FM 169 (R8) Hongfu - 2016 frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Allen254

by Allen254

Does anyone know what carbon they used on this model is it the same t1000

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nherment

by nherment

Hongfu stipulates T800 on their website (http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_info/FAQ.html). Might be T700 as well. It's probably best to ask them for that specific frame.

Allen254

by Allen254

nherment wrote:Hongfu stipulates T800 on their website (http://www.hongfu-bikes.com/html_info/FAQ.html). Might be T700 as well. It's probably best to ask them for that specific frame.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing a friend on mine said they actually use t1000 but their website states otherwise hmmm?

nherment

by nherment

Well, I find them (chinese bike resellers) quite sloppy with their marketing and their message. Some companies started being more consistent (eg. Yoeleo).
So I'm not surprised if what the bikes are made of is not clearly communicated. I'm not even sure if big brand do it better.

In any case I've sent them an email to ask about the composition of the bike (EDIT: answer is T800). I checked the avenger website and it does say T1000.

From what I understand though, it does not really matter if it's T700, T800 or T1000. What's important is the quality of the construction. T800 is going to be heavier than T1000 for the same stiffness.

Also, I assume that even if any manufacturer use T1000 in some areas of the construction, they will still use T800 and T700 in other areas. This is to balance the cost to weight ratio. But I don't really know what I'm talking about so add a pinch of salt :)

Weight does matter and the FM169/R8 is not particularly light.
The frame is 1150g (size 53) and the fork 370g (source: http://www.lambda-racing.de/rahmen_aero_road.html).
The same guys above did manage to build it with a total weight of 6.6kg (probably without pedals) which seems quite good for an aero bike.

BTW, the frame is really really similar to the Canyon Aeroad :D

EDIT: That was quick. Answer from HongFu: The FM169 is T800.

RickyKong

by RickyKong

Hi Lolek.

How do you feel about BB stiffness??

nherment

by nherment

I finally received some wheels yesterday on which I could put an cassette that would work with the bike.
Which means, I was able to ride the frame !! I first did a 2km ride to make sure everything was ok (first time assembling a bike from scratch) and mostly settle the tubes in between their rims and the tyres then an 11km 'fun' ride to test the bike and make sure it would be ready for longer rides.

A bit of context to my first impressions.
I use to have a 60cm steel frame - too big for me - with downtube shifters. with the R8 I pretty much evolved 30 years forward.

The build as it is in the following picture:
- sram force 22 groupset (mostly), 36/52
- shimano ultegra 11 speed cassette (12-28)
- ultegra direct mount brakes
- Campagnolo shamal wheelset with Michelin power endurance 25c (waiting for Chinese deep carbon wheels)

http://i.imgur.com/rtinu8K

The bike rides fantastic. Much smoother than my 30+ yo steel bike, despite a supposedly stiff wheelset.
I was able to maintain speed well beyond what I could do with the previous bike (from 25 to about 30km/h), given my abysmal fitness. Just speed up, settle in your handlebars and the bike stays there, with little effort.

On the BB stiffness, it's hard to comment right now. During the test ride, the stiffness did not struck me as being radically different than my old bike. I might have a different opinion after tomorrow's longer ride.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

shinzomaeda wrote:Unfortunately seems this frame is out of the picture for me now, as Hongfu have confirmed they will not sell to the UK !!!

Hence, I'm now looking for an alternative choice, any options to consider ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't this an option for you?

https://speedx.com/smartbike/product/en/leopardpro/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

HF's look has been refined and now looks like a major brand. They have no prob when it comes to quality.

I guess only one disadvantage is that my LBS does not like them.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

spliid

by spliid

I dont think any LBS likes them. A lot of them are still skeptical. They like the branded (expensive) stuff, and thats also what they sell :)

eric

by eric

nherment wrote: SRAM Force 22 groupset

direct mount brakes (Ultegra 6810).

The Sram levers and current Shimano Ultegra brakes have different cable pull ratios Your braking will weaker than intended and lack feel. See
http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mecha ... atibility/

nherment

by nherment

eric wrote:The Sram levers and current Shimano Ultegra brakes have different cable pull ratios Your braking will weaker than intended and lack feel.

I did not notice :wink:

pickem

by pickem

I just received my FM 169 in the mail. I will be ordering SRAM eTap to put on it, and I was concerned about using SRAM levers with Shimano direct mount brakes (since SRAM doesn't make direct mount brakes), but I don't think it's as big an issue as one might think. In this review (http://road.cc/content/review/181622-sram-red-etap), they used SRAM eTap levers with Shimano direct mount brakes.

I'll post photos when it's all built up.

Kongbop

by Kongbop

It looks like merida's aero frame

xaznperswaesonx

by xaznperswaesonx

nherment wrote:I finally received some wheels yesterday on which I could put an cassette that would work with the bike.
Which means, I was able to ride the frame !! I first did a 2km ride to make sure everything was ok (first time assembling a bike from scratch) and mostly settle the tubes in between their rims and the tyres then an 11km 'fun' ride to test the bike and make sure it would be ready for longer rides.

A bit of context to my first impressions.
I use to have a 60cm steel frame - too big for me - with downtube shifters. with the R8 I pretty much evolved 30 years forward.

The build as it is in the following picture:
- sram force 22 groupset (mostly), 36/52
- shimano ultegra 11 speed cassette (12-28)
- ultegra direct mount brakes
- Campagnolo shamal wheelset with Michelin power endurance 25c (waiting for Chinese deep carbon wheels)

http://i.imgur.com/rtinu8K

The bike rides fantastic. Much smoother than my 30+ yo steel bike, despite a supposedly stiff wheelset.
I was able to maintain speed well beyond what I could do with the previous bike (from 25 to about 30km/h), given my abysmal fitness. Just speed up, settle in your handlebars and the bike stays there, with little effort.

On the BB stiffness, it's hard to comment right now. During the test ride, the stiffness did not struck me as being radically different than my old bike. I might have a different opinion after tomorrow's longer ride.

Question:

When you installed the lower headtube bearing ... was it a tight fit to where you need to use some kind of press tool or did was it doable by hand?

xaznperswaesonx

by xaznperswaesonx

DavidMLee wrote:HF's look has been refined and now looks like a major brand. They have no prob when it comes to quality.

I guess only one disadvantage is that my LBS does not like them.

They're not that refined.

I ordered (2) FM 169 in matte black UD. Both have problems with the lower head tube slightly too small for the lower headset bearing to fit. To fit .. you'd have to dremel the hole bigger or press the bearing in. I just finish dremeling out the head tube for the bearing to fit without press fitting or hammering with a rubber mallet for one frame.

Modifications was to be expected since i'm buying a full carbon frame, seat post, and fork for a fairly cheap price compared to the branded stuff. I figured they would have sorted all this shit out with how long they've been in business and how well they've been fairly praised by the people who have bought their frames.

My guess is that if you got the FM 169 with official decals ( Avenger R8 ) the fit might be better as when i was talking to Nancy @ Hongfu .. it was an $120 up charge from the matte black UD to the black decaled Avenger R8. maybe the upcharge is for labor to refine the frame to make sure shit fits right? if that's the case .. no bueno

Also, both seat post does not seem to hold well in the frame with the supplied seat binding mech.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com