Favorite Groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Favorite Groupset (Includes not released products)

Dura Ace 9000
12%
Dura Ace 9070 Di2
23%
Super Record
30%
Super Record EPS
10%
SRAM Red
9%
SRAM Red E-Tap
6%
FSA Electronic
No votes
Rotor Hydraulic
2%
Other
7%

Total votes: 185

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

:popcorn:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

corky

by corky

HammerTime2 wrote:
corky wrote:Campagnolo ...a group set from a company that is dedicated to cycling components .....nothing fishy about them
Ha ha, you were reeled in by Campy, hook, line, and sinker.

On the other hand, Shimano stays in the "sporting" areana, and doesn't make corkscrews.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

HammerTime2 wrote:
corky wrote:Campagnolo ...a group set from a company that is dedicated to cycling components .....nothing fishy about them
Ha ha, you were reeled in by Campy, hook, line, and sinker.

On the other hand, Shimano stays in the "sporting" areana, and doesn't make corkscrews.

Italiano classica designo... pure heritage.

jimborello

by jimborello

Jajaja that corkscrew is to open a bottle of wine while you install their components. They thought in everything!!

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Red E-tap doesn't allow double shifting, so I'm out there. Rotor looks interesting.

Out of the current stuff, I'd go second string rather than top of the line, but I do operate on a fairly limited budget.

CAADillac

by CAADillac

AJS914 wrote:Chorus is my favorite group. Super Record may have cool red labels and some ti bolts but it's not worth an $800 premium. I'd rather put the extra $$$ into better wheels or some weight weenie parts. I also installed my own ceramic bearings on to a Chorus crankset for $35.

Same here, but voted Super Record. Campag's 11 speed stuff has it all: excellent function, aesthetics, and ergonomics. Chorus is also quite affordable relative to similar weight groupsets.

Never really understood all the hype about DA9000 or DADI2. I spend a decent amount of time working on bikes equipped with it and it doesn't do much for me.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Either Super Record 11 Mech or EPS. Both are tops!!

fogman

by fogman

My favorite group set is Campagnolo Super Record Mechanical. Not sure if it is the best, but it is definitely my favorite.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Got to ask, Campa.... is it a brand or a religion?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

SRAM Red (for me) all the way. For the crit/racing bike, SRAM Force.
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

CBJ

by CBJ

mariovalentim wrote:I could say Di2 - which is superb - but tbh I think my favourite groupset is the new 105. It's cheap, reliable, shifts smoothly, good looking and did I mention it's cheap?

I was going to say the same. My commuter GT Carbon Grade has 105 and all of it just works so well. You can currently get a full group for 375 USD. Simply amazing value.

reknop

by reknop

Nefarious86 wrote:For me its 9000, simple and effective.

Also use a Dura Ace 9000 group set. As a mechanical engineer I'm not ready for an electrical group set. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I've had Super Record 11s but found the shifting finicky. The cable has to be adjusted just right to get clean shifts up and down. And the cable needed ongoing adjustment to keep shifting in the zone. I'd also occasionally drop the chain when shifting from big to small ring; it took finesse.

Then I demo'd Dura Ace Di2 and wow, I was blown away but how well it shifted, every time, whether the front or the back. It was a revelation, actually. I've switched and couldn't be happier.

I've ridden DA 9700 mechanical, too, and it's the best shifting mechanical system I've tried. Very precise. I prefer, though, the Campy shift lever motion over the Shimano mechanical shifting motion; in particular, I prefer the Campy thumb lever for upshifts versus having to pivot the whole brake lever on Shimano. The Campy hoods are also more comfortable than the Shimano mechanical ones, though Shimano's are getting better.

The best value, in my opinion, is Ultegra Di2. I have Dura Ace Di2 on my #1 bike, and put Ultegra Di2 on the backup bike.

bikedoc

by bikedoc

DA7800, it just worked

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Lock me in for eTap.

It's love.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com