Favorite Groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Favorite Groupset (Includes not released products)

Dura Ace 9000
12%
Dura Ace 9070 Di2
23%
Super Record
30%
Super Record EPS
10%
SRAM Red
9%
SRAM Red E-Tap
6%
FSA Electronic
No votes
Rotor Hydraulic
2%
Other
7%

Total votes: 185

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Tinea Pedis wrote:Lock me in for eTap.

It's love.

You're sick ;)
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

How many people have ridden all these?

I haven't even come close

Campagnolo hood shape and electronic shifting seems optimal
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

XCProMD

by XCProMD

May I vote for Campagnolo Veloce 1997? Though having a Record EPS bike that to me is the one that works best of them all, the most impressive one is the old alu frame with 9s Veloce that has taken all the beating of commuting to work, winter training and even some racing without ever missing a beat.

FreaK

by FreaK

Horze wrote:Homemade groupset is the most favorite.

DA a close second.

:D

Do tell!!!
--

my answer?
I want to like Rotor but I, like everyone else, is going to have to reserve judgement until they ride it.
Just checked out the Magura TT brakes, and they got the ergonomics all weird, which was pretty distracting, so a ride on the rotor is definitely going to be necessary to figure that one out.
Honestly i think Campy hit it out of the park with so much of the Record 10s group back in the day and then just sat on it far too long selling it to people who were afraid of the look of progress that they forgot how to do it right. However despite how ugly the 11s levers are they are hella comfy. I've never understood why people are so accommodating of Shimano's bizarre obsession with brake levers that go the wrong way, but i'll give them one thing, they know how to put a crank together out of aluminium. I've been impressed at SRAM's willingness to always undercut the other two on a weight:price basis and be on top of what's new, but that also comes with the not insignificant habit of putting out insufficiently well developed product in mass numbers. Unreliable finish coat anyone? I also like how Shimano approaches structural design of front deraileurs, SRAM's extra cable pull, Campagnolo's much more attentive machining and their more solid brakes. I hate the Skeleton brakes though, squidgy, squishy and pointlessly ugly. I like the newer Shimano brakes with the symetrical pivots, they fixed something that has been driving me nuts for a decade, but they couldn't be bothered building them elegantly.

/ramblings of an intemperate but experienced mechanic and discriminating singlespeeder who can't bear faults in things that are suppose to make his life easier.

So, if i had to buy a complete off the shelf groupo from your list in some hypothetical scenario, and it was for my own use? Super Record mechanical. Why? For my money, better ergonomics, better bearings, more elegant crank, all carbon derailleur because why not(?) and no goddamn wires or batteries on my bicycle! Maybe if i was a racer and i was building up a new bike every year something else on the list might be interesting, but not for the price a modern top of the line groupset goes for, that's a long term investment, in my experience Campy's the place to put investment money, Shimano may still make 8 and 9 speed chains, but there are no replacement parts for far too many things they made, and SRAM just wears out too damn quick, to put it very mildly.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

I love my 9000 groupsets. Aesthetically, I'm really into the looks of Campy SR, but I can't stand trying to reach the shift lever when sprinting in the drops. #faildesign
velonode.cc

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

aerodynamiq wrote:I'm really into the looks of Campy SR, but I can't stand trying to reach the shift lever when sprinting in the drops. #faildesign

No, it's #hashtag different design. Given Campag ErgoPower hasn't changed its basic design since the first iteration, it's fair to say they're happy with where it's at and the option it provides for someone who might feel the lack of a dedicated brake lever is a #faildesign.

And really that's all this thread is going to (again) prove. That we all prefer different features in our groupset - as shocking as that might be to some.

FreaK

by FreaK

I for one much prefer the little thumb lever, if you're in the drop in a tuck it falls right to hand/thumb, if you're on the hoods it's far easier to actuate accurately, especially compared to sram. There's also this hidden feature that i absolutely love. When you're on the tops cruising, depending on the reach of your bar, you can reach from there with your pinky and drop a couple gears, i feel like a bloody king every time i do it.

To be fair if you're in the drops but standing up it is nearly impossible to reach, but i could never get the sprint technique to work on sram and it's fairly as hard to sacrifice an index finger to to the same on shimano, this is where i admit there is an advantage to the electronic sets as there's almost no movement required to you aren't working against your hand position. BUt let's be clear, this all only applies when you're standing and in the drops and trying to shift to your highest gear.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

eagle34

by eagle34

Vote for DA 9000.

It's just classy and fantastic.

lella81

by lella81

6870 DI2, cheap and easy to maintain

Horze

by Horze

You could get all the best gear possible. But if/when you reach Esmeralda no amount of top tier groups or deep section wheels are going to make you much faster than a 105 group and 32 spoke handbuilt wheels.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Your opinion is about as relevant as your post. It's not a thread about what works, its about what an individual likes.
Using Tapatalk

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

I tried Shimano and SRAM when I was shopping a few years ago, and so my vote goes to Red. However, I would love to try campy mechanical sometime. As for the electronic groupsets... it's best I don't try them :lol:
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

jvanv8

by jvanv8

I would love to try eTap as it seems likely that most of us will be using wireless shifting components in the years to come.
But the initial price listings, at least in the media, are very high. I haven't checked the marketplace, but how accurate are the initial prices, from Bicycling Magazine for example:
http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/previews/sram-red-etap-step-forward-electronic-shifting
Although they list XG-1190 at USD $351, has been around for a few years and sells for closer to USD $185. Hopefully the rest of the eTap group will follow suit soon.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Campagnolo 11 speed. Religion and groupset all thrown into one, with a bit of national pride sprinkled on top. ;-)

Chorus if you are being sensible, SR if you don't have to worry about sending the kids to college.

Having said that, bought an off the shelf commuter (story for another day) and the latest Ultegra mechanical with hydraulic disc brakes is very impressive in terms of value for money thus far.

Remain seriously unimpressed with SRAM. Feels cheap, seems to last less than Campagnolo and Shimano, and I never got double-tap (my first impression was that it was a gimmick to get around the way Shimano and Campagnolo shift). Again, take this with a pinch (or several) of salt - I have never owned a SRAM equipped bike (and it would be a very, very cold day in Dante's inferno before I considered it). :mrgreen:

Again, all personal views, so no attempt to get into which is better arguments.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinman143

by tinman143

Having ridden DA to Red to Chorus 11 the past few years, I will stick with Campy. Love the form and function it brings.