifters. The cable kits supplies four for that purpose, but like their brake housing, they are not the Shimano size of 4.0mm... Campy's derailleur housing is 4.1mm so make sure you don't try to jam the campy housing into a ferrule that's too small. And too large defeats the purpose. And as always, it sometimes depends on what the frame manufacturer has designed as well.

Back to the brakes, from your pics you don't have a ferrule at the front stop either. I would use on their too, it will just fit better and looks nicely finished, but definitely use one on the rear to help prevent the mess that's currently occurring. And again, campy brake housing is 4.9mm, versus 4.6mm (I think) for Shimano. The right ferrules will fit perfectly over the housing.

One caveat... I have run across a few frames (well... one), where the cable stop, an internally routed stop through the frame, was not big enough to accommodate the ferrule. So, instead of using the campy cables there, I ran Shimano housing... not ideal, but it worked. Just make sure you only use a length that doesn't have the "shimano" logo on it, otherwise it won't work :lol:
:beerchug:
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Thanks guys. The ferules help and take up the slack in the socket and make the cable exit straighter although there is stress where the cable exits the ferule. Think that's inevitable with the small frame. The brake works ok but is not particularly smooth. I'll run it like this but may investigate nokons in the future.

RyanH

by RyanH

That looks pretty extreme. Alligator iLinks could possibly handle that better.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com