Vision Metron 40 Clincher - Tire Width

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

What would be the ideal tire width for these wheels with rim width measured at 25mm at braking track? I've been running Vredestein Fortezza 23 on Easton EC90 (rim width 20mm) and like the combo a lot. And I still have a few spare pairs of these tires sitting in my storage. My main question is would 23mm tire too narrow for these 25mm rims in term of safety? Vision suggested minimum 23mm tire for these wheels in the owner's manual.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

I'd go for S-Works Turbo 24mm tires. Great durability, great grip - and great rolling resistance (but I can't comment on the latter).
velonode.cc

Shogunade

by Shogunade

No. 23 *should* be fine. But why?
With all the current research, you should be riding AT LEAST 25mm.

Mep

by Mep

Shogunade wrote:No. 23 *should* be fine. But why?
With all the current research, you should be riding AT LEAST 25mm.

Should everyone really be riding 25mm though? Sure you get less rolling resistance but you also get more rotational weight. How do the 2 actually offset each other? How does that change with different riders or biking conditions?

tinozee

by tinozee

I think there are a mix of theories that consider both aero and rolling resistance, internal and external rim width, tire shape once mounted, etc. I'm pretty sure the fastest on a Zipp rim was a 23mm tire due to the aero, I prefer 25mm on zipps. There was some diagram recently that showed the tire profiles when mounted on the rim for a set of different rims and tires. You don't want any lightbulb effect.

You should definitely be able to use any 23mm tire and up to 28 if you want comfort. Ideal might just be the 24. Then again some tires are labeled 23 and measure 25, etc. Not familiar with how those Verdensteins play with carbon rims. I know some open tubulars (maybe veloflex) have had issues on carbon rims and even had warnings on the package. This may be a mis-info but I did see that warning so check it out.

Mep

by Mep

That's interesting. I'd love to take a read if you still have that article or diagram handy. But this was exactly my point, don't think 25mm or any other trend for that matter should be taken as the only truth.

Shogunade

by Shogunade

according to vision, they wind-tested for two years, literally 730 days in the wind tunnel, and they found for these specific wheels, at least 25mm gave the best performance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com